May 2015 Moms

baby doesn't do down

My baby boy is 5 weeks and hates being put down. While most of the time I am ok with this there are times when I need to not be holding him, and he cries almost instantly. The worst is the car, when I put him in his car seat he immediately starts crying, the vibrations in the car don't even keep him calm or sleepy. We have had to be in the car more than I would like since he was two weeks old and for at least 45 mins at a time..the constant crying is gut wrenching and I don't know how to calm him, especially from the front drivers seat. The crying doesn't even tire him out he will cry the entire time. Anyone have any tips?

Re: baby doesn't do down

• mars8kmars8k member
    Does he take a pacifier? Maybe it can help
  • CanadaMom17CanadaMom17 member
    edited June 2015
    I know some babies are just fussy (mine is Princess Crotchetypants), but maybe check that everything is ok with the carseat?  No...plastic tags or anything left on that might be poking him, or be sure it's not too tightly fastened?  Maybe a wrap to wear him in while you're doing things around the house?

• Loading the player...
  • Get a wrap (stretchy is best at the newborn stage) and wear that baby! My son was the exact same way and it changed my life! Didn't fix the car seat issue though - he eventually grew out of that. I have heard of one mom who put an 8 x 10 photo of herself smiling on the back seat for baby to look at and apparently that helped. Might be worth a try.
    This LO also cries in the car seat but at 4 weeks seems to be mellowing. We get about a third of our rides at least partly quiet!