Infertility

How many of your embryos were frozen?

IVF is such an emotional roller coaster. Yesterday I was so happy to have our two embryos transfered and looking forward to the future! Today the embryologist called me and said that none of the 4 embryos left over were able to be frozen. Now I feel like, if this doesn't work, we will never have children. It makes me wonder if something is wrong with the embryos that they transfered. How is it possible that they got 29 eggs, 13 embryos fertilized, 7 arrested and none froze? This is such a blow. I just can't believe it.

Re: How many of your embryos were frozen?

• I am in the beginning phases of my first round of IVF (I'm on day 6 of stim meds) so I haven't been through that part of the process yet but I feel for you!! My doctor said that the embryologist can pick out the best ones by looking at them and watching how they divide and that often testing shows abnormalities that self correct in utero. Sending you positive thoughts for 2 sticky babes.

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @susykat77 thank you! You are almost there! The stim medications weren't too bad for me except for the constant sweating! I had not heard that the abnormalities are generally corrected in utero. That makes me feel a little better.
  • Loading the player...
  • przemosbabeprzemosbabe member
    edited June 2015
    Unfortunately embryologists cannot pick out the best ones by looking at them. I have seen far too many women on here and other infertility boards who have perfect looking blasts and then they send them to get ccs testing and most or all the embryos/blasts are genetically abnormal. I read this is because some embryos will try to "fix" themselves and remove chromosomes etc that are abnormal, making the embryo/blastocyst more abnormal. So they look great but are not. Sometimes the " ugliest" embryos/blasts are actually the normal ones. There are girls like me who have poor graded embryos/blastocyst and get pregnant. So unfortunately visual grading doesn't mean anything a lot of the times. To answer the question, humans suck at reproducing. Most human eggs are not meant to turn into babies. Sometimes women will get lucky and have all or most of their embryos/blastocysts turn out to be genetically perfect. Usually the older the woman,mthe more abnormal the embryos will be. Sperm can contribute to this too. But in most cases the younger the better quality however I do know of exceptions on both ends of the spectrum, It could have been the protocol used wasn't right for you or it could be an intricate thing with you or your husband., or just a bad batch of eggs or aperm.
  • I know how you feel @Cwynn88! I had 26 eggs retrieved, 13 mature, 10 fertilized, 1 transferred and 4 frozen. I was sort of in shock that I had so few that were mature from all the ones they took out and such. It's definitely disheartening but I wouldn't worry too much! I feel like if this transfer doesn't work then you will have to go through the process again to grow some more follicles but you are obviously good at that part so don't fret! Good luck!!!
  • ***SAIF***

I had 33 eggs retrieved, 17 made it to day 5, 12 sent to PGS, 5 normal, 1 transferred and 4 frozen. It's always so hard to see the numbers dropping each day.

Good luck!
    TTC Since 01/09
    Unexplained IF
    Clomid cycle 1-3 - BFN IUI 1-3 - BFN 
    IVF 1 - BFP 4/4/11 - It's a boy!
    FET 1 - BFP M/C 6/14
    IVF 2 - 33R/19F 12 PGS resulted in 5 normal embies
    FET 1 scheduled 12/10/14
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jnissajnissa member
    Can I just ask out of curiousity what your fertilization method was? It looks like you opted for natural instead of ICSI?
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• StaceNola1023StaceNola1023 member
    edited June 2015
    We had 7 eggs retrieved (I did a mini IVF) and 6 fertilized. 4 made it Day five, but one of those 4 was smaller than the others. We transferred 2 blasts and the embryologist froze the other good blast. We let the little guy go to Day six to see if it progressed, but I got the call that it stopped dividing. I'm happy that at least we have 1 preserved just in case! This wait is crazy, it's so hard not think every little cramp or twinge is some kind of sign. Luckily I'm de-cluttering the house to list it and reading a good book right now, so that helps.
    Me: 36 DH: 38 -TTC since May 2011. Bilateral mid-tubal blockages. Starting first IVF minimal stim cycle in June. Labs-Day 3: TSH 1.60mIU/L FSH 6.8mIU/mL Estradiol 46 pg/mL Day 10: FSH 5.3mIU/mL 
  • ambdtbambdtb member
    edited June 2015
    We had 19 follicles, 18 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilize and 7 survive until day 5. In the end only 1 top quality on day 5 for transfer and 2 were frozen that took longer to get to the quality needed to freeze on day 5 and 6.
    Married 4-27-13
    TTC for 1.5 yrs
    41 yrs old; DH is 37
    April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
    Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN 
    Feb 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 1st IUI, BFN 
    Mar 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 2nd IUI, BFN 
    May 2015 1st IVF, 19 follicles, 18 eggs retrieved on May 20, 13 fertilized, transferred 1 Blastocyst on May 25=BFP!; froze 2 Blastocysts
    Full term healthy baby boy born on 2-11-16
    Jan 29, 2018: FET 
    Feb 8. 2018: BFP! :)
    Mar 6: weak heartbeat. :(
  • MawmeeMawmee member
    At the time of our fresh cycle, we had one embryo transferred. We were able to freeze two. If I remember correctly, that was out of 8 that fertilized. 17 eggs were retrieved.
  • We had 17 eggs, 6 fertilized, 3 frozen sent to PGD (PGS) came back with 1 BB blasto.