July 2015 Moms

being put to sleep for csection

Any moms have to be put to sleep for a c section? Had to meet with the anaesthesiologist yesterday and they told me to be prepared for this (due to medical reasons). Just a little worried about it.

Re: being put to sleep for csection

• kfitz87 said:

Any moms have to be put to sleep for a c section? Had to meet with the anaesthesiologist yesterday and they told me to be prepared for this (due to medical reasons). Just a little worried about it.

Are you not an epidural candidate?
  • The risk of needing a general anaesthetic for a c section due to failure of regional anaesthetic is around 1%, so ALL women should have a discussion about this as part of the consent process. Unless they specifically said you cannot have a spinal/epidural for whatever reason I wouldn't worry about it too much x
    babydoll1008
  • Loading the player...
  • When I had DS I had to be put out for an emergency c section, the spinal block didn't take.  It was a little disappointing because neither DH or I got to see DS be born but in the end we still had our sweet boy.  I wouldn't worry.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hm.. I didn't know they still did this.. Wth my last c section, the spinal worked.. I was still wiggling my toes and could feel them move me or put pressure, but couldn't feel pain, and it wore off really fast! Like they wheeled me into recovery and I felt the wave of pain starting! The nurse was like "we ordered the meds but they take a little to get here, women are still usually under the influence of spinal.. So since I'm having my tubes tied I'm worried how this will go.. What if the feeling comes back while I'm still open.. Go right ahead and knock me out as soon as I get to see her!
  • Try not to worry, I work in OB anesthesia, general anesthesia for C section (being put all the way to sleep) is very routine and safe. It's not ideal just because you don't get to meet your new baby until after you wakeup, but if for some reason you can't have a spinal or it doesn't work, this is the only other way to do it. Will be quick and you'll do great! Good luck!
    mommy1922zmombieambahhpanabaker
  • Brummy14Brummy14 member
    edited June 2015
    They had to put me under -- they put in an epidural the night before, hoping to help with pain management as they attempted to stop labor (I was just over 29w at the time). It wasn't a great epidural - I was still in considerable pain. At that point I was only 1cm - the next AM, fully dilated, DD1s HR kept decelerating, and they could SEE her feet. I was in the OR in minutes, and bc I could feel them touching my belly, they had to put me under -- there was not enough time to try to pump more drugs via the epidural.

So, yes, it happens. That said, my case was quite the extreme one.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ambahambah member
    I am in the same boat....they said I have a 50/50 chance of either having a general or spinal. I won't know til the day of my c-section and know which anesthesiologist is working. I have complete placenta previa and some will only do a general for this and some will do a spinal. I am crossing my fingers for a spinal!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• ambahambah member

Try not to worry, I work in OB anesthesia, general anesthesia for C section (being put all the way to sleep) is very routine and safe. It's not ideal just because you don't get to meet your new baby until after you wakeup, but if for some reason you can't have a spinal or it doesn't work, this is the only other way to do it. Will be quick and you'll do great! Good luck!

This is re-assuring to hear! Do you find with a general the moms are more groggy and out of it? Im worried if I have one, I won't remember the first few hours after waking up, or will be completely out of it.

BabyFetus Ticker

• SanineSanine member
    I had to be asleep for ds. I woke up with them wheeling me to recovery about an hour after birth. DH was able to see and hold him while I was still out of it, but I remember seeing DS and kissing him within seconds of waking up. Within 15 minutes they were allowing me to try to breastfeed.

I was extremely tired the following days, but I was also without the iron medicine I needed since I was anemic. Not sure if that played a role in my sleepiness.
    kfitz87
  • I have itp and they won't do epidural or spinal if my platelet level is below 90,000. Currently they are at 55.. It will all depend on my pre op lab work. I'm just nervous about being asleep and not being able to see baby or even have my husband with me. Or being able to voice any concerns... I know everything will be a okay though. Thanks everyone!
  • Yes, a general anesthetic will make you more groggy on recovery because of the gas we have to use to keep you under. But that should wear off fairly quickly. As long as no IV amnestics are given (like versed) (which we generally try to stay away from so mom can remember things) you should be able to remember after you wake up and meet your baby. But every
    ambah
  • Everyone wakes up/recovers a little but differently.
    ambah
  • I had an unplanned emergency cesarean with no time for epidural. Literally 4 minutes from discovering prolapsed cord to counting backward on the OR table. I'll be honest and say the recovery was worse as my nerve endings felt every stroke of the incision; even if my mind didn't. I missed the first 45 minutes of my daughter's life, missed the skin to skin, delayed cord clamping and other desires in my birth plan. I didn't walk for 24 hours and was weak the entire 3 day post-labor stay. Attempted a target trip 6-days post op and was shuffling inches after only an hour.
    Also, discuss if your support person can be with you. May have been the urgency of my situation but after 36 hours of natural labor and my
    Husband by my side , it was crushing to be in there alone and him miss the birth of our daughter. I dealt with Post partum depression for at least a year. Had high hopes for my birth experience and this was the least desirable outcome.

Good luck! I'm attempting a water birth VBAC here in Ohio but know a cesarean may be in my future.
  • I was put to sleep, and they have 10 min to take the baby out. It was so quick, however I felt a lot of pain because I had no pain medication yet. But it wasn't bad at all!! And that's the first time I've ever been out to sleep!