High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

NT scan- need reassurance

so I had my nuchal transparency scan yesterday at 12 weeks and 1 day. I was so excited. I didn't get the scan because I had any concerns but because I just wanted another ultrasound. The baby looked great. So much bigger than my 6 week sonogram and I saw the baby move and flip over. It was such an amazing experience until... The doctor came in and said my fold measurement was just outside of the normal range. At 12 weeks he said I should have measured 2.4mm but I measured 2.6mm. He said that's slightly high and right above what's considered normal. He said they aren't super concerned until it's above 3 but that not I have to meet with a genetic counselor. They are going to get my blood results and give me an overall percentage risk of having chromosomal abnormalities. I will meet with the counselor on Wednesday and get the results. I'm not considering getting the harmony DNA test regardless of the results but I have to see if insurance will cover it. I'm trying to stay calm because the measurement was only a little bit high but honestly I've been an emotional wreck. I know it's early on but I am already so attached. This is my first pregnancy. I would keep the baby regardless but want to be prepared and know what's going on. Sorry this was a lot longer than I meant it to be but my question is...Has anyone had a NT scan that the measurement was too high and went on to have a healthy baby? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: NT scan- need reassurance

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about that measurement at all, my babies measurement was 2.9 at the NT scan and the doctor said anything under 3 is fine, also I heard from someone else that their doctor has never seen a physical defect in a baby where the measurement  was 4 or below. So don't worry and enjoy your pregnancy.  Also just remember that the blood test is just a percentage so I declined that test it causes unnecessary worry.  But I did have the materni21 test and baby is perfect :)
  • Options
    Our insurance covered Materna Plus, so hopefully yours covers Harmony.

Ultrasounds are super subjective. If they would have measured three times, then why would have gotten three different measurements off a mm or two.

I went back for a cervical check this week and it was 2.8 last week, 2.67 this week. Since it was via ultrasound and there's so much variation, they didn't consider that a change.

Also, we were told that our daughter had an enlarged ventricle in her brain, "on the high end of normal" and were sent for an M.R.I. The M.R.I. came back normal, so they chalked it up to ultrasound inaccuracy/error.

When it came to her brain, and I'm sure similarly to your baby's fold, it depends on who's measuring it. The tech in our office measures in one place and always gets a higher measurement than our doctor, a perinatologist who measures in another place.

I know it's scary, but I really think your baby will be fine. We did the Materna test way before this, which helped give us piece of mind later in pregnancy. I know it's hard, but try to relax and send your baby positive thoughts of her fold being within normal range.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your support! I got the results back today and I am low risk. 1-10,000 chance for a chromosomal problem so I don't have to go through any further testing at the moment.  Thank you so much for your kind, encouraging, reassuring words. 
  • Options
    Yay, congratulations!
  • Options
    Just had this yesterday- measurement was 2.5, but with a bit of reverse flow in the ductose venosus. Separately, I don't think I'd be worrying as much, but combined and I'm in meltdown mode. Went for the DNA blood test and will hear next week. Anyone been through this?