June 2015 Moms
Options

Working Mom Check In - Maternity Leaves Ending?

Re: Working Mom Check In - Maternity Leaves Ending?

• Options
    @heidiiwa I agree with @jesshrou your employer must provide a clean, private area to pump. You can look up the laws in your state https://breastfeedinglaw.com and inform your boss. Other than that I'm glad that breastfeeding is going well with your LO!

Just got through only 2 days of work with no students. I'm about to start day 3 and we have a parent orientation later this evening. Hasn't even been a whole week and I'm so tired!!!

@lany07 Crossing my fingers things go well for you and your DH when you go back. I hope your students will be more understanding of you after having a baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sammy K said:

And unlike FMLA, small companies are not exempt from providing a place to pump unless they can prove undue hardship. It expressly cannot be a bathroom. Know your rights, ladies, and don't be afraid to speak up. We all deserve better than a crappy bathroom.

Unfortunately not every boss is accommodating, I'm also pumping in the bathroom. At least they gave me a chair and desk to do so? While I would love to pump elsewhere, Job security is much more important at the moment. Legally I know my rights, but in a small company it would be really akward if I were to have to fight for it
  • Options
    Legally I know my rights too, but I am actually comfortable in the small private bathroom I found (not the one initially recommended to me, which had just an uncovered toilet seat to sit on!) so I doubt they could find me a better place. So I'm ok without bringing it up. I'm only working here till the end of the month anyway.
  • Options
    @krystleshel I'm so happy things are settling into a pattern for you! Keep up the great work!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Today was my first day back. I had DH take him to the sitter's house. I was doing pretty good until I got a text from a friend while waiting for breakfast. She texted that the first day back is the hardest and she was thinking about me. So sweet, but the tears started. I got to work and during the mornings my when people asked how I was doing the tears would start. I did my best to immerse myself into work so I couldn't think about baby boy. By the afternoon I was doing better.

Our sitter texted me throughout the day to check in. DH picked LO up and said he had such a great day at the sitter's house and that her kids love LO. It was good to hear but boy do I miss my little guy!

I get sad thinking about going back on Monday. And I love my job I just miss my LO! Hoping this gets easier!!!
  • Options
    Are there any other navy mommys having trouble with the new maternity leave policy? Just curious as to how you are handling it, we're having too many issues where we are.
  • Options
    This is my last week with LO and now we likely have to drive 6 hours to a wake on Friday ... I selfishly don't want to give up my remaining time with her! :(
  • Options
    @krystleshel I've been feeling fatigued too! I don't feel too nauseous but I think my sinuses are acting up.

Just got through day 2 with my students. Good lawd, I'm so exhausted!!! During my conference period I just want to sleep but there's so much to do. I keep telling myself just two more days until the end of the week. I'm definitely not being the best teacher right now and I hate that. I hope I'm not pushing myself too hard.

@hoodoll82 is there a way you could skip going to the wake? I totally understand how you want more time with your LO. The days counting down before going back to work always feel so short :(

Btw I saw the story you shared about the lady buying your formula! I loved it! Nice to know there's still good people that exist in this world.
  • Options
    CillyMama said:

@hoodoll82 is there a way you could skip going to the wake? I totally understand how you want more time with your LO. The days counting down before going back to work always feel so short :(

Btw I saw the story you shared about the lady buying your formula! I loved it! Nice to know there's still good people that exist in this world.

Yes! Current proposition is to drop me and LO off at my mom's house, who lives conveniently halfway between home and the wake. Which would mean some grandma time for LO and help for me!

So in the "worst case" scenario I'm still in good shape. Thankful DH is being so good about it. He keeps saying he doesn't want to ruin my last week with LO. It's not his fault!
  • Options
    I'm starting back Monday. Any advice from the moms who have already started? How did your LO handle the transition? I'm nervous. I feel like I'm about to disrupt her whole world & she has no idea what's coming. I know we can't be with them forever but the transition just seems so overwhelming. Not to mention still not sleeping enough which makes me more emotional. Thanks in advance for any encouragement!
  • Options
    I go back on Monday. Even though the days are exhausting with her, I am already missing her face (she's napping right now and I have a stupid urge to wake her up).
  • Options
    Go back Sept 21. I'm excited to be around adults again in the corporate world and feel like I am helpful in decision making (work in retail at corporate office) but also know I could get there and totally hate being back in that environment. Should be interesting, I just never saw myself staying at home all day for the rest of my life, maybe after kid 2 but not right now. We'll see how my opinion will be after a few weeks in.
  • Options
    I go back Monday, too. I have no reason to dread it as much as I do. I have a low stress, family friendly job, DH is watching LO for the first couple days, and I'm totally happy with our daycare. It just feels so soon. And a lot of time away. LO is just so small still. And I've had a good summer and don't want it to end. And I hate pumping- is going to feel so gross doing it at work.
    I still don't really "see" myself being happy full time at home for much longer (at least with only one. I get bored and isolated). Don't really know what I want :( but I'm going to look at some part time options.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    My start date originally was sept 9th but I just called today and asked to use 3 vacation days so now my start date back is sept 14th. Still don't wanna go back :|
  • Options
    Today was my first day. DH dropped her off at daycare, so that part was easy and I am always so busy at work I didn't dwell on it much. I was driving to pick her up and I got more and more emotional the closer I got - I just couldn't wait to know she was ok! I had visions of walking in and her seeing me and grinning really big, but instead her eyes were super red from not napping very well and she seemed in a daze. Poor dot!

She smiled huge at her dad though as soon as we got home. Stinker!
  • Options
    I know I'm the minority here, but I can't wait to go back and feel like a real adult again. This one has been tough and I feel like I'm not doing a very good job anyway. I'm not looking forward to the first 2 weeks of her adjusting since she doesn't nap well unless she's next to me or in the swing. But we'll survive.
  • Options
    Sammy K said:

I know I'm the minority here, but I can't wait to go back and feel like a real adult again. This one has been tough and I feel like I'm not doing a very good job anyway. I'm not looking forward to the first 2 weeks of her adjusting since she doesn't nap well unless she's next to me or in the swing. But we'll survive.

Today was our first day of daycare, and it went great. I agree with you, I was ready (and looking forward to) going back so my mind could be on things other than baby. And my babies aren't nearly as tough as yours is @Sammy K

• Options
    Going back this Thursday, 3 days a week. I don't think I would ever truly feel "ready" for it. I will so miss these days with just LO and me, especially since now all my days "off" will be with both boys. Don't get me wrong, I love them to pieces, but it certainly makes for a more stressful day. I shed a few tears today thinking about it, but am also sort of looking forward to going back. I do love my job. I would probably love it even more if they hired a replacement for my former coworker (who was awesome) so I'd have someone to share the load with!
  • Options
    I am going back to work in 2 weeks and just found out last week that LO is refusing bottles. I didn't see that one coming since she was so good with them earlier on. Now I am trying to fed her atleast 1 ounce of milk a day from the bottle but has been an hour of struggling sometimes. I am stressed out about returning to work now and her being miserable. Has anyone dealt with this yet? (Used medela calma and Chicco slow flow)
  • Options

I've cried 3 times today just thinking about going back and I still have 3 1/2 weeks left.

I joke a lot about us all reading too many parenting books, but the only one I've actually read was Dr. Sears' guide to the first two years. One thing he said that really stuck with me was not to ruin the time you have prematurely mourning the end of that time together.

It's a very rational approach to a very emotional situation, so may be hard advice to take... But it's something I've taken to heart.
  • Options
    I'm sorry if I've missed it, but are any of you ladies working from home? I "return" to work on October 1, and I can choose full or part time (because I could take another few months off unpaid, and my boss wants me back sooner, so is being wonderfully flexible).

1) I'm wondering about tips for working from home. Obviously I will have child care (DH, mother, MIL). But what else might I not realize will take my time, other than nursing?

2) we could use the money, so I'd prefer to work full time. I don't think that will be an issue, especially considering the posts from all the warrior moms here who work outside the home. But any reason I'm not realizing why I should stay part time at first? DH wants me to, to help with the adjustment (since we are temporarily moving yet again)...

Thanks for any tips, and apologies again if I've overlooked previous posts on this!
  • Options
    Sammy KSammy K member
    edited August 2015
    AMNDCHR2 said:

I am going back to work in 2 weeks and just found out last week that LO is refusing bottles. I didn't see that one coming since she was so good with them earlier on. Now I am trying to fed her atleast 1 ounce of milk a day from the bottle but has been an hour of struggling sometimes. I am stressed out about returning to work now and her being miserable. Has anyone dealt with this yet? (Used medela calma and Chicco slow flow)

Is it just from you? My LO has refused bottles from me for the last few days but will still take them from DH. I bet that at daycare it will be fine. Maybe the first feed they will refuse, but a hungry baby will take a bottle, especially if a boob isn't an option. I know it doesn't make you worry any less. I hope it goes well!

ETA Autocorrect prefers "booby"
  • Options
    AMNDCHR2 said:

I'm still working on the whole bottle thing.. She took a few when she was 2/3 weeks old and hasn't since.. Now she's Atleast playing with it instead of screaming.. Last night before bed it was dark and she was almost asleep , let go of the boob for a min so I stuck the bottle in and she drank a little! I'm going to try the same tonight. Maybe it will help with taking it during the day.
  • Options
    Day 2 of work and daycare. Things seem better! LO didn't have puffy tired eyes from bad naps today - so that's a win. She still seems very sleepy this evening I'm sure just from the huge adjustment and overstimulation. Putting her down for bed should be easy again tonight.

I think what I am having the most trouble adjusting to is the nightly routine. I feel like I see LO for 5 minutes before it's bedtime. That's a definite exaggeration, but I feel like I had prepared for quick, busy nights and its surprised me how much worse it is! Washing bottles, prepping things for the next day, bath time, bed time and maybe even a normalish dinner. I'm beat. Forget delivering meals to people with newborns! From now on I'm going to wait and take people meals once they return to work! (Only half joking)

@virginiaunicorn11 I'm not sure if that perspective helps you at all since you work from home and won't be specifically dealing with a daycare, but overall I'd say just the adjustment to the time not spent directly with LO and any extra prep is a big shock to the system. At least you can still do nursing breaks!
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 I work outside the home, but I'm self employed, so I set my own appointments and schedule. I get very busy from mid September through Mid December.

My twins go to an in home daycare. I purposely chose to send them now, when my schedule is still light. This way, we can get used to our new morning routine without having the feel the stressors of getting out he door by a specific time.

I will ease my way in to basically full time days over the next few weeks.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start part time for a week or two, then jump into full time. Put a specific timeline on the full time start. Kind of a compromise. You'll get what you want (full time pretty quickly) and your husband will get what he wants (the transition period).

You'll figure out what works best for you. That's just my two cents.

• Options
    ciennah99ciennah99 member
    edited August 2015
    @krystleshel I am dealing with extreme fatigue too, very hard. Mine aggravates my chronic pain issues making it hard to sleep which doesn't help matters. Only 2 days down & work is so stressful and I'm only working half days this week too. Hopefully as LOs start to wake less at night we will get more rest & it won't be so hard.
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 my DH works from home. He ends up helping with LO during the day way more then he'd like but who says no to a crying baby? It's only when I have to shower, etc stuff like that but still
  • Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a breast pump bag?
  • Options
    @SmashJam I remember that with DS! I told DH I didn't like having to smell another woman.
  • Options
    I'm on day 3 of returning to work and HOLY COW I am tired for no explicable reason!

DH is home with LO so I don't even have the additional stress/earlier wake up time related to drop offs... I'm a little concerned! Although maybe easing in this way is the best way to have done it - LO starts daycare in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    First day back at work in the am.. I'll be the one hauling 25 bags of baby gear, pumping stuff, food (I'm always so hungry!), & my massive "purse." Will also be carrying DS1 and baby for the daycare drop off. I have so many lists of things to bring that I hope I don't forget something. I am, however, hoping that the chaos of the morning distracts me from thinking about leaving LO. Wish me luck! :-bd