2nd Trimester

Kayaking safe during pregnancy?

meowcat84meowcat84 member
edited June 2015 in 2nd Trimester
I haven't kayaked in over a year but would like to start it up again. I have stayed active using a rowing machine before pregnancy. Since I haven't done it in a while is it still ok to do it? I plan on kayaking lakes and marshes not the ocean quite yet.

Re: Kayaking safe during pregnancy?

• Ask your doctor. My OB was not okay with me resuming running in the 2nd trimester after I had to stop due to spotting. Since you haven't been doing it your entire pregnancy, and because it involves some torso twisting (which my OB also told me to avoid, but again, I had some other issues going on), I would personally skip it, but your doctor is the best person to answer that question for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been kayaking twice. Once on the calm river and once on a lake. I just took it easy and if I felt tired, I rested. I didn't even think about asking my doctor because I have never been a strenuous kayaker.
  • Loading the player...
  • If a relaxing ride I'm sure it's fine. Wouldn't go on a choppy ride or strain your torso.
  • I think so. Kayaking is a pretty tough ab workout but maybe if you can double up and sit in the front (let another person steer) it would let you get that good exercise without you worrying about strain. My doctor said it was safe enough on calm water.

I've been out on the water once and i found it quite soothing. But I'm taking it easy on the exercise and doing instead exercise that is less strenuous (personal choice and not recommendation) so I'm mostly walking, swimming and tai chi. 
  • We kayak on Lake Michigan all the time, but have decided to skip it now that I'm farther along. Tipping over into icey water and not having the greatest balance now are both factors in the decision ;)
  • I did ocean kayaking early in my second trimester, in a tandem w/ hubs. Ran it by my OB first, she didn't see a problem with it