Breastfeeding
Options

Three month old doesn't nurse anywhere except home

Hi everyone, 
My name is Holly, and I am new to the Bump community. I searched through previous breastfeeding questions, but was unable to find the answers I was looking for, so I apologize if this is a repeat question.
My son is EBF now for three months. Him and I have absolutely no trouble. He has always had a great latch, I fortunately have a great supply, and he nurses happily whenever he wants. The only time he ever gives me trouble is if he is going through a growth spurt and my flow is just not fast enough for his liking. But that passes just as soon as the growth spurt ends. 
My problem is he completely refuses to nurse anywhere but at home! I have tried to bring him out to the park (I have an 18 month old daughter as well who loves to be outside) and nurse and he refuses. He screams and flails and will not even try to latch. I don't like to use a cover, so I did not use one. I then tried a cover, because I thought maybe he didn't like the brightness outside. Nope, that did not work either. I ended up having to leave so he could eat. When he was a newborn, I was able to get him to nurse at my sister's house or at my in-laws, but now he refuses there as well. We visited my in-laws the other day, and could only stay for an hour and a half because he would not eat there. Another issue that has come up, is if anyone visits my house, he now refuses to nurse then as well. For example, my sister and her two year old and four year old sons came over to visit for the day a few days ago, and my son would not nurse, no matter what I tried. I ended up having to shut just him and I in his room and nurse him, which was not fun for either of us, because he was uncomfortable, and my back was killing me! As soon as my sister left that evening, everything was back to normal. Nursing perfectly fine. I am at a loss as to why this happening and what to do about it. I thought maybe I was not letting down when I was around other people, but I know that is not the case, because I can feel myself let down. When he is that upset, I almost immediately let down, and I can feel it.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is your advice? Am I doomed to stay in my house until he decides he's done breastfeeding?! Haha.
Thanks in advance!

Re: Three month old doesn't nurse anywhere except home

• Options
    Yes, I am in the middle of this now. Like all things, "thus too shall pass."

My son, who is now almost five months, was almost for months when the nursing craziness started. In addition to a strong preference for side lying nursing, he became so distractible. Even at home I would have to go in our dim bedroom to nurse. He's just a busy guy! Here are strategies that I have find that make it easier for me to get out:

- Unapologetically ask if I can lay down on someone's bed when I am visiting a house.
    - nurse standing up and swaying
    - nurse in the car. It is darker, quieter, and generally pretty boring to look at. (unless there is a tree branch waving in the window. Then forget it.)

Following for other ideas!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you! I have had to resort to nursing while standing and swaying. Wow, does that kill my back! Haha! 
    I think nursing in the car is something I will have to try while we are out. That sounds like a pretty reasonable option.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same exact thing is happening to me right now! Very frustrating, but trying to be patient and wait for it to pass!
  • Options
    Is there a local babywearing group in your area? They can help you learn how to wear and nurse and lots of groups have lending libraries so you can try before you buy.
  • Options
    My DD was similar. She refused to nurse anywhere but laying down together on my bed with no distractions. Nursing her was awful because my DS is only 16 months older than her. So I ended up letting him watch tv every time I nursed her because it was the only way to avoid distractions. She would seriously scream and refuse to eat until I laid down in my quiet room to nurse her. And she would get distracted by any tiny noise and then not latch back on. When I switched her to a bottle at 8 months she was the same way at first but adjusted eventually to eating out of the house. When my mom came to help out when I got my wisdom teeth removed she said she had never seen a baby be so particular about eating. My mom had to lay down with her on my bed to get her to take a bottle at all, even though she was starving.

I wish I had advice but all I have is empathy.
    Baby #1 DS born August 2012
    Baby #2 DD Born January 2014
    Baby #3 ?? Due June 5 2015