April 2015 Moms
Options

Confused about boiling and powder safety...please chime in!

ladyteach0505ladyteach0505 member
edited June 2015 in April 2015 Moms
I have genuine anxiety about stopping what little breast feeding I'm able to do and going all formula.  At this point DD gets ready to serve, about 8-10 oz a day.  Not awful price wise, but when I think of JUST doing ready to serve at 24-30 oz a day it starts to get ridiculous!  So, my stress is that the CDC site (https://www.cdc.gov/features/cronobacter/index.html) says if you want to be extra cautious with powder to boil and then put in powder.  BUT my ped acted like this would leach the nutrients.  I'm lost and totally paranoid about bacteria in the powder.  Help!

Also found this later... https://www.rcm.org.uk/news-views-and-analysis/analysis/how-to…-prepare-powdered-infant-formula

Re: Confused about boiling and powder safety...please chime in!

• Options
    Is your baby a premi? Does she have a condition that causes her to have a comprised immune system? If not then feeding her powdered formula is just fine. You don't even need to warm formula up and I agree with your pediatrician about adding it to boiling water. Just get a few bottles of nursery water if you're concerned about the quality of your water.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think your opinion is what most people would say.  That's why I'm so confused.  The CDC says:
    • If your baby gets formula, choose infant formula sold in liquid form, especially when your baby is a newborn or very young. Liquid formulations of infant formula are made to be sterile and should not transmit Cronobacter infection.
    • If your baby gets powdered infant formula, follow these steps
      If your baby gets powdered infant formula, there are things you can do to protect your baby from infections – not just Cronobacter infections. Good hygiene, mixing the formula with water hot enough to kill germs, and safely storing formula can prevent growth of Cronobacter bacteria and other germs. These are keys to keeping your baby safe and healthy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pix3llePix3lle member
    edited June 2015
    Do they have liquid formula in the US?

I've had supply issues since DS was born so have been using mostly formula (we only have powdered here).
    What i do is clean then boil sterilise the bottles. I then boil the kettle and fill the days worth of bottles with that, when it comes to feed time i reheat the water to the desired temp and add the formula, that's what most people i know (who needed to use formula) did and no one i know has had an issue.
  • Options
    We follow what the directions say. Boil water then let it cool and then add to powder. No issues and did the same with my first. Liquid formula is great but can get quite expensive.