March 2015 Moms
Options

Weaning

I am sure that this will heavily divide opinion but I am interested in your views on the subject.

My baby turns 4 months next week and has been formula fed since six weeks. Before that I was expressing.

I moved him onto hungry baby milk about three weeks ago as I was basically back-to-back feeding and he was never satisfied. Now he is drinking 220ml 8 times in 24 hours and sometimes can't even wait 2 hours in between. He sleeps 8-10 hours through the night (lucky me) and his weight is spot on.

He can sit with support, reach out and grab with accuracy and is forever chewing his fists. He watches me and OH eat and actually chews on his fingers in imitation. He is fascinated by our food and seems dissatisfied by milk feeds.

I have done a fair bit of research on this topic and don't want to cite all of it but it is interesting.

I know that the current guidelines say 6months plus, but I have read that this is totally dependent on the baby, and also the environment (ie underdeveloped countries where food hygiene is not great) and 4-6months is ideal in practice, that the baby should be eating foods BY six months and not just starting to. Some people swear by the 6month rule and don't even start until then or later which, I have heard, can lead to nutritional deficiencies (ie not enough iron) if the baby is ready for something more than milk.

I don't necessarily believe everything I read, but I do think it helps to question these common beliefs sometimes, and also to keep in mind that all babies mature in different ways and at different rates.

If I were to follow my instincts, I would start him on some baby rice in a couple of weeks and then very puréed fruit and veg, interspersed with milk feeds, but I know that my health visitor, as well as a few of you, may discourage it.

What are your opinions or experiences?

Re: Weaning

• Options
    I started my son (now 2) on baby food (I made my own) at about 4 1/2 months with the OK from our pediatrician.  Like your son, he could sit, grab/grasp and was interested in what we was eating.  He ate everything I put in front of him, except bananas, until it was gone.  Now that he's 2 he still eats pretty much everything we give him, with some toddler quirks thrown in where he decided he hates eggs after asking for them all day long.  My son was always above 90% for height & weight as a baby, and never had any problems with foods. 

Our first food was carrots & we stuck with veggies for the most part, slowly introducing fruits & other foods.  The farmers' markets around us have more veggies than fruits & that was a major reason, also squash & sweet potatoes are pretty inexpensive & make A LOT of baby food in quick batches.  We skipped the whole cereal phase, except to thicken up some of the more watery fruits & veggies.

I say go with your gut. You know your baby and if he seems ready try it.  If he doesn't take to it after a few tries, wait a week & try again.  I was eager as a FTM to give some other form of food because I was stressing myself out trying to pump & keep up with his feeding demands.  Most of what I read said to feed a bottle/nurse first & then give solid food, but I did it the other way because he usually fell asleep while nursing.

My daughter turns 4 months in about a week and a half (where did that time go??).  I'm not sure she's quite ready for solids yet, but if she starts to show signs I'm definitely going to start her before the 'magical' 6 month mark as well.  It all depends on the baby.

Good luck.  I was lucky enough to have full support when I started my son 'early'...and I have a real knack for ignoring people I don't want to listen to when it comes to raising my children. :) 

• Options
    I agree with the PP. No experience myself, but you've done your research and, like you said, it appears that he is ready! I plan on starting foods before the six month mark, too. She's 3 months now, so I have some time to plan, but if she's anything like your LO, I'll be starting. You'll hear different recommendations about what to start: rice cereal, avocado, banana... But usually rice cereal is well tolerated and a good transition because it is bland. My friends used it for about a week, then switched to other puréed foods with their babies. It's sort of the quintessential baby starter food, but then it's forgotten about after the first couple of feedings.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter is exactly the same. She's very advanced for her age (15 weeks today) and also a very hungry baby. Constantly chewing on her fists and whatever else she can grab hold of! I started my daughter on rusks soaked in milk at 3 months old. Started giving her half but wasn't filling her so resorted to giving her a full rusk at tea time. She will then have 1 5oz bottle and go to bed and sleep through until 7:30ish. Start your baby on solids as soon as you feel he is ready! It seems like he's giving you signs he is ready but my advice is not to listen to the HCV etc as half of them haven't even had children! My daughters weight is bang on, as she's an active child anyway but at first, my HCV advised me to go to the clinic every week to keep an eye on it as she was a little under. She was born 7lb 2oz and she's now a whopping 12lb 5oz!
  • Options

My daughter is exactly the same. She's very advanced for her age (15 weeks today) and also a very hungry baby. Constantly chewing on her fists and whatever else she can grab hold of! I started my daughter on rusks soaked in milk at 3 months old. Started giving her half but wasn't filling her so resorted to giving her a full rusk at tea time. She will then have 1 5oz bottle and go to bed and sleep through until 7:30ish. Start your baby on solids as soon as you feel he is ready! It seems like he's giving you signs he is ready but my advice is not to listen to the HCV etc as half of them haven't even had children! My daughters weight is bang on, as she's an active child anyway but at first, my HCV advised me to go to the clinic every week to keep an eye on it as she was a little under. She was born 7lb 2oz and she's now a whopping 12lb 5oz!

What is an HCV? Is it some kind of health care professional? I hope not, because advising others "not to listen to the HCV etc as half of them haven't even had children!" is probably not the best idea.
  • Options
    @devinsmommy31115 I totally get why you've said this because it is often hard to differentiate between signs of hunger and baby just wanting to soothe themselves or explore, however I think most mothers by now will know how to read their own baby's signals.

If @daniellarhh is anything like me then she will have looked into the topic extensively and sought advice from various sources, or at least been fully confident that her baby was ready for solids. It's not our place to question that. I came on here because I wasn't totally confident moving my LO into solids and was looking for some advice and feedback. I still haven't started solids as I am trying to eke my boy out to at least five months but there is no way he will make it to 6 and that will be what's right for him. He drinks 9x 220ml bottles per day of hungry baby milk and just gets uncomfortable with the amount of liquid he consumes. And no he's not windy, tired or teething in those moments... I know my baby.

@KD32412 I'm from the UK and we have health visitors who make home visits until our babies start school, I'm guessing that's what's being referenced here. I agree that advising everyone not to listen to their healthcare professionals may be irresponsible but I don't think you have to follow every little bit of advice to a T; they are required to endorse government guidelines that change constantly and I, for one, do not trust our current government who have scrapped disability benefit, cut tax credits and want to legalise fox hunting, but that is just me.

I do appreciate that they see a lot of babies and know what they are talking about, but we've had some terrible advice from HVs and one who tried to march my baby back to hospital after we'd been there for 10 days already just because he wouldn't breastfeed...

I don't think it's appropriate to apply a 'one size fits all' mantra like so many people do with baby's development stages as they all mature at different rates and nobody knows them like their parents. It's not like the day they hit six months they are ready for puréed veg and not a minute before.
  • Options
    My girl is 4 months old now and just the way she's been acting with putting everything in her mouth and pushing the binky and bottle out of her mouth when she doesn't want it her doctor wanted me to start solids. She hated cereal and oatmeal. So her doc then told me to go ahead and start stage 1 baby food. She loves it and is doing wonderful!!!
  • Options
    @KD32412 HCV - health care visitor. I'm not advising people NOT to listen to them, I'm advising moms to do what they feel is best they feel for their baby! I know my daughter and I know when she needs more than milk. She's just moved up to 5oz every hour and a half. She has 1 rusk a day mashed with milk and she loves it! I'm fully aware that she is teething and Won't take a dummy (hence the sucking of her fists to soothe herself) but like I said, I know my child and I know when she's ready. Id rather get her on solids sooner rather than later. Introducing her to solids now for me is the best idea for MY child. Also visited the doctor as she kept pushing her bottle out of her mouth with her tongue or her hands and he specifically told me if I feel she's ready then to put her on solids. Every baby is different. @emsillick I completely agree. My HV left my daughter screaming for 5 hours when my daughter was 4 weeks old telling me it was just colic, after she threw up everywhere repeatedly and wouldn't keep a bottle down! Ended up at the hospital for 27 hours finding out she was lactose intolerant! This is why I will take what they say with a pinch of salt. Much prefer to visit the GP.
  • Options
    Unrelated comment, but it is interesting the way different healthcare systems are set up. I am a nurse practitioner, worked in family practice (so very similar to a GP), so these things are interesting to me. I wonder what credentials an HCV has or what sort of training? Obviously they are not as well prepared as a physician or even a nurse (although maybe they are nurses?).

But I do believe we should know best as our baby's moms, but also should take into account the recommendations of the guiding organizations (in the U.S., it's the AAP- American Academy of Pediatrics). Basically our updated recommendations are start anywhere from 4-6 months, avoid honey and cow's milk, but otherwise anything puréed goes. Some interpret that as EBF until 6 months, then only add whole, organic foods that you make yourself; some say start at 4 months and use prepackaged stuff. Thankfully, we can all decide for ourselves what we think is best, or most convenient, for our babies.
  • Options
    @AGM0616 it's nice to hear from somebody in the healthcare profession! Not entirely sure what training or qualifications HCV's have but I honestly don't think they are nurses either! Surely they would of been able to diagnose that my DD was lactose intolerant rather than leave her to scream for 5 hours at the top of her lungs
  • Options
    I've started my baby on 1st foods apples just two days ago. He loves it. I only give him a few spoonfuls then breastfeed him the rest of the day.
  • Options

@KD32412 HCV - health care visitor. I'm not advising people NOT to listen to them, I'm advising moms to do what they feel is best they feel for their baby! I know my daughter and I know when she needs more than milk. She's just moved up to 5oz every hour and a half. She has 1 rusk a day mashed with milk and she loves it! I'm fully aware that she is teething and Won't take a dummy (hence the sucking of her fists to soothe herself) but like I said, I know my child and I know when she's ready. Id rather get her on solids sooner rather than later. Introducing her to solids now for me is the best idea for MY child. Also visited the doctor as she kept pushing her bottle out of her mouth with her tongue or her hands and he specifically told me if I feel she's ready then to put her on solids. Every baby is different. @emsillick I completely agree. My HV left my daughter screaming for 5 hours when my daughter was 4 weeks old telling me it was just colic, after she threw up everywhere repeatedly and wouldn't keep a bottle down! Ended up at the hospital for 27 hours finding out she was lactose intolerant! This is why I will take what they say with a pinch of salt. Much prefer to visit the GP.

Thanks for the explanation of a HCV, a very interesting concept. I agree that we should all do what we feel is best for our children (within reason) and we do know our children best (as opposed to a stranger who does occasional home visits).

If you look at what you wrote though, you did say "my advice is not to listen to the HCV etc as half of them haven't even had children". That's why I questioned what a HCV was. Hopefully they have some training or at least some type of medical certification, as they are giving many FTM help and advice. If not, you are very smart to just seek information from your GP, as you can be sure they are more accountable and can be held liable for their actions.
  • Options
    @KD32412 I worded it wrong. I've had 2 visits from my HCV since my daughter was born (17 weeks ago). She's supposed to pop in regularly to check everything is okay, weight etc but there's been no sign of her since which does annoy me as I not only need to know my daughter is okay, but I also need to know weather I'm doing everything right/the best to my ability. I should think they have some training but I will always question how much and what sort. Definitely rather seek advice from my GP!!