December 2015 Moms
Options

UO 6/18/15

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet...What's your unpopular opinion this week?

Re: UO 6/18/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hate wearing dresses. My thighs rub and it gets sweaty here. Pants keep things nicely separated. If I wear dresses, I wear knee length leggings underneath.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    redfallon said:

I hate wearing dresses. My thighs rub and it gets sweaty here. Pants keep things nicely separated. If I wear dresses, I wear knee length leggings underneath.

I hate chaffing as well! I bought these super thin, silky shorts from Kohls to wear under my sundresses. They're breathable but stop from the rubbing and chaffing.

• Options
    tralalablahtralalablah member
    edited June 2015
    redfallon said:
    @redfallon @embuzz247 Friction Defense will change your life. I get it at Walmart.

• Options

redfallon said:

@redfallon @embuzz247 Friction Defense will change your life. I get it at Walmart.

I'll have to check that out! Thanks!
  • Options
    Yes yes yes! @kyleneum13 @DH09072012 I coach a catholic school cheer team and have been FLAMED by parents and others about being pregnant and not married and coaching a team. I was on the team when I was in grade school and came back to coach many years ago. I respect their religion but JEEZ, just because I'm not married doesn't mean I'm going to be any less of a great mother! Wooo..little rant over!
  • Options
    Embuzz247 said:

My UO is that I HATE, nay, LOATHE cold bananas. Every body has their things, and cold bananas are mine. Room temperature is fine.

Omg really? Frozen bananas are my jam lol
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    I find most maternity pants and shorts to be ugly, they tend to be baggy in the butt ;))
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I find most maternity pants and shorts to be ugly, they tend to be baggy in the butt ;))
    Right? All of mine are except for the pair I'm wearing today. I LOVE them but I got them second hand off a lady in my community so they don't have them anymore (about 2 years old I think). But they are awesome black pants for work and so comfortable. I have a feeling I'll be wearing these a lot.
  • Options
    @lynem29 I think that's great that you are open minded and are giving your child choice. Do you plan on educating your child about various religions/beliefs? Or do you just plan on answering questions as they arise?
  • Options
    lynem29 said:
    Originally I wasn't going to post a UO because yesterday had a few threads that got heated enough for my entire week ... didn't feel like getting into anything else ... but then I realized what it was that got me heated and decided that I actually have a VERY UO to post today.

I strongly dislike organized religion. 

I fully support spirituality, faith, and believing in a higher power (whatever that may be, God included). I support and recognize the foundations upon which religion was formed, all of which I also support ... but I cannot and will never be able to get behind actual organized religion.

Let the flaming begin. 
    I'm perfectly cool with anyone who wants/needs organized religion in their life and respect each and every person's individual religious beliefs as long as it is doing no physical/emotional harm. That being said, I'm atheist. So is DH. Religion just isn't for us and never will be. We are very open minded,however, and our little girl will have every opportunity to decide for herself if she will be atheist, spiritual, religious or something in between. We've already discussed this and just because we are atheist does not mean our child can't choose different beliefs. We are accepting of whatever she chooses (except something to the tune of straight-up cult). We want her to be happy, but emotionally and physically safe. My beliefs (or lack thereof!) are definitely an UO!!!
    I'm really glad you brought this up because this has been a touchy subject in our household (at least to me, DH doesn't seem to think it's an issue).

DH grew up extremely religious. He had some really upsetting experiences in high school though that completely turned him away from religion and now considers himself an athiest. I am not religious but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself an athiest. I'm on a spiritual journey and believe in something, I just haven't figured out what seems truthful/right to me. 

That being said, I believe, like you, that our child needs to have the opportunity to make this decision for him/herself. I asked DH a few months ago (before pregnant) what he would do if our child came to us one day and told us that they wanted to go to church. I asked him if he would go with them. His immediate response was a firm no. I was shocked. I absolutely would attend church to give my son or daughter the opportunity to learn if it was something they wanted. If they decided it was something they wanted to be a part of then I would ensure that they could continue either by going with them or finding a friend/family member that would take him or her as often as she wanted to go. I was really surprised that DH didn't feel the same way.

However, his experiences were a lot more personal than mine as to why he has stepped away from religion. He's made comments since then that lead me to believe that his original response was made in haste, but we haven't really touched upon it again. It's definitely something we will need to discuss though because I don't believe it's appropriate for either of us to force our beliefs or personal views onto our child. Just because we didn't have great experiences doesn't mean they won't or don't deserve the opportunity to experience what it can bring to their lives.
  • Options
    We plan to educate her on whats out there and let set her free to explore when she is old enough. I never grew up with any formal religious education, explored it on my own, and realized I was atheist in early college (I started college when I was 15) once I got heavy into my molecular biology and genetics courses.
  • Options

lynem29 said:

Originally I wasn't going to post a UO because yesterday had a few threads that got heated enough for my entire week ... didn't feel like getting into anything else ... but then I realized what it was that got me heated and decided that I actually have a VERY UO to post today.

I fully support spirituality, faith, and believing in a higher power (whatever that may be, God included). I support and recognize the foundations upon which religion was formed, all of which I also support ... but I cannot and will never be able to get behind actual organized religion.

Let the flaming begin. 
    I'm perfectly cool with anyone who wants/needs organized religion in their life and respect each and every person's individual religious beliefs as long as it is doing no physical/emotional harm.
    That being said, I'm atheist. So is DH. Religion just isn't for us and never will be.
    We are very open minded,however, and our little girl will have every opportunity to decide for herself if she will be atheist, spiritual, religious or something in between. We've already discussed this and just because we are atheist does not mean our child can't choose different beliefs. We are accepting of whatever she chooses (except something to the tune of straight-up cult). We want her to be happy, but emotionally and physically safe.
    My beliefs (or lack thereof!) are definitely an UO!!!

I'm really glad you brought this up because this has been a touchy subject in our household (at least to me, DH doesn't seem to think it's an issue).

DH grew up extremely religious. He had some really upsetting experiences in high school though that completely turned him away from religion and now considers himself an athiest. I am not religious but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself an athiest. I'm on a spiritual journey and believe in something, I just haven't figured out what seems truthful/right to me. 

That being said, I believe, like you, that our child needs to have the opportunity to make this decision for him/herself. I asked DH a few months ago (before pregnant) what he would do if our child came to us one day and told us that they wanted to go to church. I asked him if he would go with them. His immediate response was a firm no. I was shocked. I absolutely would attend church to give my son or daughter the opportunity to learn if it was something they wanted. If they decided it was something they wanted to be a part of then I would ensure that they could continue either by going with them or finding a friend/family member that would take him or her as often as she wanted to go. I was really surprised that DH didn't feel the same way.

However, his experiences were a lot more personal than mine as to why he has stepped away from religion. He's made comments since then that lead me to believe that his original response was made in haste, but we haven't really touched upon it again. It's definitely something we will need to discuss though because I don't believe it's appropriate for either of us to force our beliefs or personal views onto our child. Just because we didn't have great experiences doesn't mean they won't or don't deserve the opportunity to experience what it can bring to their lives.

It's definitely a difficult subject especially when your own views down perfectly align with DH/SO's. I agree with a lot of your viewpoint and wish you strength in discussing this with your DH in the future. It won't be easy, but at least you have a lot of time to come to a compromise.
    Like you, I'd hate for my child to miss out on something they find meaningful in their life (even if it is organized religion) just because this plays no part in the life of myself or DH.
  • Options
    lynem29 said:

We plan to educate her on whats out there and let set her free to explore when she is old enough. I never grew up with any formal religious education, explored it on my own, and realized I was atheist in early college (I started college when I was 15) once I got heavy into my molecular biology and genetics courses.

You started college at 15 in molecular biology and genetics?! Are you a genius?? Because I am officially extremely impressed!! Haha
  • Options
    CMDDCMDD member
    @embuzz247 ugh i dislike crocs too. do people still wear those? i think they were big in the geriatric population and people with feet problems. 
  • Options
    Okay I LOVE cold bananas! Not frozen but cold lol I always put a banana in the refrigerator about an hour before I eat it! Yum!

Also, crocs are awful. That's all I have to say about that!

My UO is that I despise hearing people chew. I have friends that have horrible table manners and I CAN'T EVEN! Gaw. Writing that down I suddenly feel like a huge weirdo lol

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018

• Options
    @CMDD I saw an older gentleman in JCPenney's just the other day in crocs!
  • Options
    Embuzz247 said:

My next UO is that I hate crocs. They are effing ugly and make me mad. And don't get me started on the little jewels and crap that people decorate them with. Just no.

This, perfection.
  • Options
    @Embuzz247 Yup, best UO I've read so far.
  • Options
    lynem29 said:

Let the flaming begin. 
    I'm perfectly cool with anyone who wants/needs organized religion in their life and respect each and every person's individual religious beliefs as long as it is doing no physical/emotional harm.
    That being said, I'm atheist. So is DH. Religion just isn't for us and never will be.
    We are very open minded,however, and our little girl will have every opportunity to decide for herself if she will be atheist, spiritual, religious or something in between. We've already discussed this and just because we are atheist does not mean our child can't choose different beliefs. We are accepting of whatever she chooses (except something to the tune of straight-up cult). We want her to be happy, but emotionally and physically safe.
    My beliefs (or lack thereof!) are definitely an UO!!!
    Not flaming but I find it ironic that in one breath you say religion isn't for you and never will be, then in the second how open minded you are.
  • Options
    I hate Starbucks.
  • Options
    It's just SO expensive. Haha I've tried a lot of the drinks and just don't like it. I'll stick to my Folger's!
  • Options
    It's just SO expensive. Haha I've tried a lot of the drinks and just don't like it. I'll stick to my Folger's!

It's ridiculous how much they charge for their coffees! I go to Dunkin Donuts instead where it costs half the price.
  • Options
    @QueenWaldorf2: open-minded can mean a myriad of things to different people. I'm generally an "open-minded" person but I do have my non-negotiables and I don't think that disqualifies me from being open-minded. I already have religion a very good objective study and decides I just do not believe in any type of god. Science is my "religion" and I just can't reconcile the two, nor do I care. Other non-negotiables include eating mushrooms, wearing anything purple, owning a minivan, and letting husband ever my laundry because it w. Those things just won't happen, and neither
    @Ken122014 I do not process to be a former child genius, though I wish that had been the case. I was placed in accelerated classes since I was in 1st grade. Combine that with a love affair with everything science related, an intense curiosity about the world, and a near-photographic memory and you have me ;)
  • Options
    lynem29 said:

@QueenWaldorf2: open-minded can mean a myriad of things to different people. I'm generally an "open-minded" person but I do have my non-negotiables and I don't think that disqualifies me from being open-minded. I already have religion a very good objective study and decides I just do not believe in any type of god. Science is my "religion" and I just can't reconcile the two, nor do I care. Other non-negotiables include eating mushrooms, wearing anything purple, owning a minivan, and letting husband ever my laundry because it w. Those things just won't happen, and neither
    @Ken122014 I do not process to be a former child genius, though I wish that had been the case. I was placed in accelerated classes since I was in 1st grade. Combine that with a love affair with everything science related, an intense curiosity about the world, and a near-photographic memory and you have me ;)

It was simply the context it was written in that struck me funny.
    I respect @kyleneum13 and her beliefs and wouldn't be using my faith as any excuse for my behavior on these forums.
    Maybe my UO is I feel that people are so open-minded about most social situations unless it comes to religion or someone's beliefs because of controversy from one religion or another however if you take a step back almost all social situations have had controversies of their own.
    @tralalablah, as stated it was the way it was written.