Breastfeeding
Options

Is this the right decision?

Hey guys. My name is Kristin and I am expecting in Feb. In my head I have decided that I sort of want to breast feed. Even though I am not a person that is freaked out by mothers who do breast feed in public.... I'm just not comfortable enough for that myself. So I was thinking that I could just strictly pump and just freeze the milk. I know breast milk has got to be both healthier and cheaper than formula, but this something that is even doable? You never hear of people doing this, its just always either you breast feed or you don't. Thanks for the feedback.

Re: Is this the right decision?

• Options
    Actually exclusively pumping is very common and if you google it you'll find a lot of information on the topic. Another option is that you can breastfeed at home but pump and bring bottles when you are going out.
  • Options
    A lot of working moms exclusively pump! Very doable if you're organized and like schedules!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited June 2015
    EPing is hard - you have to pump, and then give the expressed milk via a bottle, doubling the time required to feed your baby. That said, it can be done!
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    I'm EP-ing
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Ermmm... Pumping (exclusively or partial) is extremely common.... It is totally doable. It is a lot if work/time, but so is direct BFing, and for some people it works better than direct BFing... BFing is NOT all or nothing...
  • Options
    I am ebf my 3 month old, and haven't gotten comfortable with doing it in public yet. My lo kicks around a lot and is super active, even while nursing, so I haven't even attempted. If I know we are going somewhere and she will need to eat while we're out, I'll pump and bring a bottle. I usually pump after her first feeding of the day, and it's good for a few hours at room temp, so no messing with warming it up. If it's later in the day I'll try to plan to pump later. I'm hoping it'll get easier as she gets older! We're flying in a couple days and I'm still trying to figure out nursing at the airport and on the plane so I don't have to worry about the pump.