2nd Trimester
Options

Finding Neutral Baby Clothes?

Hello! Hubby and I have chosen not to find out the gender of our baby and although it's all very exciting I'm finding it nearly impossible to find neutral baby clothes! We've found some gear here and there that isn't super gendered, but onesies and basic outfits are so difficult. Anybody have any good resources? Even searching for "neutral" or "unisex" baby clothes online will often lead Google to tell me, in whatever website's blurb, "find neutral baby clothes at whatever.com..." but when I click the link it's all simply BLUE or PINK. Blegh.

Any tips sincerely appreciated :)

Re: Finding Neutral Baby Clothes?

• Options
    We are also not finding out this time and something important to remember is you really only need the really small pieces right now, like newborn and maybe a couple 0-3.  After that you will know the gender and unless you are determined to continue to dress the baby in gender neutral clothes you can get clothes then.  I really like Carter's brand of clothes and they have some gender neutral on the website and most of the stores I've been in.  If in doubt I always lean toward the boy stuff because that seems to be more neutral than the girl stuff.  Good luck! 

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Carters, Target, some old navy prob more online. I don't like your typical green and yellow so have found some Aqua accent and grey/white outfits at these places. Still not a TON of options but prob enough for a week or two.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've found most of our "gender neutral" clothing in the boys sections. There are a lot of items there that can go both ways (girls clothing had too much lace and frills to go both ways) and you can always add a bow, or cute frilly booties to a little girl.
  • Options
    I recommend checking out clothes by Pure Baby. My husband and I bought a few little things before we found out the sex of our baby that were very simple but cute and totally gender neutral. :) Xx
  • Options
    I just get boy onesies that don't have boy-specific sayings on them.
  • Options
    Primary.com has a nice onesie set. ;)
  • Options
    I'm Team Green and haven't had this problem. The big brick and mortar chain stores (Buy Buy Baby & Babies R Us) have lots of options, especially if you think outside the box when looking at the "boys" clothing. Amazon.com also has tons of options.
  • Options
    We were team green and I just bought clothes I liked, regardless of color.
  • Options
    I am team green and have been finding more gender neutral stuff in the boy's section. I have been buying used, but I have a lot of Carters brand stuff that are cute animal prints on onesies or sleepers that could be for either gender. I have gotten outfits through 6 months
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I agree the boys section seems to be more flexible, but although I know it doesn't matter what strangers think I still would like to avoid having to defend a onesie by declaring "girls can like trucks, too!" (or whatever). Quite frankly, infants don't give a hoot about trucks or bows or what have you, anyway, so it's a little frustrating for me to not find simple solids (I'm probably over thinking this, though).

I've looked in Burlington Coat Factory, Carter's, Children's Place, Walmart, Toys R Us (with a Babies section), and Amazon and seem to missing whatever others are finding, dismissing the boys things (for the most part, the boys things I'm finding are pretty darn gendered so the pickings seem slim there). The few neutral items I can find are a Burt's Bees Baby Bee set and a few things with ducks on them. I'll check out the couple of resources suggested and maybe opt for the Burt's Bees failing those. I do have to remind myself I don't need much at first, but I think I'm just really eager to do SOMETHING. We're looking for a bigger place so we're putting off pretty much all purchases (less to move, after all) and I think I'm feeling a lack of preparedness and leaning toward overcompensation. Thanks again everyone!
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited July 2015
    We're half doing what you are. We are going to find out the sex but we are not going to buy gender-specific clothing for our child and will instead dress him or her in very neutral clothing, allowing our kid to naturally gravitate to either feminine or masculine choices as he or she gets older. 

So we were having some trouble too, especially since a lot of the hilarious onesies are very gender specific. But some aren't! We have found superhero ones that aren't really meant for one gender or another (i mean a little girl can totally  be spiderman!) and lots that say "Daddy's little Pilot" or something (which is totally gender neutral)

And remember. Colour belongs to everybody. A pink onesie on a boy is just fine. Lots of men look great in pink. And blue is heavenly on girls too. Sports, superheroes, science, dance, Disney... those things are all for every kid. You may have a girl really into sports or a boy who dances beautifully or vice versa. 

When you start to really think about it, there is very little out there that isn't really gender neutral. 

Fancier dress is a little harder but why not buy a gown? Gowns are gender neutral for babies. We're going to buy a little red velvet baby "bag" sleeper since our LO is due just before Christmas. The victorians dressed their boys and girls in gowns all the time. They're convenient and easy to use.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I agree the boys section seems to be more flexible, but although I know it doesn't matter what strangers think I still would like to avoid having to defend a onesie by declaring "girls can like trucks, too!" (or whatever). Quite frankly, infants don't give a hoot about trucks or bows or what have you, anyway, so it's a little frustrating for me to not find simple solids (I'm probably over thinking this, though).

I've looked in Burlington Coat Factory, Carter's, Children's Place, Walmart, Toys R Us (with a Babies section), and Amazon and seem to missing whatever others are finding, dismissing the boys things (for the most part, the boys things I'm finding are pretty darn gendered so the pickings seem slim there). The few neutral items I can find are a Burt's Bees Baby Bee set and a few things with ducks on them. I'll check out the couple of resources suggested and maybe opt for the Burt's Bees failing those. I do have to remind myself I don't need much at first, but I think I'm just really eager to do SOMETHING. We're looking for a bigger place so we're putting off pretty much all purchases (less to move, after all) and I think I'm feeling a lack of preparedness and leaning toward overcompensation. Thanks again everyone!
    Check out thinkgeek.com haha. Fabulous, nerdy onesies that are hilarious. 

Also you can try out BabiesRUs. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I've managed to dig some up (Old Navy has some neutrals, but only gray? weird but okay!). I agree with groovylocks in that, I can dress the baby in whatever color I want (and I intend to, to a degree) but as much as I want to avoid strict gender conformity, I also don't want to set the kid up (or myself) to deal with constant referrals to the wrong gender, atleast until the kid can make those decisions. My 9 year old has opted for short hair and eclectic clothing choices. She knows when she dons her TARDIS trucker hat and a hoodie she's going to get called "buddy" and referred to as "him" in public by strangers, but she's cool with that and has an understanding. She's at the stage where she is developing her own identity and that rocks. In the years where she was relying on me to make those choices for her, however, I opted for function over form whenever possible and tried to aim for purples and such when I could find them until she was old enough to give some input, though often had to default to girlier dress out of necessity. There are a host of things I want to do differently this time around (hello to not being pressured into an epidural and a bazillion gadgets this time! no to induction unless there's a legitimate reason other than I'm just taking up a bed! no to a bed, for that matter!) and the baby garb is only a facet of that. Thanks for all the input and letting me blaahhh that all out, too :)
  • Options
    The Carter's website has a whole Baby Neutral section.  Amazon also has a ton of neutral clothes.