July 2015 Moms
Options

POSITIVE Induction stories? (loss mentioned)

Ladies-please share with me any positive induction stories. My first child was stillborn at 40 weeks and a medical reason as to why was not found. Of course I have been a ball of worry this pregnancy, and even though all has been perfect with this baby the doctors would like to induce me at 39 weeks (next week!). I want a natural birth..no c section and no medical hangover..but I also want to be done with the worrying and just hold my sweet girl. I'm very set on skin to skin and breastfeeding and bonding right after birth and I'm so hesitant for a medical induction...I had pitocin with my first and it was hell.

Re: POSITIVE Induction stories? (loss mentioned)

• Options
    MCH77MCH77 member
    First, I'm so sorry for you loss. ((Hugs))

I was not induced with my DS. I was given pitocin due to not progressing and ended up needing a c/s. Not the plan, but it worked.

I had a stillbirth in 2014 (at 24w) and am older (38). I've choosen to have a repeat c/s, because it will be very controlled. My anxiety is through the roof and I'm a control freak. I know this means I might not get to hold DD right away, but it works for me.

I did not have any issues with bonding/BFing DS after my c/s.

You need to find what you feel most comfortable with. Good luck deciding what works best for you.

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• Options
    I was induced and planned for a vaginal but ended up having to have a emergency csection. I knew this might be an option and before it happened I spoke to my doctor and we talked about both scenarios thoroughly. Talk to your doctor about your concerns and what you want and your past history. He/she is there to comfort you and do what is best for both you and your baby and your concerns should be heard and considered. Good luck and happy thoughts your way :D
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss, I'm not surprised you are feeling so anxious this time.

I had induction with my first daughter due to being overdue. Being based in the UK probably influenced my experience a lot as we have less involvement with obstetrics here and try to be a lot more hands off but anyway...

My cervix was very unfavourable at the beginning (Bishops score -0, some would advocate c section straight off). I had a treatment called Propesse in order to ripen the cervix but after 24hours I was only having odd irregular mild contractions and had not changed to my cervix. They broke protocol and instead of offering a c section tried Prostin which should be reviewed after 6 hours... After 6 hours still nothing much happening but still contracting, now regularly but not painful. Left for another 6 hours with no further treatment and (yey) had dilated to around 0.5cm!! The obstetrician was a colleague of mine so went above and beyond to break my waters through this tiny gap. Seemed all was doomed...

Got an epidural so they could start syntocinon (oxytocin drip), felt absolutely no pain once I had the epidural it was amazing. 6 hours on I was reassessed and fully dilated. Daughter born about 1.5 hours later as I needed a ventouse to deliver her- epidural was just too good in the end and couldn't feel my contractions.

Might not sound like a positive experience but for me it was a whole lot of nothing followed by a rapidly progressing labour and I would do it again if need be. The syntocinon does hurt, no shame in having an epidural to helP you cope xx
  • Options
    I was induced with this pregnancy and all they had to do for me was break my water and my body did the rest for me. They did give me pitocin as I wasn't progressing and my contractions were slightly irregular. I also got an epidural because I did not progress past 4 on my own. It wasn't bad at all. I don't have anything negative to say overall.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss your stress must be huge. I've been induced twice and both were delivered vaginally. Just relax as much as you can and let your body do it's thing. You'll be holding your baby soon and when it's all said and done and you hear that cry how they come out doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Ditto. Pregnancy after loss is hard emotionally, mentally, and physically. I was induced with my first and also delivered vaginally.
  • Options
    I was induced with my first (she was a week overdue).  It went great!  I got there at 6AM and they started the pitocin.  At 8 I got an epidural, and she was born at 1!  It went great.  Worst part was the catheter, but you need that with the epi anyway
  • Options
    I had a foley induction with my first. I went into the office 3 days before my edd. Then the next morning I went to the hospital at 5am the next day (2 days before my edd). When i got there, they removed the foley, broke my water and started a tiny bit of pitocin. It didn't take long to get into a good labor pattern. I got my epi around 8 or 9am and by 1:30pm I had a baby! Very smooth, fast, and pretty easy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    I had a c-section and was able to have skin to skin contact with my son right away and then breastfeed him while in recovery. I know it's not what you want but if it happens just know you can still have the skin to skin and breastfeed. Good luck to you and your baby, sending good vibes and good thoughts your way.
  • Options
    I was induced at 38 weeks for preeclampsia with DS. I was given a pill called Miso to try to ripen my cervix as I was not dilated AT ALL and pitocin works best if you're already dilated to 3. Four hours after the pill my water broke and threw me into labor without needing any other meds. I labored for 24 hours with no meds of any sort then finally broke down and asked for the epidural when I found out I was only dilated to 6 at that point. I had the epi and pitocin to keep labor going while I took a much needed nap then woke up 3 hours later being told it was time to push. I pushed for just 45 mins, couldn't feel a damn thing but did not tear. Baby was on the boob immediately and stayed there for the next hour or two until they finally weighed him. We went home less than 12 hours after delivery. My labor was long but by no means a traumatic or difficult induction. Hope that helps and good luck!
  • Options
    krk09krk09 member
    I was induced 2 weeks ago. It was a very slow process for me (over 48 hours of contractions and almost 4 of pushing), but my Dr was very good about keeping me from needing a csection. By the last hour, I really wanted one because I was exhausted, but he was very reassuring. Just make sure you tell your Dr what you want/don't want. They should be able to work with you. Just realize it sometimes takes a while. Get your drugs and try to relax :)