September 2015 Moms
Options

Can I ask doctor for early pregnancy disability?

Need some advice. I'm going through a lot of stress at work. I'm a Business Mgr for a beverage company. I used to work 12 hour days prior to being pregnant but cut back to 10 but still have to get all the work done in less time or work on the weekend. In addition I drive to different branches and some branches are 3 hours away. I have sciatica and can't handle sitting at desk or through long meetings, let alone drive long distances. My boss is giving me a hard time at work. She gives me a million different priorities with unrealistic deadlines. I'm also dealing with labor disputes, protest, security breaches and bomb threats at work. The environment is so stressful and chaotic that its giving me anxiety and can't sleep at night. I had my first gout attack and that was painful and my migraines are lasting longer and occurring more frequent. Sometimes, I feel my belly harden when I get upset -- it could feel very uncomfortable. I'm only 26-27 weeks but hitting my breaking point. Plus, at home dealing with my mom and her medical issues and a very active 3 yr old. So getting very little rest and its taking its toll on me.

Do you think it would be wise to ask doctor if I can go out on pregnancy disability early? What should I tell her? Not sure if doctor would even consider it.

Re: Can I ask doctor for early pregnancy disability?

• Options
    I asked my doctor to write a note for my employer to excuse me from work for 12 weeks after my delivery. Usually they only excuse you for six weeks but she was more than willing to write the note. At my job you can only use accumulated paid sick leave if a doctor writes a note, otherwise it's unpaid. I was afraid the doctor would say no but she had no problem doing it. So definitely explain your situation to your doctor and I'm sure he or she will help you out.
  • Options
    My Dr has said from the outset to let her know when I can't work anymore. With #1 I went off at 31+6, this one I plan to go to at least 34w because my job is more accommodating, and they got me a co-op student to do all my walking and lifting. But if you are already feeling the strain, have the conversation now-your Dr might agree that it's not good for you or baby to be so stressed with so little sleep. Some people go off super early for strict bed rest or preterm labour.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm going to ask my doctor at my appointment on Tuesday, if I could be put on bed rest. I have a laptop so I can work from home. I drive an hour each way to work.
  • Options
    I just switched Obgyns at 28 weeks (other doc was making me uncomfortable by writing scathing letters to the editor about the health articles that I write for my job) and this new doc is amazing. He told me this week that I can work as long as I want. Not to stress because he'll get me out of anything or get me off work when I was ready. It's actually good peace of mind to finally have an advocate. My goal is to work until 37 weeks but given the stress of this job I'm not sure how long I'll last. Good luck talking to your doc! ❤️
  • Options
    I was actually wondering the same thing. I see my doctor Monday for my usual checkup but I stand on my feet for at least 9+ hours with absolutely NO sitting. Today I was getting really bad Braxton hicks almost to the point where I could time them and the pain had me doubled over when they would start. The LAST thing I want is to be going into labor at 31 weeks because I'm doing to much.
  • Options
    It doesn't hurt to ask your doctor! Think of yours and your baby's health first!
  • Options
    nirenire member
    Definitely ask. With my first at 35 weeks I told me doc I was ready to be done with work (gave no real reason just more small talk) and he offered to take me out of work. I said no thanks but I didn't last long at work after knowing how easy it was to be done! Good luck.
  • Options
    str13str13 member
    Just parroting what everyone's said, just ask!! With DD1 & 2, my OBGYN just said for me to let them know and they'd write me out of work. Luckily it hasn't come to that yet, but work has been very accommodating.
  • Options
    I would absolutely ask! That kind of stress isn't good for you when you aren't pregnant! Your job is not worth losing your or your baby's health over. I hated my first job out of college so much that I cried every day on my way to work, so I pledged to myself if that ever happened again that I would quit immediately. So it started at the end of last school year, I cried every day in the 4th quarter on my way to work... So at the end of the year I gave my notice and left! If I hadn't, I may have been able to buy myself more presents but I definitely wouldn't have my little man on the way!
  • Options
    Your doctor can write you what you need, but you need to make sure the company doesn't let you go. FMLA is good for only 12 weeks a year so if you take leave early you may not get a full leave after the baby is born.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for the advice! As I sat til 10pm on a Sunday night stressed out doing work, I feel that I definitely need to start putting my family, baby and myself first before work. I have my OB appt on Thursday and I plan to ask my doctor to put me out early. Hope she will be accommodating. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    I'm using FMLA now because I me working full time, required to see the doctor 4 times a week and in school...

Like pp said, once you take 12 weeks of FMLA in a 12 month period that's it... So I'm trying to be wise about it. I used two day already which means I'll have to go back to work 2 days sooner when the LO is born.

Justin Kyle