Breastfeeding

Low supply tips

my daughter is almost 5 weeks old now. She had tongue tie when she was born and lost a lot of weight because of not being able to latch properly. She had her tongue tie clipped PP day 5 but the Dr said that I had to supplement formula until she got back up to birth weight which took 3 weeks. I was hoping to be able to switch back to exclusively breastfeeding but my milk supply is so low. I nurse on demand about every 1-2 hours during the day and try to pump a couple times a day in between if possible. I take fenugreek, nursing support teas and even made lactation cookies but I still have a low supply. I drink a ton of water too. When I pump in the morning I get about 3oz total from both sides for 20 minutes but in the afternoon I get 1-2 total. Any suggestions of what else I can do to increase my milk supply because my daughter is drinking about 4oz now when she has a bottle. Thanks for your help. Sorry so long winded!

Re: Low supply tips

• I would pump more, try to pump after every feed during the day and at least once at night.
  • Yep, pump 7-8 times and if you can, rent a hospital grade (e.g. Medela Symphony) pump. Doesn't matter if you only get 2oz per pump (or even less). Stick with it for a week and it's virtually guaranteed you'll see an improvement. Also, pump for 3 minutes after the last drop, and do compressions as you pump to make sure it all comes out (and as quickly as possible so you don't have to sit there forever).

My story is almost identical to yours, excel that we started supplementing with donor milk on day four, and got back to birth weight the following week. I started pumping on day 7 with a Symphony. It's a pain, but worth it to be able to maintain or increase your supply. 
  • Loading the player...
  • A bottle of formula or bm?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I see that you said you made lactation cookies but they weren't effective. Try power pumping: 15 minutes pumping, 15 minutes off, 15 minutes pumping, 15 minutes off, etc for an hour or two. Maybe give these a try: Go to www.thebreastcookieever.com for lactation cookies! They will help you! The website has a FAQ link as well! I hope you continue on your breastfeeding journey! And congratulations on your new little one!
  • I'm in the same boat ! DS is going to be 1 month tomorrow. I use the nipple shield and I can see he's getting milk, however I have to supplement him with 2 oz of formula after I BF. I have been pumping after each feeding....and i'm lucky if I get 2 oz out of the right breast. The left I'm lucky if I get even an ounce a DAY (I had breast duct surgery a year and a half ago). I'm so frustrated. I am drinking a lot of water, taking fenugreek 2 tabs 3x/day, drinking mothers milk (2 cups a day), eating oatmeal at least once a day......I don't know what to do !!!!!   

• CanadaMom17CanadaMom17 member
    edited July 2015
    I'm going through a plethora of issues nursing, but still plugging along.  This week my lactation consultant suggested trying panela - something she learned about from a Colombian client.  It's pucks of pressed cane sugar.  Break them up, boil them in 1.5 litres of water, and drink it daily (no good if you're diabetic!).  Each puck is about...oh, 3 or 4 oz?  Just guesstimating.  You can drink it hot, cold, flavour it, whatever.  I've been making my lactation tea with it, and drinking it cold.  I might try making lemonade, or boiling it in milk to make 'chocolate milk' and doing 1/2 litre of milk, 1/2 litre of water a day.  Just started, so I'm not sure if it's helping much yet.  I did get an extra ounce and a half from the side I pump from this morning.

Edit to add:  I think it is helping - I pumped off about 6 oz yesterday rather than a maximum 2.5-3.  Since I'm just supplementing what she feeds from me, this will hopefully help me stave off formula.  The sugar I'm using is from an Asian grocer, and is actually Thai palm sugar.  Since coconut is supposed to be a galactagogue this would make perfect sense.  I think I'll stick with the palm sugar.