February 2015 Moms

Rejecting the breast?

My LO has been primarily breastfeed from birth, but occasionally needs supplemental bottles (she eats erratically) and she gets bottles of pumped milk when I am at work. The past 3 days she has been freaking out a lot when I bring her to my breast and we have to make her a bottle. Not every time but a lot. Is she weening? I'm not ready to have to pump all the time. I'm hoping it's just a phase.

Re: Rejecting the breast?

• Try a slow nipple she has to work hard at. Played drop ins
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for suggesting this. I realized that two weeks ago we transitioned her to the level 2 nipple which has a faster flow. We are bringing her back down to level 1 to see if this helps. :)
  • turnowturnow member
    My LO is 4 months and did this as well. I went back to work when he was 3 months. We didn't have any issues until about a week ago. Every time I went to breast feed him he would freak, turning his head away and screaming. I felt Terrible. I was running out of pumped milk and I was producing less and less. So naturally, I was super upset. Finally, I came to terms with the fact that my little man was probably done nursing (as my mother In law told me multiple times). So I broke down and bought formula because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to feed him. He ate the formula for a day and one night. The next morning, I tried nursing him again and nursed like nothing had ever happened!! I was so relieved. I am so not ready to be done! So don't give up.
  • That's great! I think the problem with my LO was that I had just switched her nipples to the next flow rate. She was spitting up her bottles at first with it because it comes out faster. So I think she got so used to the bottles being easier to suck that she got impatient with the breast. I have switched back to the old nipples and so far we are getting better :). I'm glad your son realized that you've got the good stuff lol!
  • This has happened to me as well....breast flow at a certain rate and unfortunately it's not fast enough for my LO so he's moved away from the breast mostly and moved to only pumping breast milk. I would suggest a slower nipple as well if you want to continue to I initially breastfeed. Good luck
  • I had switched up to a level two nipple and I think that caused the rejection. We moved back to level one and she is for the most part better :)