Baby Names
Options

Need help with a girl name

We found out today that we are expecting a healthy baby girl! Now comes the name battle. Our DD is named Emilia Vella C. So we need something that would work well with it.

I love literary names but DH usually like the names that were popular when we were growing up (Jessica, Ashley, ect).

Neither of us want anything on the top/most used names. We try to cross off the top 50 on the SS website.

He also doesn't want something that immediately connects to someone else. example: Madeleine makes him think of the former prime minister Madeleine Albright...

I know this is a tall order, but I'd appreciate any recommendations you wonderful ladies can give. I love the honesty I see on this bored.

Re: Need help with a girl name

• Options
    First thoughts:
    Cecelia
    Lorelei
    Rosalind
  • Options
    Some ideas off the top of my head:
    Vida
    Scarlett
    Josephine
    Jane
    Daisy
    Tabitha
    Corrine
    Estelle

Triple LFAF IVF Cycle:

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Aurora
    Calliope
    Clarice (might be too pop culture?)
    Minerva
    Isolde
    Margaret
    Alice
    Beatrice
    Ramona
    Cordelia
    Holly
    Phoebe
    Vanessa
    Cosette
    Pearl
    Anne
    Louisa
    Lyra
    Joan
    Jane
    Josephine

• Options
    Well, technically Jessica was "made up" by Shakespeare. This would fit your bill nicely except it may have associations. It was popular in the 80s and its techically literary. I also really like this name. It's very pretty and feminine.

Also suggesting:
    Esme (From JD Salinger's 9 Stories)
    Miranda (From Shakespeare's The Tempest)
    Alice (Carroll's Alice in Wonderland)
    Bianca (Shakespeare's Taming of The Shrew)
    Clarissa (Woolf's Mrs Dalloway)

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Options
    These are just names that I think sound nice with Emilia and that aren't super popular.

Claudia
    Juliet
    Marissa
    Gabrielle
    Natasha
    Ruby
    Diana
    Marisol
    Thalia

• Options
    Vera

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    Emilia and...

Audra
    Caroline
    Julia
    Juliet
    Laurel
    Lydia
    Natalia
    Victoria

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    How about:

Cecily
    Celia
    Natalie
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I really love a lot of these, unfortunately DH hasn't fallen for any of them yet. Any more suggestions would be appreciated!
  • Options
    Your hubs is INSATIABLE! Okay, here we go:
    Jennifer nn Jennie/Jenny
    Danielle/Daniella
    Felicity
    Elizabeth nn Libby
    Helene
    Julia/Juliette
    Sylvia
    Collette
    Nicole
    Serafina
    Michaela
    Amelia nn Amy
    Ruby
    Dahlia
    Paloma
    Rachel
    Rebecca
    Denise
    Anna
    Anya
    Annika
    Annabelle
    Heather
    Iris
    Violet
    Rose
    Kathleen
    Katarina
    Calliope
    Brynn (one or two ns? Idk.)

Going to take a break. Feedback?

• Options

Your hubs is INSATIABLE! Okay, here we go:
    Jennifer nn Jennie/Jenny
    Danielle/Daniella
    Felicity
    Elizabeth nn Libby
    Helene
    Julia/Juliette
    Sylvia
    Collette
    Nicole
    Serafina
    Michaela
    Amelia nn Amy
    Ruby
    Dahlia
    Paloma
    Rachel
    Rebecca
    Denise
    Anna
    Anya
    Annika
    Annabelle
    Heather
    Iris
    Violet
    Rose
    Kathleen
    Katarina
    Calliope
    Brynn (one or two ns? Idk.)

Going to take a break. Feedback?

You have NO idea! It was a miracle we found Emilia and agreed to it. Here's another example of my difficulties: Helena reminds him of Helen of Troy (because when you run it together it sounds like Helena). Anything with the nn Maddy reminds him of MAD EYE from Harry Potter! Like SERIOUSLY? !?!?

On another note, would choosing a name that ends with -IA sound to rhymey or matchy?
  • Options
    Girl, if you can agree on ANY name at this point go for it. Remind him that Helen of Troy was the most beautiful woman in the world! So beautiful that they fought a war over her!

• Options
    Hey @kmkrushi are there any family members he might want to honor with a name? Maybe we can twist those names into something unique for your baby! (Like Grandma was Marie so we named you Anne Marie. Something like that.)

• Options

Hey @kmkrushi are there any family members he might want to honor with a name? Maybe we can twist those names into something unique for your baby! (Like Grandma was Marie so we named you Anne Marie. Something like that.)

That was actually how we got Vella as my daughter's middle name. It was my grandmother's maiden name. We've been asking around but there are no great choices in the immediate family. My mother is Susan Pamela and his is Theresa Gail (his stepmother is also Teresa so that is out).
  • Options
    @kmkrushi - try researching your family tree for other inspiration. That's what we did. Our son has a common name, but we fell in love with it when we saw who the family connections were on both sides.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    I love your daughter's name! We are considering Emilia (can't remember the spelling exactly) because that was hub's great grandmother's name. She was born in Poland and immigrated to the U.S. Hubs is very proud of his Polish heritage! Vella is cool too; I love using family names in the mn spot!

Anyway considering those family names:
    Susanna Abigail
    Tessa Abigail
    Thea
    Susanne
    Therese nn Reese or Reesie

Other names I like that you may like in the first or middle name spot;
    Veda
    Vita
    Edith nn Edie
    Lisette
    Gloria
    Meredith
    Sabrina
    Natalia
    Natalie
    Alexandra
    Kristin
    Christina
    Raquel
    Corinne
    Coral
    Delphine
    Serena
    Vivienne
    Gabriella
    Flora
    Clara

• Options
    @MixedBerries88 thank you! My father's side is Polish and my mother's side is Italian. I loved that Emilia looked and sounded Italian, had Polish roots and had a literary history (Othello). DH loved that it was different without being weird and unpopular. He also loves her nn Emmy.

The fact that we ended up with such a great name the first time makes this one so much harder.
    The more we talk though (and the more suggestions I get ;) ) the longer our list of possible choices grow.
    THANK YOU!
  • Options
    Please check back in when you decide! I'd love to hear what you land on!

• Options
    Nothing is certain, and definitely still taking suggestions. BUT... I'm pleasantly surprised with some of our (at least partial) agreements.
    So far we both at least somewhat like:
    Josephine
    Seraphina
    Persephone
    Natalia or Talia

There may be a few more but I'm heartbroken to lose my favorites:
    Rosalind or Rosaline
    Madeline or Madeleine
  • Options
    Natalia nn Talia would be beautiful. I actually love all of those, especially Natalia and Rosalind. Persephone is a great name but I'd caution you about it. I knew an Antigone who had her name butchered constantly and a Persephone would be in that boat. ("Is your name Percy-phone?")

• Options

Natalia nn Talia would be beautiful. I actually love all of those, especially Natalia and Rosalind. Persephone is a great name but I'd caution you about it. I knew an Antigone who had her name butchered constantly and a Persephone would be in that boat. ("Is your name Percy-phone?")

That is a big fear of it for me. That and the fact that it may just be a little too different for most people. I also worry that Natalia sounds too matchy or rhymey with Emilia.
  • Options
    It is a bit matchy but not crazy...esp considering how picky your man is! Do you call her Emilia or a nn like Emmy the most?

• Options

It is a bit matchy but not crazy...esp considering how picky your man is! Do you call her Emilia or a nn like Emmy the most?

We do usually call her Emmy. I like having a cute nn with a very grown-up name.
  • Options
    Emmy and Talia are great nns that sound very different! Good stuff were onto here!

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Isla. Thalia. Julia. Beatrix. Clara. Willa.
  • Options
    LNic5LNic5 member
    Love Seraphina or Persephone!!!! I do think Natalia and Emilia are too close with the same ending
  • Options
    As of right now we're leaning toward Seraphina. And if this baby is ANYTHING like her sister, the meaning "firey one" is totally fitting. My biggest thing is a nn. I know not every name needs one. But since DD has one with emmy I feel this one should too.

The other suggestion DH gave the other day is Adeline. I know it's super trendy (plus I prefer the Lynn sounding ending of Madeleine but is Adeleine even a real name?) For some reason he doesn't like putting the damn M in front! That would make her named after one of my favorite authors, Madeleine L'Engle...

Sorry rant over. I'm about to give into DD and name her Baby Girl!
  • Options
    LOL! Don't give up yet! Don't settle for Adaline. It's a trendy mess. Your DD will be one of 10 Addies in her class.

Nn for Seraphina/Serafina: Sera, Fi/Phee, Fina/Phina.

• Options
    LNic5LNic5 member
    I definitely love Seraphina over Adeline, they're a dime a dozen in most places now I think. Seraphina is gorgeous and @mixedberries88 has some great nn ideas
  • Options

Here are some of the ideas I have been throwing around. Not TOO common but not too creative either.

Emma Marie

Sophia Jane

Olivia Rose

Abigail Rose

Harper Marie

Isabelle Rose

Coraline Rose

• Options
    Vivian Elaina or Viviana Elaine
    Rosalia Elaine is pretty too.
    I think both paid well with DD
  • Options
    So he won't give on my favorites, but he'll compromise on the middle name and I can use Rose. Some of our top names are now:

Seraphina/Serafina Rose nn Fina

Arabella Rose nn Ara (not Bella like 5 million other kids)

Delilah Rose nn Lilah or Dee (DH's family name tradition is DeLynn for boys middle name but if we don't end up with a boy, this would be a way to honor it)

Thoughts?
  • Options
    kmkrushi said:
    So he won't give on my favorites, but he'll compromise on the middle name and I can use Rose. Some of our top names are now: Seraphina/Serafina Rose nn Fina Arabella Rose nn Ara (not Bella like 5 million other kids) Delilah Rose nn Lilah or Dee (DH's family name tradition is DeLynn for boys middle name but if we don't end up with a boy, this would be a way to honor it) Thoughts?
    Serafina and Arabella are both a little airy-fairy for me (though still pretty), so my vote would be Delilah. 
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Options
    Love Lilah Rose

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    Arabella Rose nn Arie would be cute
  • Options
    I like both Seraphina and Arabella
  • Options
    Seraphina or Arabella. Second the nn Arie.

• Options
    I like the nn Arie, but the bff's baby girl is Arya so that may be too close
  • Options
    Could be too close. But then so is Ara if you think about it. Neither kind bothers me a bit! I just wish that crazy girl who wanted to use Ari as a legal name could see this! I'm pretty sure she got banned so she probably does not see this...too bad.

• Options
    Arabella nn Arie was high on our list! Love that name. I wouldn't worry about your friend's baby Arya.