February 2016 Moms
Options

Diaper Bag

edited June 2015 in February 2016 Moms
I figure since your diaper bag essentially becomes your purse for next 2-3 years, that I am justified in splurging on a designer one. I already started sending dh links ;)
Any recommendations?
So far my top contender is this one from Tory Burch ...
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8431306527487767279?lsf=seller:8020,store:12867568101598084645&prds=oid:11240006759708495699&q=tory+burch+diaper+bag&hl=en&ei=kwaLVeWIL4S4-AGS_4DoDA

Or perhaps this Kate spade...
https://m.katespade.com/emerson-place-nylon-pauline-baby-bag/PXRU5581,en_US,pd.html?dwvar_PXRU5581_color=001&cgid=ks-diaper-bags

I already have a couple of skip hop bags I got from a work giveaway a couple years ago but they have loud prints and it's just nms.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Diaper Bag

• Options
    I have a Vera diaper bag but it's NoT going to work having 2, also I think I want a backpack style because 2 babies = no extra hands

This is on my list

Ju-Ju-Be B.F.F. Convertible Diaper Bag, Magic Merlot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NPESDSO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_2HWIvbJ22X34G

Not this design but the ju ju bff
  • Options
    Backpack is a good idea!
    I definitely plan on getting a more masculine one as well for my husband... But I love knapsacks

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Backpack is a good idea!
    I definitely plan on getting a more masculine one as well for my husband... But I love knapsacks

Our Vera is floral.... Dh carried it like a champ!
  • Options
    We have a petunia pickle bottom abundance boxy for our twins and it's easily big enough for the new baby too. In fact, we could get away with the regular boxy for all 3. I love how convenient it is with the changing pad built in and the backpack straps.
  • Options
    kayjay44kayjay44 member
    edited June 2015
    Most people I know recommend a bag that has one long strap (why a lot don't like their Kate Spade bag).

I have a Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy backpack. I hate it. It's even more horrible because we cloth diaper.

I think I'm going to get one of the traditional Pottery Barn ones this time.

ETA: DH doesn't care. He'll carry anything.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    je5sc0je5sc0 member
    I like the Tory Burch Marion Messenger too.
  • Options
    MrsJG3MrsJG3 member
    I have a PPB from pottery barn. It can be worn with a strap and as a backpack. I also have the stroller straps to attach to the stroller. I also have a coach diaper bag but the straps are annoying and dig in to my shoulder.
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• Options
    We had a backpack diaper bag for our DD and will go the same route for this baby. Hubby gladly carries the bag for me and it is SO much easier to put it on my back to go into a store or out for the day. At first I was hesitant bc I didn't like the colors but we girlied it up with some ribbon and a name tag and were good to go. 

This is what we had for DD 

This is the new model Columbia has

I definitely recommend function over fashion! 
  • Options
    I purchased one from Buy Buy Baby on clearance for my son.  I barely used it.  This time, I'm sticking to a back pack. 

• Options
    We used the big utility tote from thirty one by default and absolutely loved it… however sometimes we wanted a bag that closed so we used a north face backpack when needed. 

(This isn't "mine" but pulled the pic off the internet to show)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had a crappy Carter's bag with my son and I already told my husband that I wanted a nicer bag this time around. I used my diaper bag daily with my son for almost 18 months, and I'd like something that's more of a nice purse for baby 2. We also use our stroller constantly so I definitely want one with stroller loops. It sounds weird, but when I was still trying to lose the baby weight and felt like a literal cow from nursing, carrying a utilitarian bag just made me feel even worse.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I have a coach diaper bag I never use, the bag itself is too heavy.
    My go to lately has been the 31 zip top utility bag. I'm going to get a couple inserts for baby #2. I'm also going to get a backpack this time around. I like having lots of inserts for different things. So a small bag for diapers/wipes. Another bag with change of clothes, that type of thing.
  • Options
    I love my JJ Cole bag that I'm still using with my 1 year old. I will probably just continue to use it unless it falls apart. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Diaper bags almost became a huge issue for us.  DH didn't want to carry a super pink diaper bag and I just tend to not like many diaper bags? My sister ended up giving us an older version of this bag: https://www.katespade.com/grove-court-nylon-sasha-baby-bag/PXRU5362,en_US,pd.html?dwvar_PXRU5362_color=071&dwvar_PXRU5362_size=UNS&cgid=ks-diaper-bags#start=3&cgid=ks-diaper-bags for us.  I have been super happy with it.  For me, I didn't need the over the body strap (I'm super short so the straps it came with were fine).  I really liked that it came with a changing pad.  I've had it now for 2.5 years and still use it.  The colors haven't faded, the construction of the bag has survived a lot and I'm pretty happy.  For me, a bag that I was happy with was important.  (That and the carseat, stroller and baby carrier were our big purchases).
  • Options
    VkrosaVkrosa member

We used the big utility tote from thirty one by default and absolutely loved it… however sometimes we wanted a bag that closed so we used a north face backpack when needed. 

(This isn't "mine" but pulled the pic off the internet to show)
    I have one too it has grown with my DDs I love it and now they have a zip top tote.
  • Options
    wisco29 said:
    Backpack is a good idea! I definitely plan on getting a more masculine one as well for my husband... But I love knapsacks
    Our Vera is floral.... Dh carried it like a champ!
    We had a zebra print one. That normally wouldn't be my style but I got it as a gift and I loved the size of it. DH didn't think twice about throwing it over his shoulder. :)

• Options
    I want to try to find a small backpack this time around. After 2 kids I realized a big giant bag just wasn't where it's at. You end up carrying around a lot of crap you don't need.

• Options
    MWM0903 said:

We had a backpack diaper bag for our DD and will go the same route for this baby. Hubby gladly carries the bag for me and it is SO much easier to put it on my back to go into a store or out for the day. At first I was hesitant bc I didn't like the colors but we girlied it up with some ribbon and a name tag and were good to go. 

This is what we had for DD 

This is the new model Columbia has

I definitely recommend function over fashion! 

I think I'm going to go with something like this for LO#2. I have a skip hop bag for DD1 and it's nice but I want something one of us can throw on our backs for extra hands. I wish we would have went that route originally. With the skip hop bag I found myself constantly taking things out of it to just throw in the bottom of the stroller so I didn't have to bring the bag along (even though it has the stroller straps we have never used them). I will probably also have some smaller zip bags inside so it's easier this time around to bring just a small bag of essentials when needed.
  • Options
    I splurged and bought the Gucci diaper bag from another mom for half the price. :)
  • Options
    I got a typical sized diaper bag but after several months realized I never used all that space and was still lugging it around. I then found the smallest diaper bag I could find, about 8 inches square. I have a couple diapers, wipes, a bib and a change of clothes and that is all. I would tuck a bottle in an outer pocket and call it good. Around a year I realized I lugged that around and rarely used it in public so I started just leaving it in the car and brought my purse back. I only bring it for long trips like the zoo but daily shopping I don't worry about it. My son rarely needed to be changed in public so I preferred running to the car once a month for a bag vs. lugging around a bag all of time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Feb 2016 Siggy Challenge, Favorite Thing About Fall
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ACleanLife24ACleanLife24 member
    edited June 2015
    I also like the potter barn bag but also like this from LL Bean: https://global.llbean.com/shop/Carryall--Diaper-Bag/62134.html

I think we will go with two bags loaded as we will CD and DH and I will be sharing drop off/pick up duty and alternate between public transport and the car.  I will probably let him pick one but the LL Bean and Skip Hop are fairly unisex
  • Options
    I cloth diaper and use a daycare where we provide all snacks, lunches, and clean bedding, so my skip hop wasn't cutting it. I bought a large bag that's working out well for me although o can't remember the name of it offhand. Not the most beautiful thing, but I needed functionality.

This time, I think I'm going to try to find a large backpack style. Hoping my toddler will be out of diapers by then, so just one set of cloth diapers to bring to daycare, but I'll have to fit his lunch and snacks as well as a separate cooler bag with baby's milk. If anyone knows of a good one that I should consider, please let me know.
  • Options
    RN0107RN0107 member
    I had a Coach diaper bag for my first and it was fine for 1. I got a PPB boxy backpack when I had my 2nd and I LOVE it.

MMC Aug 2010
    DS1 Jan 2012
    DS2 July 2013
    DS3 February 2016

• Options
    I am a huge purse whore (some women love shoes and I am a sucker for purses), so I have 2 coach diaper bags and both of them are sitting in my closet barely used because my backpack suites my needs much better.  I just found the backpack was easier when my son was learning to walk and I was hunched over holding his hands helping him walk-the diaper bags not swinging in his face helped things keep moving.  Now that he's a toddler and running all over I don't need my diaper bag flapping around as I am trying to catch up with him.
    #2 EDD: 2/3/16
    DS Born: 10/11/13

• Options
    I cloth diaper and use a daycare where we provide all snacks, lunches, and clean bedding, so my skip hop wasn't cutting it. I bought a large bag that's working out well for me although o can't remember the name of it offhand. Not the most beautiful thing, but I needed functionality. This time, I think I'm going to try to find a large backpack style. Hoping my toddler will be out of diapers by then, so just one set of cloth diapers to bring to daycare, but I'll have to fit his lunch and snacks as well as a separate cooler bag with baby's milk. If anyone knows of a good one that I should consider, please let me know.
    Yup all of this. I think we're going to use our old diaper bag (the PPB boxy) as a daycare bag for the new LO and we'll have a separate one we use. It drives me crazy when daycare takes stuff out of our diaper bag (they currently have 4 bottles of sunscreen for DD) and then we have none at home.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @inomniaparatus it sounds like your a pretty trendy woman and looking for something that is more 'purse' like. I love our Lily Jade diaper bag. Most people would assume it's a purse, not a diaper bag.

www.lily-jade.com
  • Options
    A lot of people like these ones too. A little more stylish than a standard diaper bag, but still has all of the function :https://www.ju-ju-be.com/

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    Thanks guys :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    QuazelQuazel member
    Two things I learned last time around. There is often no clean place to put a diaper bag when changing the baby. It is important to be hands free while changing so a long strap or backpack is super important. I preferred a cross body strap (messenger style) in case I needed to grab something, which you can't with a backpack.

The one I had was very soft. I hated that anything heavy, like diaper cream, could make the side cave in. It also made it harder to grab things in a pinch. DH's had more structure and I ended up liking that better. Structure with flexibility is good.

We started with us each having our own. It actually worked out well. We generally carried his but mine was already to go in an emergency or if we were in a rush. Case and point, I had to be rushed to the ER in the middle of the night when DS was 10 weeks old. We didn't have to worry about packing a diaper bag.
  • Options
    magnumJ said:

I cloth diaper and use a daycare where we provide all snacks, lunches, and clean bedding, so my skip hop wasn't cutting it. I bought a large bag that's working out well for me although o can't remember the name of it offhand. Not the most beautiful thing, but I needed functionality.

This time, I think I'm going to try to find a large backpack style. Hoping my toddler will be out of diapers by then, so just one set of cloth diapers to bring to daycare, but I'll have to fit his lunch and snacks as well as a separate cooler bag with baby's milk. If anyone knows of a good one that I should consider, please let me know.

Yup all of this. I think we're going to use our old diaper bag (the PPB boxy) as a daycare bag for the new LO and we'll have a separate one we use. It drives me crazy when daycare takes stuff out of our diaper bag (they currently have 4 bottles of sunscreen for DD) and then we have none at home.

Yes! This! Why do they do that?! They have both of his CD-safe diaper creams because I put the new one in the bag when they took the last one out and they took that one too.

• Options
    I have an adorable Carter's one I plan on using again for this baby - my husband got a man-lier  diaper bag, messenger style. We each had ours packed so depending on who was dropping off our son, we could use our own. 

My son now just uses a mini TMNT back pack for his daycare center. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a giant Michael Kors purse that I've been using since I got married. Husband bought it for me to use as a carry-on for our honeymoon so I didn't have to take extra baggage overseas. I kind of plan on using that in the beginning until I know for sure what I'll need and won't need, just get some cute zippered bags to go in it to organize. I really don't have much in my purse to begin with besides my wallet, keys, phone and calendar anyway...

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    I have a ju ju be bff and I love it. The back pack is great because I have free hands to chase my kids/carry the baby. I had a coach messenger bag with my first and I hated it. there wasn't enough room and I hate the one strap it felt like it was always in the way