Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Leave DD for an entire day???

How young is "too young?" DD is 3 weeks old and we have free tickets to cedar point next weekend. DH thinks it's fine to leave her at her grandparents house while we are gone for 12 hours. I'm not so sure about leaving her yet, though. I am also breastfeeding and would need to find a place to pump while there. Any advice?

Re: Leave DD for an entire day???

• Options
    I wouldn't. At 3 weeks, you're still establishing your supply and your routine. A pump is not as effective as the baby at getting your milk out, so it signals your body to make less. It could also lead to mastitis. I doubt you could find a place to store the milk you pump. 

Has your baby even been introduced to a bottle yet? 

I mean, if it was something important (a family wedding or funeral), I would make it work. For an amusement park? No. 
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    I think "too young" is a personal preference. If you can figure out the logistics and trust the people who you are leaving the baby with, than there is no such thing as too young in my opinion.

If you aren't so sure about leaving her yet, it might not be a good idea to go. Or could you go for a shorter amount of time? Have you left the baby yet? If not, I would not recommend leaving baby for the first time for 12 hours (for your sake, not baby). I had and still have major anxiety leaving my baby for any amount of time. And the anxiety is all on me. Baby is fine and I completely trust those I leave her with, but I can't stand to be away from her.

Pumping...have you pumped yet? Have you pumped on the go yet? I am an exclusive pumper and am just now at 7wpp getting the hang of pumping in the car when I'm on the go. I'd make sure you're practiced in this before hand since you'll be gone so long. Also have a pump bag packed with everything you need plus spare parts.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The issue for me would not be leaving the baby (emotionally), but the actual logistics of pumping at Cedar Point. I can't think of a good solution to pumping in privacy (I would only be comfortable somewhere private that is not the bathroom).
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15