April 2015 Moms

Grunting baby

my baby grunts when he his trying to wake up and after I have fed him before falling back to sleep. I think it's kinda his way of talking to me to wake me up to feed. Once I lay him back down he does it for a few minutes and goes back to sleep quietly. Do any of your babies do this? It's soooo annoying and sometimes I think something is wrong with him and he can't breathe. He has done it since he was like two weeks old and now is two months. It's also added with some congestion that he has had since two weeks too but the doctor said nothing was wrong with him as far as the congestion. I use saline a few times a day and it helped some with the snot now that is gone and my baby still sounds congested deeper and still grunts. I think he only wakes up sometimes like that just because he is uncomfortable not because he is hungry. Oh and I tried elevating him and a humidifier and those didn't seem to help either.

Re: Grunting baby

• xuxachixuxachi member
    edited June 2015
    Some babies are just grunty (is that a word?) - if he's not in pain and your doc has no concern, then I'd just leave him. My middle child grunted a lot between 3am and 6am - she grew out of it, but it was really annoying.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Man I hope he grows out of it. I'm not ready to move him to his own bedroom yet but it might need to happen sooner then later because he keeps us up all night! When did your kid grow out of it?
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a grunter too. He doesn't make sweet baby noises, he grunts. Often times he's trying to poop or burp. We are congested as well. I use a Nose Frieda and get boogies that seem to have to reach his brain! ;) Reflux was an issue here, but it seems to have improved with sleeping on an incline. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • My little one grunts all the time she was congested at the start but I boiled the kettle poured in a bowl and added a few drops of olbas oil to the boiling water and placed under her. She cleared up within a matter of minutes but still grunts I put it down to her father
  • I don't recall when she stopped grunting - maybe around 3 months? It was a huge motivator to get her sleeping on her own room.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15