Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Husbands helping ??

bee19831bee19831 member
edited June 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
My husband is pretty good BUT ! During the week I do all nights to let him sleep. But come the weekend when he is off we trade feedings at night . I'm exhausted as our son wakes up every one -3 hours lately . Just wondering what everyone else does ? My husband is awful at nighttime feedings he will sleep thru the crying !!! So I find I don't trust him fully with it , but I feel it's very unfair I never get a full sleep

Re: Husbands helping ??

• Options
    my husband is bad at wakin up at night as well so I do all the night time feedings but I ebf so I prefer to feed baby whenever I am with her so I don't mind . He instead gets up a little earlier to change and keep her happy while I get some more sleep until she is hungry again . Hopefully your Lo starts to sleep longer stretches I-)
  • Options

My husband has never done a single MOTN feeding with either kids. I would just lay awake and worry he was doing it wrong anyways. Instead, I ask him to help during the day, or get up early with the kids and let me sleep in, etc. Just be honest with him and tell him you need a little more help.

FWIW, I've always thought that mom's simply do more work, especially when kids are young. It's just the way it goes.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    So far not really... I'm a little shocked! I'm aching from my c section still ( baby is 5 days old) and he gets so upset when I ask him for help or if I can't answer a question of his immediately. I'm a FTM, so I don't have the answers. My response is normally, "I don't know, let me look it up or google it".
    Even the small things... I literally left a note on the toilet lid saying please don't close it as I'm having a hard time bending down to open it. Sure enough, I have to go to the bathroom but couldn't. I just spent a good 10 minutes trying to get a good angle to reach the lid to open it.
    Even with the request to quit smoking. Since our first date he always said once we have kids he would stop. Sure enough, we have a baby here now and he is still smoking.
    So I'm a tad aggravated to say the least!
  • Options
    i am actually surprised with how well my husband is doing with baby #2. with our first he would sleep through night feedings and just overall uninterested ( we were 19&20) so that might be why, but with this one.. he is a night owl and doesn't go to bed till 5/6am so he has our daughter that time and I wake up and take care of her all day while he sleeps then is at work. it has worked so far! like last night I was out by 1am and baby didn't wake me till 8am.
  • Options
    I'm breastfeeding so hubby can't help with that, but he is helpful. He'll get whatever I need water, pillows, change babies diaper, etc. I wants to help more but to me I'd rather he sleep as much as he can and then watch baby in the afternoon so I can nap. He's doing really great with taking care of our 4 year old as well. So I can't complain. Last night I even let him have a break and go hang with his buddies for a few hours so he can get some time out of the house.
  • Options
    My fiancé is pretty good, in the beginning he was up with us at every feeding and diaper change. Now he's (slacked off) a bit more, but he works a ton so I know he's tired. Our baby girl gets up about 3:30 to eat and again around 6 am, he doesn't usually feed her, but he does get the bottle or diaper etc. I know he's exhausted. In the evenings when he gets home or on his days off he gives me a break, time so I can shower or just go wander around a store and find my sanity again!
    Engaged to the best guy I know and Mommy to the sweetest girl!
  • Options
    qtjo5qtjo5 member
    My husband has been amazing. I am breast feeding so he can't help with feedings but he jumps in and does a ton. I am recovering from a c section and then it go infected, so I am a mess. Without him I would be a bigger mess!
  • Options
    I swear men are not biologically programmed to hear babies at night like women are!  We had our son in a crib in our room for the first 4 months, and he did not wake my husband up once!  Also - both my parents would come to visit, and my mom always told me she heard the baby wake up in the middle of the night, and my dad never heard a thing.  Men!  :-)

Are you working?  Hopefully not.  It always helped me to think of my "job" as caring for the baby, and that my hours were just very erratic everyday...not 9 to 5 anymore.  My husband really did need his sleep for work.  He works 10-12 hours straight during the work week.  At least I was able to get cat naps in or even just a little relaxing time in during the day to try to stay rejuvenated.  Good luck!