3rd Trimester

Gestational Diabetes

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been dealing with GD. I was just diagnosed and am feeling slightly overwhelmed with all of the information I've been given. I've seen the dietician and she was great help, but my doctor kind of made me nervous with all the worst case scenario stuff. Does anyone have any advice to help me keep my cool? I'm trying not to worry, but as a FTM, everything is new and complicated and now to add this!

Re: Gestational Diabetes

• I would suggest you take one thing at a time. Start making your changes in diet and sta r t testing your blood as they have instructed. I also have GD this time (as well as with my first), and i haven't had many problems with it. I've been able to control it with diet and exercise. Some people need meds, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Some people are upset with themselves with having GD when it has absolutely very little to do with lifestyle choices, it's mostly how your body reacts to all of the hormones, and consequently the sugar based foods we ingest. So make sure to keep a head up, and remember that this for the betterment of your LO! Please let me know if you have any questions! Good luck!

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• LaurmiLaurmi member
    I don't have much advice, other than to say that I was also diagnosed this week (Tuesday) and have finally managed to calm down about it. I went through the 5 stages of grief, and now I'm in more of a "I'm going to tackle this and win" type of mode. It was awful to google....especially the worst case scenario info! I think if we take it seriously and heed doctors / nutritionists orders, we'll be fine. Remember, all of those worst case scenarios that you read about are what happens when GD is NOT managed correctly. Seeing your OB, endocrinologist, and nutritionist, as well as testing and eating as recommended should ensure everything goes as smoothly as possible. I'm still super irritated that I have this, especially because I've been eating healthy this entire time, but at this point it really doesn't matter. We just have to deal with it to have the healthiest baby possible!!! Good luck!
    Laura
  • Loading the player...
  • I got diagnosed about 5 weeks ago, and it's really not too bad once you get used to it. Not that you will ever fully get used to it, but you know what I mean. My only numbers that can't be controlled through diet are my fasting numbers when I wake up. I inject insulin every night before bed and it still doesn't really help, but one thing you have to remember, insulin or not, is that it is NOT your fault!  When I found out I had GD I was crying and so upset and blamed myself. But that will just make you feel worse.
    Just do the best you can and try to follow the diet as closely as you can. Just remember it is not permanent and soon you won't have to deal with it anymore!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree try to adjust your diet and monitor your blood sugars as told by your doctor. I was diagnosed with gd with my first pregnancy and now for my second. I am overweight and i love salads and fruit. Being diagnosed you must remember that it has some hereditary traits. Not WHAT You NECCESARILY Have done.or eaten.
  • I had GD when I was pregnant with my son. You can google meal ideas which really helped me come up with different options for food. Just follow the diet (lots of protein) and try to take a deep breath! My DH and I would take walks together after dinner to help lower my sugars. My son was born perfectly healthy at 7 lbs 12 oz. It is definitely scary at first but once you get the hang of it, you will be fine! I was shocked to find out last week that I don't have GD this time around. So it doesn't mean you will automatically have it in any subsequent pregnancies either!! Good luck! You can do it!
  • I was just diagnosed this week also and saw the doctors. I feel you on the overwhelming side of it. I have been trying to control it the last couple days by changing diet. Some levels have been good and some have been a little high.
  • I'm 35+4, I was diagnosed at 11 weeks. It takes done trail and error to figure out what you can and can't eat, but it'll be ok. One example is, I can't eat rice but potatoes are ok. You taking it seriously makes you a great mom already. Fasting number are hard to control. I can only fast for 9 hours and eat my snack right before bed.

You will be ok. Your baby will be monitored extra to ensure they are ok. They have to tell you the worst case but I think it is to make you take it seriously.