Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Miscarriage and dnc?

I want to the dr today because I was cramping and had bleeding. The baby was there but no heartbeat. They told me I could either allow my body to pass the baby or have the procedure. I'm leaving tonwards the procedure because I'm so devasted by all of this that I would like this to be behind me as fast as possible. I do not know what to expect though with this procedure. How long will I be knocked out, what is the recovery?

Re: Miscarriage and dnc?

• That is the same reason I went with the d&c... I couldn't imagine passing and seeing everything. I had to be to the outpatient clinic an hour before hand. They placed the IV and went over postcare. I was knocked out for about 25 mins and then was in recovery for about an hour before I went home. Physically I felt okay within a few days. Some cramping and soreness but the doc gave some good pain killers if I needed them. I bled/spotted for about 2 weeks- never really heavy. For the situation, I'm "happy" with the decision I had to make.

Our Miracles: BFP- May 14, 2015... diagnosed with SCH. Collapsed Sac- May 29, 2015. Determined to be failed twin tetraploidy pregnancy.
    "Never in my arms, Always in my heart"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thank you so much. This really helps. I'm sorry for your loss
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP. The thought if waiting for it to happen on its own was too scary to imagine so I opted for a d&c. I had to be at hospital at 630, procedure at 730, and was out by 9ish. I don't remember any of the procedure but I know they place an LMA to maintain your airway since the sedation makes you stop breathing. I rested that day with DH and a heat pad then was up cleaning the next day but paid for it the day after that with intense cramps. I took a week off work for physical and emotional healing and am glad I did. Honestly, the d&c was the easiest part of this terrible situation. Sorry for your loss. I hope you make the decision that is best for you and it goes smoothly.
  • What others said. The D&C from when I was rolled into the operating room and I was coming to as they rolled me into recovery only took 35min. A couple doses of phenergan (sp?) and I was discharged maybe 60-90 minutes later. Only light spotting since and I only needed the Hydrocodone script for the first 24hrs. After that, regular tylenol could handle the cervical discomfort, which felt a bit like a constant annoying mini Pap smear that was mostly aggravated by pressure from a full bladder, gas, or BM. I will always opt for a D&C and this is only my second in 12 years.
  • Ladies thank you so much. We discovered that there was no heartbeat yesterday. Since it's a holiday weekend I can't get in until Monday for the d & c. I'm still bleeding like a light period. The doctors office said I should be fine as long as I don't have any heavy bleeding. How long did you wait to have yours?
  • Well, only 6.5hrs, but that's because I had already hemorrhaged 3,000ml between one ER, an ambulance transfer, and the bigger hospital that was equipped to handle my surgery.

I spotted from weeks 5-8 with no cramps. Had an u/s with on track growth and a 139 heartbeat at 8w3d. I started light bleeding with no cramps during week 9. At 9w2d I got myself to the ER as soon as the hemorrhage started. In 2 losses and 3 deliveries, it's just what my body does. I am not the norm, spechial snowfwake, whatever you want to call it.
  • Sorry for your loss. I went for my 12 week check up on the 22nd and found out there was no heartbeat. I just had my d&c done this morning. Due to my husbands job schedule and babysitter issues today was the earliest I could do it. This is my 2nd one I've had and neither one was bad. They give you meds that make you feel amazing for about 10 seconds before you fall asleep, then you wake up in recovery like nothing ever happened. I was terrified of having to wait a week and a half to have the procedure done for fear of having a natural miscarriage that was traumatic, but it was fine. I had some light spotting for about 4 days then bled like I was having a period off and on. Just lay around as much as you can. I found that the more I tried to do around the house or attempt grocery shopping resulted in more bleeding. (Sorry if that's too much TMI) Good luck
  • No this is not TMI this made me feel better. They could take me tomorrow but I have work restrictions as well. Thank you so much.
  • I found out on a Monday that my baby had stopped growing 3 weeks prior. I didn't have my procedure until that Friday and was terrified of it happening at home before I had the procedure. So, I went about a month after my baby died and my body only cramped after my ultrasound, otherwise, no sign of expelling everything on its own.
  • I had a D&C 4 years ago, and like others have said, the actual surgery was the easiest part of this whole awful process. I did end up having some complications afterward because they didn't get everything, but from what I hear that's very uncommon. I too found out yesterday our baby had no HB so I go in for another D&C next week. Sorry so many of us are in the same boat. Life is truly unfair.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Thank you all for your responses. I have another question. The day I found out I was bleeding, which was what prompted me to call the dr. I have been bleeding on and off (mostly on) since then. They told me that if the bleeding became heavy (bleeding through a pad an hour) then I should call right away. I am not bleeding that much but the bleeding has increased and it's now red. Did anyone have this bleeding for several days? I'm debating over calling because the bleeding has changed. Any thoughts?
  • I don't have personal experience, but I've heard of women bleeding for weeks before the "big event" happens. You may be gearing up for that, or it could take a while longer. I probably wouldn't call yet, unless it starts getting really heavy. Good luck.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Hi, I'm sorry for your loss, it's a crappy 'club' to belong to, but one with great support; especially here. If you're bleeding more heavily might just be that your hormone level is dropping and your body is recognizing the mc. Doc is right, if you start bleeding more heavily with bad cramping go to doc or hospital, could be start of your mc (at any point if worried and bleeding lots it's always ok to see doc).
  • I'm 5 weeks post ultrasound that revealed no heart beat and a smaller size than I should have been. I desperately want the D&C but have been given the run around as my obgyn is very busy. I've had 3 blood tests to confirm my HCG has dropped and I have a "follow up" today. I'm so worried I'll miscarry naturally and I just don't want to see everything. I'm worried about infection now too.
  • Hi, I'm a little late, but I've had 2 D&Cs over the past year and a half, so I thought I would jump in. First, let me say that I'm so, so sorry for your loss and the fact that you have to go through this. Regarding your most recent question, I had 4 days of heavy bleeding before my most recent D&C.  Bright red blood is normal with a miscarriage, but my doctor also told me to call if I was going through more than one pad per hour. If you're unsure, it's always a good idea to call your doctor just to be safe, but what you've described sounds normal to me (based on my own personal experience only).  After having several days of heavy bleeding, I was very happy to have a D&C and at least have the bleeding slow down a bit. There will still be bleeding afterwards, but not as constant and heavy as a natural mc. 

Best of luck to you!
  • I just had a D&C done June 26th. I was 11 weeks. I found out there was no heartbeat on Wednesday and had the procedure done on Friday. I am glad that I didn't have to go through it at home. I also had a MC back in the beginning of January. That happened naturally. It was horrible. I just couldn't flush the toilet and had to make my hubby do it. During the D&C i was at the hospital for a total of 4 hours. I didn't feel so bad physically when I woke up, just slight cramping. Mentally we all have our own way of grieving, I felt empty but that is to be expected either way when you lose your baby. I would recommend the D&C. It just makes a hard process a little easier on you. I truly am sorry for your loss. Wishing and praying for your speedy recovery.