Baby Names

name spelling/pronunciation issue

hey there- just looking for some thoughts on this...

my family is of Indian origin.  my husband and i like the name Ketan (pronounced Kay-than) for a boy however, as you can see by the spelling it will likely often be mispronounced.  I think it's weird to spell it phonetically or change the spelling but my husband thinks we should change the spelling.  

Thoughts?  
would you 
a. pick new name
b. use the name with the correct spelling
c. change the spelling and if so, to what? 

thanks!

Re: name spelling/pronunciation issue

• Is that name Indian? I only know the French name Gaetan. Which is not an easy name for most Americans and is not my style at all, but is more legit than Ketan, I think.

BFP #1: Nov. '12 - Bunny born in July '13
    BFP #2: July '15 - Goodbye, Kitty

Benched.

• Definitely don't change the spelling. Either stick with the name and deal with having to pronounce it for people or pick a new one altogether.
  • Loading the player...
  • @Rabbitheart15  haha- yes it is a "legit" Indian name!  there are many Indian people named Ketan but Indian people know how to pronounce it so this issue is that it will be difficult to pronounce for people here in the US   
  • Rabbitheart15Rabbitheart15 member
    edited June 2015
    Ok, google told me it's real Indian name. Agree with previous poster: take it or leave it, but don't change the spelling. Edit: sorry, we posted at the same time ;)

BFP #1: Nov. '12 - Bunny born in July '13
    BFP #2: July '15 - Goodbye, Kitty

Benched.

• I would probably find a new name. I definitely wouldn't change the spelling, but I feel like that would always be mispronounced. If I were going to use an ethnic name, I'd pick one people recognize or can easily pronounce phonetically.
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    LizWhiz87 said:

Definitely don't change the spelling. Either stick with the name and deal with having to pronounce it for people or pick a new one altogether.

Ditto
  • FlashparadeFlashparade member
    edited June 2015
    Agree with the others take it as it is or go with something different. I understand the frustration of it being mispronounced but many names from other cultures seem to have that happen since letters may have different sounds. It's a nice name though just to let you know.
  • I just learned that T is sometimes pronounced as TH in Indian named. (thanks Hetal on Master Chef!) I say spell it properly and let everyone learn something new!

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Another vote to love it or leave it. Either way, do not change the spelling... that will only complicate things more and end up leaving you looking uneducated. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • I think I'm going to have to make an exception here for my "use the original spelling" rule. I think every option (original spelling, changed spelling, new name) has its pros and cons.

The world has a long history of varying name spellings WHEN it is necessary in a new culture. For example: John / Juan / Ian / Jean. I could see how using a traditionally Indian name, where phonetics are different than in the US, could potentially make a decent argument for changing the spelling. I'm not saying OP should or shouldnt change the spelling. That's up to her. I'm saying that if an American moved to another country and slightly changed how they spelled, uh, Alice so that it was easier to pronounce for the new culture, I wouldn't side-eye it. Unfortunately I have no idea how Indian-Americans would accept the new spelling.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• If you love it I would use it with the correct spelling. If people are going to say my name wrong (which happens all the time to me and I have an English name and live in an English speaking country) I would still want my name spelled the traditional way because that's the correct spelling. 
  • Don't change the spelling! Either leave it and deal with correcting people or use a different name.

• A summary of my long-winded earlier post: if the situation was reversed, and we were talking about a European name in a country with different phonetics, I wouldn't change spelling for my own kid. But I wouldn't side-eye someone who did for theirs.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• I think it's a great name and would stay true to the original spelling.  
  • I just learned that T is sometimes pronounced as TH in Indian named. (thanks Hetal on Master Chef!) I say spell it properly and let everyone learn something new!

Funny! I didn't know there was a Hetal on master chef!

Thanks for the responses. It just reinforces what I've been feeling. We need to use it as is or pick a new name.

My husband makes an argument similar to @mattandlora which is that however the name was spelled in English doesn't mean anything since the name is not an English name to begin with and so the spelling doesn't make sense in English.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I'd find a new name, I don't think anyone will pronounce it right :(
  • I really like that name and I think you should use it and definitely keep the spelling the way it is!