April 2015 Moms

Severe gas

Hi moms, anyone experienced severe gas in their newborn? My little girl is 8 weeks and gets mostly breastmilk except for 1-2 bottles of formula per day. I started with Honest Co but she got constipated so I changed her to Earths Best Sensitivity for gas about 2 weeks ago. The last few days she strains and bunches up in pain trying to pass gas. I gave her Mylicon drops last night but haven't seen much of a difference. Seems she can only pass gas when she pushes very hard or when we bicycle her legs or push them up for her. Wondering if I should call the DR. FTM and watching her struggle and be in pain is heartbreaking!

Re: Severe gas

• My little guy farts like a grown man! He seems to be able to push them out when he lays on his back on his changing pad. We also do bicycle legs with him which helps. I normally hold him upright for a bit longer after burping him because that helps him get some of the air out. I also hold him across my chest with his head higher than his butt while bouncing on a big exercise ball. For some reason that helps get his gas out too.

I hope some of this helps. :)
  • Our little one is very gassy too. He is 10wks at the last appointment our dr suggested giving him colief to help breakdown the lactose in my breastmilk. It has helped some but we still give him has drops with almost every feeding.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sometimes holding something warm against baby's tummy will help. You can put uncooked rice in a sock and microwave it. It acts like a hot water bottle. Just be careful it doesn't get too hot.
  • We struggled with gas too. Baby is 12 weeks and it's gotten better over the last couple of weeks. One thing that would help is holding his legs up while he's flat on his back, like you're going to wipe his bum during a diaper change. Doing that would sometimes help push the gas out (or even poop). Simethicone drops didn't seem to help very much but they would sometimes calm him a but because he liked the grape flavor. Good luck.
  • My LO also has really bad gas. She is exclusively breastfeed and what works for us is to burp her during a feeding to get the gas up instead of out. We have also tried Gripe Water and it works really well it will also aid in getting rid of hiccups as well:)
  • We have used every formula possible! If your breastfeeding cut all dairy.. Find a formula with a pro biotic in it, we use Gerber Soothe.. Also you can find probiotic drops online for breastfeed babies. We use mommys bliss gripe water as well and burp half way through feedings. Seems to be helping and she has relief. Good luck
  • Bouncer seat has helped my baby when he's uncomfortable and it has also helped him pass gas/bowel movements.
  • How is your baby's pooping? Gas can also be caused if baby's backed up so here's a trick I use to help my little guy out:

After a feeding sit baby in Boppy facing you with their head propped up and legs bent resting on your belly. Allow your baby to kick naturally while in the "scrunched" position for several minutes. They should pass gas or poop while in this position. I like to make a game out of it by putting my hands under his feet and have him kick them while I encourage him.

I've told a few friends to try this and it has worked for them as well, in some cases too well! Just make sure you're prepared for a blowout in case your baby really lets loose! I do this everyday with my LO to help keep things moving and because he loves to kick my hands
  • AcjjmcAcjjmc member
    Have you tried working on tummy time. I was talking to my doctor about all my boys gas. She stated keep doing tummy time strengthening the muscles he can push out the air easier. She said the drops only work for so long.