1st Trimester
Options

Just starting to take basal temp and have questions

We are on month 3 of TTC and I started taking my temp this cycle.  The first day it was 97.20 and this AM it was 97,18.  I have read many people and some of these threads saying they can be EXTREMELY sensitive to just about anything, from time of morning temp is taken to movement before you actually take the test.  Just wondering what experiences people have had with this.  I was guessing that the difference is probably being cause by any # of things, but just wanted to get some input from people.  Thank you

Re: Just starting to take basal temp and have questions

• Options
    I think you should take this question to the TTGP board. The ladies there have a ton of knowledge!
  • Options
    Alyllyra said:
    I think you should take this question to the TTGP board. The ladies there have a ton of knowledge!
    This - While some in first tri may have temped to help get here - temping related questions are definitely better on the TTGP board.  But in short - 
    .02 degrees is not that big a deal - My pre-O temps varied by at least .5 degrees from low to high.  Consider yourself lucky that your temps are fairly steady.

The book Taking Charge of Your Fertility (TCOYF) as well as the tutorials of Fertility Friend (FF) both explain everything you need to know about temping and how to "troubleshoot" reading unclear charts.  I definitely recommend reading through at least one of them.  Most of the women on TTGP use FF to chart, so if you aren't already, I would recommend downloading that app.  

Keep in mind also - your chart will make far more sense and be more clear AFTER ovulation is confirmed/you have a full cycle of temps. individual temps mean nothing.  Be patient and wait for a pattern to emerge!  Good luck!
    28yo, TTC#2 since 6/2014
    Kiddo #1 = 10 cycles of trying, 1 CP and is now a toddler
    TTC#2 since 2/2017

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You'll need to experiment this first month...hundredths of degrees usually don't indicate ovulation. Generally my pre-o temps varied by .2 in either direction, and post-o they would steadily increase by .3 to .6 above pre-o. But it's different for everyone.

Also, some ladies find that it's super important to temp at the same time every day. I wasn't that way. I would temp the first time I woke up after a 3+ hour stretch of sleep, regardless of time, and that worked for me. Also, some ladies, particularly those that mouth breathe at night, find it better to temp vaginally than orally. Read the newbie blog on TTGP and then ask them your questions...the blog and the regulars over there gave a ton of knowledge.