High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Insulin and Delivery?

I just found out at almost 35 weeks that I have to start bedtime insulin because I have GD and my fasting sugars are always teetering on the edge of being high. Like between 89-100. I am wondering for those who have gone through this, when I am induced (if I make it that far) will my baby be able to stay with me for the first hour uninterrupted, as planned, or does anyone know if he will have to go to the "special" nursery since I am on insulin? I am just confused, and plan to ask my midwife next time I see her, but wanted to get advice here too.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Insulin and Delivery?

• Options
    emzabqemzabq member
    I'm on insulin do my pregnancy too. They told me that baby would have to go to the ICU for glucose monitoring for 6 hours after delivery.
  • Options
    It depends on your hospital, some will take the baby for monitoring, some will test in your room.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hate to hear that! I do NOT want to be separated from my baby. When I spoke to the nurse on the phone yesterday she said he would probably only need to go to the other type of nursery in the hospital if something is really wrong with his blood sugar, and since I am controlling it pretty well hopefully that won't happen. I know if I can't be there, I want my husband there with him at all times. Plus I'm exclusively breast feeding so this all just makes me have anxiety.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Depends on the hospital, I was on insulin and the baby didn't have to be separated. Do you have options in hospitals?
  • Options
    In all seriousness, just because your BS is off doesn't mean the baby will be. My first I was on insulin just at night and they didn't do anything special for her. My second was a C so that was a different story.  I got to spend 3 mins with her, then off to recovery for me and NICU for her for breathing problems. Didn't see her until the next day. Yes, it was hard, but I'm just curious as to what are you worried about? The hospital will take good care of your baby. And a 100 fasting isn't high. These doctors I swear.I have gone through all mine with 100-120, even on insulin, and my kids have turned out fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I know the hospital will take good care of the baby, but it's my first baby so that's why I guess. I feel the same way about my blood sugars in the morning---I don't think they're high either based on what I've read. But what can you do?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I have type 1 diabetes so insulin 24 hours a day for almost my whole life and my hospital doesn't take baby from me unless there is a serious problem. They will keep testing her blood sugar but in the room with me. Ask your hospital.
  • Options
    In all honesty your fasting numbers aren't bad. My doctor was pretty flexible and as long as I was under 120 he was fine. I ultimately had a c section so they tested my daughter right away and then again 8 hours later. Since she tested good on both, they didn't test her again. I had her with me with 45 mins while I was in recovery.