Parenting

Teaching about God without Church

2-Step2-Step member
edited June 2015 in Parenting
We don't attend church and aren't particularly religious. DH was raised Catholic and has not practiced since the day that he had the say so in the matter. I was raised without organized religion. Although my parents did encourage me to explore faith and I attended churches, bible studies and church camps with many friends over the years, they do not believe in organized religion in general and have never attended church themselves. 

Recently DS has been asking about God - what is god? and even asking if God is a bad word and saying he wants to learn about God. He told me he knows god watches over us. I'm pretty sure he is getting this from a religious friend at school. I am happy he is curious about it all and want him to be able to learn about it if he wants to.  

I consider myself a spiritual person and not an atheist, but DH an I both have a hard time really subscribing to an organized religion for a variety of reasons. I want my children to be able to lead spiritual lives in any way they choose. I do believe spirituality is an important part of being human. It is very hard for me to explain to them, considering that I feel my spiritual beliefs are ever-evoloving. I am wondering if there is anyone like me out there and if you have any advice on how to teach your child about the idea of god or spirituality without necessarily subscribing to a specific dogma?

I'm wondering if I should put him in a religious program like Sunday School or VBS so he can learn about Christianity and satisfy his curiosity and them talk to him about it? I would love for him to learn about other religions too, but we live in a small town so there aren't many options. 

Re: Teaching about God without Church

• 2-Step2-Step member
    Sorry about the formatting, not sure what happened there!
  • Would you be comfortable allowing your son to attend church with the friend(s) that have been talking to him about God? That's wonderful that you're encouraging him to explore into God further if he wants to. You never know what the results will be until you try.

Both my husband and I were raised in church and have been Christians our entire life. We would love for one of our son's friend to join him at church, Vacation Bible School, Youth Group, Sunday School, etc. if they wanted. We're constantly learning too. I don't think you're ever done. The story of creation may be able to help resolve many of his questions. 
  • Loading the player...
  • 2-Step said:

We don't attend church and aren't particularly religious. DH was raised Catholic and has not practiced since the day that he had the say so in the matter. I was raised without organized religion. Although my parents did encourage me to explore faith and I attended churches, bible studies and church camps with many friends over the years, they do not believe in organized religion in general and have never attended church themselves. 

Recently DS has been asking about God - what is god? and even asking if God is a bad word and saying he wants to learn about God. He told me he knows god watches over us. I'm pretty sure he is getting this from a religious friend at school. I am happy he is curious about it all and want him to be able to learn about it if he wants to.  

I consider myself a spiritual person and not an atheist, but DH an I both have a hard time really subscribing to an organized religion for a variety of reasons. I want my children to be able to lead spiritual lives in any way they choose. I do believe spirituality is an important part of being human. It is very hard for me to explain to them, considering that I feel my spiritual beliefs are ever-evoloving. I am wondering if there is anyone like me out there and if you have any advice on how to teach your child about the idea of god or spirituality without necessarily subscribing to a specific dogma?

I'm wondering if I should put him in a religious program like Sunday School or VBS so he can learn about Christianity and satisfy his curiosity and them talk to him about it? I would love for him to learn about other religions too, but we live in a small town so there aren't many options. 
    How old is he? I would recommend Sunday school or vbs. The reason there's church is fellowship and because when reading the Bible a lot of people can misinterpret what certain scriptures mean so they look towards ministers, elders, etc. My father is apostolic my mother (I guess now a Christian) side was Pentecostal. I went to Pentecostal church growing up until I found a mentor and became Baptist. I was baptized Baptist and tried to follow that religious beliefs until I became what I am now. My daughter is somewhat rebellious (12 yrs old) my son is 8 and loves God because when he was 4 I started going to church had them both in church etc. Some churches also have awana which is an evening (usually) for children to get together, have snacks and study. When I have this baby (3rd) I will have her dedicated. As of right now I'm not sure what religion I am (due to my gifts/curses and past experiences that I have blamed on God) but just in case I'm wrong this child like the other two will be deemed as belonging to God. Sorry to ramble just wanted to give insight
  • Having your son go to VBS would be a good thing, but you don't have to send him to church to teach him about God. Nor do you have to have a specific religious sect in mind. I was raised in a non-denominational church but at some point we stopped going and I just attended occasionally with friends. They make lots of age appropriate bibles as well.
  • If you want his spiritual education to be part of a group, you could consider a Universalist Church. They teach that there are many paths to spiritual enlightenment, and appreciate all the major religions.

Anniversary
  • 2-Step2-Step member
    nofrogs said:
    If you want his spiritual education to be part of a group, you could consider a Universalist Church. They teach that there are many paths to spiritual enlightenment, and appreciate all the major religions.

I love this option, unfortunately the closest one is about a 40 minute drive and that is too far for me. 
  • I am in this same boat. I am very spiritual but not religious. However, I was raised Catholic and my family is still very active in the church. My son loves church, and although I personally didn't want him to go, and support him in attending. We also talk about a lot of the things he learns. Some things I go into depth with him and other things I let him know he would have to study when he gets older and decide for himself. I am glad he is attending though as he is being exposed and will one day be able to make an informed decision on whatever spiritual / religious path he chooses.

I remember once asking another spiritual / non-religous friend if he though he should be giving his child some form of religious foundation to build on. His response was that he would teach his child to believed in himself, which spiritually is the most important thing you can do.
  • I, too, am spiritual and not religious. I can appreciate your delima. How old is your DS? I would not send my child to vbs or anywhere until they were older. I would share my exploration with my child. So right now I am reading a spiritual book and if my child was grammar school age (my two are both under 3yr) then I would read it out loud with them and discuss any questions or themes with them. If my toddler came and asked me about this I would honestly tell her that I don't know and try to explain that there are different theories out there and we can talk about them together any time she likes and encourage her to ask her friends and family what they believe. I would save the vbs and church going for the tween and teen years, personally.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SidraJedi said:
    I, too, am spiritual and not religious. I can appreciate your delima. How old is your DS? I would not send my child to vbs or anywhere until they were older. I would share my exploration with my child. So right now I am reading a spiritual book and if my child was grammar school age (my two are both under 3yr) then I would read it out loud with them and discuss any questions or themes with them. If my toddler came and asked me about this I would honestly tell her that I don't know and try to explain that there are different theories out there and we can talk about them together any time she likes and encourage her to ask her friends and family what they believe. I would save the vbs and church going for the tween and teen years, personally.
    Thanks! He is 6. What book are you reading? I do the same thing with my kids now, explaining how I feel about things and explaining ideas and different opinions as best I can. I think I agree with saving the VBS stuff for when they are older. I went to youth group at a few different churches as a tween/teen and I felt it was very interesting and was glad I had the opportunity, yet I still felt I had enough world knowledge at that point to ask the right questions and make up my own mind. At this age it might just confuse him as to why we aren't going to church but he is being told that we should or something. I'm glad others are in my same position. 
  • SidraJediSidraJedi member
    edited September 2015
    2-Step said:

SidraJedi said:

I, too, am spiritual and not religious. I can appreciate your delima. How old is your DS? I would not send my child to vbs or anywhere until they were older. I would share my exploration with my child. So right now I am reading a spiritual book and if my child was grammar school age (my two are both under 3yr) then I would read it out loud with them and discuss any questions or themes with them. If my toddler came and asked me about this I would honestly tell her that I don't know and try to explain that there are different theories out there and we can talk about them together any time she likes and encourage her to ask her friends and family what they believe. I would save the vbs and church going for the tween and teen years, personally.

Thanks! He is 6. What book are you reading? I do the same thing with my kids now, explaining how I feel about things and explaining ideas and different opinions as best I can. I think I agree with saving the VBS stuff for when they are older. I went to youth group at a few different churches as a tween/teen and I felt it was very interesting and was glad I had the opportunity, yet I still felt I had enough world knowledge at that point to ask the right questions and make up my own mind. At this age it might just confuse him as to why we aren't going to church but he is being told that we should or something. I'm glad others are in my same position. 

~~QBF~~
    Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking and I had a similar experience to yours.

I am on a G.I. Gurdjieff kick right now and I read Meetings with Remarkable men and Boyhood with Gurdjieff (by Fritz Peters) back to back (I read Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson two years ago and I plan to read Life is Real Only Then When I Am as soon as I can get a copy).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know you say a lot about "religion" and being "religious" but it's not about that at all! It's about relationship , and him being so young it'd be good for him to be involved in church activities , not only learning about God but also having values instilled in a different manner than what you and your husband can teach!
  • I wouldn't be comfortable sending my kid to church. I dont even use church day care. Can you find videos & worksheets online? I like the Caleb & Sophia series.