November 2015 Moms
Options

20 Week Scan: Complete Placenta Previa

Husband and I had our 20 week scan yesterday and were so excited to find out that we are having a little boy. Ultrasound tech was very positive said everything was looking great and normal. However, then the doctor came in. Not only did she inform us that our little one has a cyst on his brain but the placenta is completely covering the cervix. I am on pelvic rest for the next four weeks and get lift more than five pounds. I am trying not to freak out because they scheduled another ultrasound in 4 weeks to see if anything has changed. Anybody else been through this? It's really hard not to worry.

Re: 20 Week Scan: Complete Placenta Previa

• Options
    LSRooLSRoo member
    With DS I had placenta previa at 20 weeks. I was rechecked at 32 and it completely moved up. It could definitely move up for you!!

I don't have any experience with a cyst but I wish you the best of luck!! Keep us posted.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're stressed about this. Definitely keep us posted as pp said.
    For your reference, if you search "Placenta previa" you'll find other threads where women in this board are going through the same thing and women in previous boards who've gotten past this stage. You might find some good advice and reassurance there. Best of luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a bleed at 23 weeks from my placenta previa with my son and ended up in the hospital for a week.  But it completely moved by 26 weeks and I was able to avoid a C-section.  There's still lots of time for it to move up. 

photo 2c2eea5b-cb3d-4ba5-8e22-39fd2841956b_zps4ux1rnnr.jpg

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I don't have personal experience with this, but I just wanted to wish you & your baby the best of luck! More than likely, everything will be just fine. Hang in there.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry you're dealing with this and just want to send along my well wishes. 
  • Options
    Best of luck!
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Options
    My aunt had pp at 20 weeks and her placenta moved and she was able to vaginally deliver safely. I would say try not to worry/Google too much! Good luck with everything and I'm sure all will be well :)
  • Options
    My results came in and I too have a low placenta...ugh. They said not strenuous activity but they did say in 90% of cases the placenta will move.
  • Options
    I have complete previa as well. I was diagnosed with it at 10ish weeks. The doctor told me he's not hopeful of it correcting itself. I'm on "pelvic rest" until further notice. I go for my anatomy scan next week, so FX all goes well. 

My doctor said that if by 26 weeks it's not corrected, I have to go on bed rest. Any bleeding heavier than spotting is an instant trip to the ER. and all bleeding episodes have to be reported. 

I'm not sure why they're being so serious about this. Don't get me wrong, I know the repercussions of not being careful, which is why I am being careful, but, I am starting to feel like a porcelain doll, not a pregnant woman.

Good luck to you though. I'm sorry I can't be of assistance with the cyst. I've not had that happen to either of my LOs.

Check out the High risk board, that's where I go when I have questions about the previa. There are loads of Mommas there with this diagnosis as well.
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    kbonelkbonel member
    @nikki1223 why did they say no strenuous activity? I have a low lying placenta too but there was no warning on working out or anything else. Curious to know what your doc said and if I should have asked that specifically.
  • Options
    At my 8 week U/S had a complete placent previa for this pregnancy. At 19 weeks it moved up and out of the way :) was on pelvic rest as well since 8 weeks. Only a small percentage of previas persist later in pregnancy (I recently read 1/200 previas will persist to term. Good luck and keep us posted and don't stress to much!
  • Options
    @kbonel...I run a lot and it was recommended that I stop to avoid any impact on the uterus. They also don't want any strain on the uterus so house cleaning is limited (not complaining) and no intercourse. Apparently if you rest there is more of a chance the issue will correct itself. I am not thrilled about the limitations but I would like to have a natural birth if possible so I am doing whatever they tell me. In terms of exercising I have switched to biking or walking at least 3 miles and incorporating light weights. 
  • Options
    kbonelkbonel member
    Dang it! It's making me wondering if I shouldn't lay off the running. Before pregnancy I feel like I would just work through discomfort, it's hard to change the mindset. Thanks for answering. :)
  • Options
    Placenta previa is known to change. Mine worked itself out by 17 weeks (we discovered it at a scan done at 11 weeks due to bleeding and cramps) so hopefully yours will too. If not it'll result in a c section. Just be careful and take the pelvic rest seriously. Orgasm and breast stimulation will cause your uterus to contract which isn't good when you have placenta previa.
  • Options
    @kbonel...no problem. It has been really tough. I took my little cousin to a race yesterday and it was killing me not to race. I know I have to do what is best for the baby but I am hoping that at the next ultrasound everything is fine and I can get out and at least jog. Otherwise, once the baby is born I will have to hit the pavement hard to get back to my normal pace.

• Options
    Placenta previa at 11 weeks, posterior placenta 21 weeks. Bed rest sucks, but floow orders and things most likely will be all right.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had complete placenta previa at my 16 week ultrasound and it moved completely out of the way by the 20 week ultrasound. Hopefully yours will clear up too!
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with this but I just wanted to send you and your baby well wishes. Good luck!
  • Options
    lanirelanire member
    I just found out today at the anatomy scan that I have placenta previa as well. They told me no heavy lifting, strenuous exercise, or intercourse :( On the plus side, they did say that this often corrects itself.