Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Prolactin tumor and breastfeeding

just looking to see if anyone else has prolactinoma (prolactin tumor on pituitary gland) and has successfully breastfed?
Neither my colostrum or my milk is coming in. Baby latches and sucks, but after 15 minutes on both sides nothing comes out. (Baby was born 6/27/2015).

Re: Prolactin tumor and breastfeeding

• Options
    :: lurking::

I have a prolactinoma myself, and was strongly discouraged from breastfeeding due to the fact that it can enlarge due to breastfeeding. Did you check with your endocrinologist?

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I have an appointment with her in a few weeks to check my prolactin level. During pregnancy she told me that if I can breastfeed and choose to do so, she would continue to keep me off my meds until I was finished.
    It's amazing how many people have never heard of prolactinoma (especially when it comes to the nurses and lactation consultants in the Mother/Baby floor of my hospital)...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    tbn05tbn05 member
    I have a hyperprolactinemia due to a prolactinoma and am currently exclusively breastfeeding my second baby. With both I did have to supplement for a few days until my milk came in but once it came in I didn't need to supplement at all. My endocrinologist said there is no issue at all with breastfeeding. We keep tabs on the size of the tumor with visual field testing since I can't take meds or get MRIs while pregnant or breastfeeding. My Tumor did not enlarge.