July 2015 Moms
Options

Bringing a heating pad to the hospital?

have any stm brought a heating pad to the hospital to help with back labor? I know when I used to get my period I would get the worst cramping in my lower back and the only thing that would help was laying on the heating pad! So I'm thinking that might be a good idea for during and after labor just to stay comfortable... Anyone else? I'm a ftm and I'm trying to make a list of what I'm going to bring in my hospital bag and am trying to be creative with things that'll keep me comfortable!

Re: Bringing a heating pad to the hospital?

• Options
    I took a hot water bottle with my first and it did help very early on. TENS was also good and you can use them together x
  • Options
    areseearesee member
    The midwife at my hospital recommended bringing one if you think it might help. The hospital has them, but she said they're terrible. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My hospital won't let you use the ones that plug in. But I think I'm gonna use the TENS. I might call the hospital to make sure you can use it first. Don't wanna bring it and not be able to use it.
  • Options
    I used a rice sock, they are really easy to make and stay hot for a long time, provided your SO will have access to a microwave.
  • Options
    Oh and the nice thing about a rice sock is that you can move around with it, you aren't hindered by the cord.
  • Options
    Also a ftm, but from my last hospital stay (back pain at 34 weeks) I know they wouldn't let me bring my own, but the nurse was nice enough to keep heated towels for me as I needed them.