High-Risk Pregnancy

Velamentous cord..anyone ?!

krmum92krmum92 member
edited June 2015 in High-Risk Pregnancy
So a few weeks ago I had my 20 week ultrasound and they told me I had a velamentous cord. The baby was completely fine, everything is growing good and she's actually 5 days ahead of schedule. I have never heard of this and I know it's kind of uncommon. There is nothing the doctors can do..just have to monitor her closely now. Any other mothers have this or have had it?

Re: Velamentous cord..anyone ?!

• e1223e1223 member
    I had this with my daughter but didn't find out until after the birth- thankfully everything was fine except for the placenta not coming out easily- they had to use foreceps to get it out bc the cord tore.
  • I was diagnosed with velamentous cord insertion at my 20 week ultrasound also (25 weeks now). Baby boy is measuring fine and the OB doesn't seem overly concerned. I am being monitored every 4-6 weeks now and more often as delivery gets closer but have not been placed on any restrictions She states that there is a good chance that I will be able to deliver as normal but that there are a few typical things they won't do because they are aware of the issue. For example, they won't break my water. Also, if I don't spontaneously deliver the placenta they won't tug on the umbilical cord since is risks hemorrhaging but, like the previous poster mentioned, will go in manually to retrieve it. There are certainly other risks that can develop but knowing ahead of time minimizes risks to you and the baby. Thank goodness for modern medicine!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had this with my 2nd son. The concern for me, however, was that I also had vasa previa- the vessels from the cord were too close to the cervix. They moved up but not enough that my MFM was comfortable with me going into labor so I had a scheduled c section. My MFM told me it is more common with IVF pregnancies (which mine was).

TTC since 10/07
    11 medicated cycles
    including...
    4 IUIs*5 IVFs*1 FET
    2 chemical pregnancies*missed m/c @8w 9/09*missed (twin) m/c @8w 5/10
    Laparoscopic myomectomy 8/10

Chromosomal translocation of #2 now requires ICSI and PGD

IVF #4= success!!! G-man born 8/18/11

IVF #5 2/2013 = N born 10/10/13 at 35w3d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers