High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone with a weak or incompetent cervix NOT on bed rest?

I had a loss in October at 13 weeks, which they think may have been caused by IC .  So I've had cervical length checks the past few weeks. It was fine 3 weeks ago, over 4 cm. But now at 20 weeks it's 3.6 , but with funneling to .96 My mfm put in a  pessary right away and have me a prescription for vaginal prometrium. We asked about bed rest, and she said just to do lighter activities.

I'm wondering if any other ladies with short cervixes are NOT on bed rest? I have actually been taking it very easy, laying down with my feet up the past couple days. But if my doctor is confident the pessary and progesterone will do the job, I might relax a little. Just looking for other experiences. Thanks!
------------ http://ourangelsandrainbows.blogspot.com/ image † "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward." -Psalm 127:3 †

Re: Anyone with a weak or incompetent cervix NOT on bed rest?

• My cervix is at 2.3 at 17 weeks. I am on progesterone but have a SCH so my MFM is trying to avoid cerclage.
    I'm on modified bed rest...basically rest as much as you can but I don't have to be horizontal in bed 24/7. Also my doc measures my cervix weekly to make sure it doesn't dip down into the danger zone (less than 1.5cm).
    I think as long as you are being monitored you should be ok! And yes rest when you can for sure!
  • Raising hand. I had emergency Cerclage placed at 20w, when cervix measured 7mn. Cervix was found to be 1cm dilated and MFM was able to sew it to 1.5cm. I was started on progesterone and spent one week on modified BR. I was then cleared to return to work, with a no >10lb lifting restriction. I work as an RN. I was monitored closely with cervical checks until 25 or 26 weeks, then instructed not to come back for 6w. MFM said that bed rest has not proven in studies to improve outcomes. At one time they told me they were "just trying to get me to 28w." I was told that my water will likely break early when it funnels past sutures, as baby gets heavier. So far so good, very pleased to still be pregnant at 31w3d. Good luck, this can be very scary and the hardest part for me has been all the unknowns. We cancelled summer travel to remain close to NICU, and we know that our situation might change very quickly.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • At 26 weeks I my cervix was measuring 1.6cm, no cerclage was placed because of twin pregnancy, but I was started on progesterone right away. I was put on "pelvic rest" and 20lb weight limit, I am currently 32 weeks 5 days and still pregnantly working!!!!!
  • Thanks so much ladies, that makes me feel a lot better! :) Maybe it'll be okay for me to do some things around the house.
    ------------ http://ourangelsandrainbows.blogspot.com/ image † "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward." -Psalm 127:3 †
  • had a cerclage a week ago and put on bed rest for a week. 18+4 today and the ultrasound showed my cervix went from 2.5 to 4.5cm. Back to work I go without restriction! And my placenta previa moved out of the way too! I'm so happy to have such great news :)