July 2015 Moms
Options

Recovery after c-section

So I just found out I'm going to be scheduled for a c-section, which I didn't plan on it. My questions are for those of you that had one before. How long does it take to recover? How long till I can drive? Will I be able to move around? Will I be able to pick up my baby?

I'm really freaking out because I don't have ANYONE at home to help me. I just don't know how I'm going to manage this on my own.

Re: Recovery after c-section

• Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    Moving around well will take some time but you should be able to walk around your house by the time you get released. Make sure you walk around the hospital each day, walking helps you heal. Complete recovery takes up to 8 weeks, even though you should be feeling a lot better before then, your insides take longer to heal. Do not overdo it, you can tear your incisions and cause much more damage. I believe I was told no driving for four weeks but I had to at two weeks, there was no one available to take us to the pediatrician, just make sure you are off of your prescription pain meds first and don't go off of those until your body can handle it. You can definitely pick up your baby, but you will have a weight limit for a while.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    Hello --

I had a C-section with my first and will be having another with this baby. For me, I was in the hospital for 3 nights. In your discharge instructions, they'll let you know that you shouldn't lift anything heavier than your baby (so you'll definitely be able to hold the baby). In terms of moving around, as long as you limit stairs, you'll be OK. The first few days are tough, but the pain meds were super helpful for me (I was taking Motrin as recommended by the Dr). I wasn't able to drive for 2 weeks afterward.

I'm sure things will turn out just fine!

Take care,

Kate
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. It makes me feel better to know I will be able to pick up my baby but oh gosh I live on the second floor so I guess I won't be going anywhere for a while lol!
  • Options
    Make sure you let your nurses and doc at the hospital know you will be going home alone! They may be able to keep you and extra day or two. I just had a c seco4 weeks ago and the extra day they kept me made a world of difference. I was having trouble just getting on and off the toilet the day they originally wanted to discharge me and the extra day of rest and pain management helped a lot! Also do not lay down! Sleep sitting upright. I tried to sleep laying down too early thinking I would just roll over to get up, no go. Don't underestimate how sore your ab muscles will be. It took my husband and my mom to get me up and I cried. As long as I sat/ slept propped upright, I was able to get up/down no problem. Also don't be a hero, take the meds they give you and if you need a refill, get one! They didn't make me woozy or anything so they won't affect your ability to care for your baby. It's definitely not as bad as you would think, especially if you take care of yourself!