February 2015 Moms

Baby will only sleep in rock and play

Ftm here. My baby will only sleep in the rock and play and will sleep from 9-3 without waking. It's been awesome but I'm thinking soon I will need to transition him to the crib. I have been trying to put him down for naps to get used to the crib and he screams and cries to the point where he vomits. It's awful. Any advice? I want to keep him in the rock and play forever!!

Re: Baby will only sleep in rock and play

• Oh the magic of the RNP :) I know the magic well. I am on week 2 of transitioning to the crib. I manipulated his crib a little to mimic the RNP and am slowly taking pieces away.

I rolled a beach towel and put it under the crib sheet to border his body, use a wedge to tilt the mattress and tied his piano-thing (turned off, obviously) to the slots so his feet would have somewhere to rest.

The towel ring (if you can picture it) is slowly being widened/taken away so the eventually he'll just be with the wedge which I'll keep be he has reflux.

I sometimes I will try naps in his crib but for now I'm tackling one battle. He naps swaddled laying in a boppy pillow now.

I just keep telling myself "this too shall pass" and have patience at night.
  • Try dressing him in a sleep sack. It works wonders for my baby. He started sleeping all night the first time I used it.
  • Loading the player...
  • jmm130jmm130 member
    Zipadeezip sleep sack! Constricts the arms slightly to keep them cocooned but still able to move their arms... and if you read the website reviews, a lot of moms used it to transition from RNP to crib (worked for me!). If your LO has reflux, they make crib wedges (I got a $20 one from Amazon) to help elevate the mattress. I only used mine for a week though before realizing he'd outgrown his reflux.
  • Have you tried letting him sleep on his tummy? Mine would only sleep in the RNP until we tried her on her tummy in the crib. That was at 9 weeks and she's been sleeping through the night ever since.
  • Well I'm scared to put him on his stomach bc of SIDS. He isn't rolling yet, so it's not an option for me now. I have heard that babies do sleep better on their stomachs but I don't want to take the risk.