April 2014 Moms

Talking

My DD is almost 15 months and doesn't really use a whole lot of words. My pediatrician said she should know where her eyes, nose, etc are but doesn't. She's said Mama, Dada, Pop-Pop, this, but not frequently. But yet if you tell her baba, bye bye, fishy, hug, go to daddy/mommy she does/knows all of that.
My worry is shouldn't she be speaking more or am I being a nervous Nelly 1st time mom?
TIA

Re: Talking

• ksulliksulli member
    My 1st DD was far more verbal at this age. DD2 is 15 mos next week and maxes out at: mama, hi, and ah du (all done- I only recognize this because she does it with the sign). She does quite a bit of babeling (vowel/consonant noises, not the nasal grunting that they start with), and I'm not worried until someone says I need to be.

She does communicate non-verbally quite well: goes to the fridge when she wants some milk, gets a shoe and bangs on the door when she wants to go out, taps the speakers and stomps her feet when she wants music on. She also responds reasonably well to our words (do you want I go outside and she bee-lines for the door, shakes her head yes and no, etc.). She does maintain eye contact and looks to me/dad/DD1 when she's unsure of things.

So long as words are the one thing missing, I wouldn't worry too much. Kids develop at their own pace. If you're in the states you'll have an assessment done at the 18 month appoitment to screen for developmental issues, it repeats at the 2 yr appointment. Odds are your baby is developing just fine and is well within the range of normal. If you're concerned, call the doctor, or try another pediatrician- some are more alarmist than others.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • C only really says Hi but does a lot of non verbal communication. I haven't taught her where her eyes, Etc are.... I suppose I should work on that haha! She is almost 14 months. I'm just going to continue to talk with her, ask her questions and let it develop on her time.
  • Loading the player...
  • We don't have much in the way of words here either. Mama and dada. And kee-cat. Woof. Does that count? Haha. But he clearly understands a lot of what we say and he communicates other things with body language, pointing, etc. I kind of feel like one day, a bunch of words are just going to come tumbling out. He will be 15 mo on the 2nd.

As far as knowing eyes, nose, etc. I haven't really worked on that with LO, so I don't know how he would know that! Maybe that's something I should start doing...
  • LO says mama, dada, kitty, uh oh and hot. She knows a lot more nonverbal things. She knows where her belly is, and we are working on ears, eyes, nose, and mouth. She mostly knows ears and mouth. Also I taught her how to show how old she is by holding up a finger. She also will respond to what we say. For example she knows what milky milk means.

I randomly last week started with the ears, eyes, nose and mouth because she knew belly. I wish there was a list of what your child should know by what age. Not necessarily so that LO could be spot on with it (let's be real) but more to get ideas of what we should be working on and what is developmentally appropriate.

I wouldn't worry too much if the words themselves are not there yet. Sounds like she's right on track!
  • Same as what the others say. I wouldn't worry. My LO says a few words and then he won't say them much for a while. I get excited he can say something and then I won't hear it again for a couple weeks. Not sure what that is about but assume he is still learning it.
  • I'm in a similar situation. We really have no words yet still just "bah"s and noises. She does follow directions pretty well. I'm worried about it too, trying not to panic too much. Our ped said at her last appt she may refer her if we had no words at 15 months.
  • ksulli said:

My 1st DD was far more verbal at this age. DD2 is 15 mos next week and maxes out at: mama, hi, and ah du (all done- I only recognize this because she does it with the sign). She does quite a bit of babeling (vowel/consonant noises, not the nasal grunting that they start with), and I'm not worried until someone says I need to be.

She does communicate non-verbally quite well: goes to the fridge when she wants some milk, gets a shoe and bangs on the door when she wants to go out, taps the speakers and stomps her feet when she wants music on. She also responds reasonably well to our words (do you want I go outside and she bee-lines for the door, shakes her head yes and no, etc.). She does maintain eye contact and looks to me/dad/DD1 when she's unsure of things.

So long as words are the one thing missing, I wouldn't worry too much. Kids develop at their own pace. If you're in the states you'll have an assessment done at the 18 month appoitment to screen for developmental issues, it repeats at the 2 yr appointment. Odds are your baby is developing just fine and is well within the range of normal. If you're concerned, call the doctor, or try another pediatrician- some are more alarmist than others.

Same as this. My son spoke a lot at this age, but dd is 14 months and only really says mom, dad, bear, augua, ball, bird and dog. She makes a couple animal sounds and communicates nonverbally, and she understands us, so I'm trying not to be concerned. All kids are different, and they are still pretty young.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have some words, but like someone else said, they're kind of inconsistent. He'll say it a ton, then I won't hear it again for a few days. So far we've heard dada, mama, baba (for bottle and ball), nana (for banana), pu (for puff), dog, uh oh, and bubble. Surprisingly, bubble is the one we hear the most, and one of the more intelligible ones!

I wouldn't worry! They all develop at their own pace. I bet your LO will be jabbering away before you know it.
  • Thanks everyone! I'm sure I'll be sorry I never posted this but sometimes you just need to hear what others have to say...
  • Everyone has said it but I will too, mine's not saying much either; a couple signs and a couple words. Strangely, she mostly says a phrase: "What is that?" however she's yet to even say momma...She knows where her belly button is, but not the other parts again though I haven't tried to teach her.
    My oldest went from knowing about 10 words at 15 months to about 50 by 18 months so there can be quite a jump in the upcoming months. My son on the other hand tested into speech therapy at 18 months and he had 3 words. I kept the checklist that early intervention gave me and it says at 12 months 1-2 words and 18 months they should have 15-20 words. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    Sporty1216
  • My LO is 14 months and so far all we have is "mum" and "dada". There was one day he said "dog" four times but I haven't heard it since. He said "bubbles" the other day at daycare which is encouraging! I'm not concerned at the moment. He babbles and "chats" to other kids all the time and has a lot of the consonants and vowel sounds. It will come.
  • My LO says Dada and that's it. She however does communicate very well in non-verbal methods. Like others she does not know where her body parts are. I figure she will get there. 
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • I agree with all of these. My son is 15 months and says a few simple things. "umm mum" for food/snack (probably because we gave him the baby mum mums and I'd always ask if he wants a mum mum lol. He'll say mama and dada , ow, hi, and a few other random things and then babbles like crazy! He gives kisses and waves bye bye too.

He understands so much though. One example - I told him once to grab his shoes and he went and got them and then sat down to have me put them on. I'm trying to reinforce him using more words though when he wants something - like how he'll put his arms up when he wants to be picked up.

As far as body parts, he knows his nose and just found his belly/belly button lol.

I'm not too worried about his speech. I know he understands a lot of what we tell him and from everything I see, he's right in that normal range. Some kids just don't talk a lot until a little later.

• I took LO to his 15 month appt. the talking milestone seemed to be 5 words at 15 months. And of course they don't have to be at all clear - just a semblance of a word and the understanding that it means something.
  • maelicmaelic member
    If that's the talking milestone then my daughter is way behind. She used to say dada all the time but stopped about a month ago. She occasionally says Bubble for our cat Hubble, but nothing else. No mama, no baba, nothing. She's happy and makes herself understood by pointing and yelling DAAA! but you know, words would be nice. 
  • C says daaa, dis, hi and uh oh. She used to say dada and I swore she used to say mama (or I just pretended she was saying it). Good to know 5 words dont have to actually be words haha.
  • We still just have "that" "dog" "dad" "mom" "augua" "ball" "bird" "book"

She mostly says "that" and points for whatever she wants. She does make more animal spuds though.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD clearly says hiya, mama, dada, kitty, uh oh, nana (for banana), and although they aren't clear she also says her versions of bless you (if I sneeze), what's this, bottle, Rosie (her name), ball, oh dear, flower, nose, ear and eye. She can understand and use baby sign language for: more, food, bunny, cat, dog, horse, wash, drink, butterfly, bird, cold, lion, crocodile, fish, hat and where.