Parenting after 35

Weekly Check-In 6/14

How was your week?

QOTW: What is your favorite summer drink?

NB: Would you like to volunteer to take over the Weekly Check-Ins for the following 10 weeks? This is my final week of doing them.

Re: Weekly Check-In 6/14

• I just checked-in from last week. Not much has happened since yesterday. Tomorrow is the first day that BOTH my husband and I return to work and DD starts daycare. I'm also trying to go to the gym regularly, from day 1, to get it into the routine.

My favorite summer drink is lemonade. I like a variety of mixed alcoholic beverages (margarita, Pina colada, Mai tai, etc), and love a good summer shandy beer. But none are a consistent favorite. I go through phases. But lemonade never changes. Except today, when I would have killed for a Sonic cherry slush.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Had a good week overall as described in my separate post, though DS might be embarking on a growth spurt judging from his cluster feeding and my related fatigue. DS started laughing loudly and goofily today, which was awesome.

QOTW: unsweetened iced tea of various flavors
  • Loading the player...
  • This past week was good, yet crazy at the same time. My husband has been working on our upstairs renovation to move our older girls upstairs, so the new baby will have a room soon. It's almost done! Unfortunately, I will be returning to work in a few weeks, so prepping by catching up on appointments.

QOTW: My favorite beverage in general is Diet Pepsi. But on a hot summer night I wouldn't mind a glass of wine or Strawberita!
  • So flipping tired this week with baby nursing frequently and night feedings and other kids going batty on us. My 3.5 yo had hour long meltdown last night because he wanted it to be 9:04 (it had passed) - second night in a row of these major meltdowns at bedtime.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Whopse - favorite summer drink? Beer. A nice cold hoegaarden works
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • mindaamindaa member
    NB: Would you like to volunteer to take over the Weekly Check-Ins for the following 10 weeks? This is my final week of doing them.
    I could do that - 10 weeks would take me right through the end of my maternity leave. 

How was your week?
    DS's 2nd week of life... I just feel like a human buffet. Don't know how mom's do it with other kids around. I feel bad for my parents who are in town, I sense they were hoping for an awake, happily cooing baby to play with.They wait around all day to get about 1/2 hour of that in between the constant sleeping and eating.
    QOTW: What is your favorite summer drink?
    mmm. Sangria. Or cider. Both of which I'm craving right now with a NB and house guests.

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited June 2015
    @mindaa thanks so much for volunteering :-) lots of love-its coming your way. And thanks @NeonNoon for keeping us together up to now!

We seem to be turning a corner with latching issues, at least on my left side; I haven't tried the right as it's still *very* raw and oozing lymph (:p). However, I'm not sure he's terribly efficient at removing milk, leaving me to pump after each (left side) feed anyway.  Hopefully one day soon he'll get the hang of it and we can leave the house without needing to think about a pump... 

I went to a meeting at work yesterday; it was actually really nice to see everyone. We have a strange team and have gone through terrible management changes lately so the atmosphere has been tense, but now we have a new manager and it seems to be working out well. 

My favourite summer drinks are unsweetened ice tea and chilled pouilly-fume white wine. But I also love me a Hoegaarden (with a slice of lemon or orange, to the horror of my craft beer drinking friends).
  • Thanks @mindaa ! You're it
  • Hello all! My first check-in!

So DH was off work last week and we tried to figure things out a bit, but this week I've been on my own. It's definitely rough. This kiddo never stops eating. Thankfully, DH relieves me when he gets home from work and gives LO a bottle of formula so I get a break. I plan to start pumping next week, so we can have breast milk at the ready. I am also having a home visit tomorrow from a local organization that helps new parents learn how to sooth baby without constantly feeding. I'm looking forward to that.

Favorite summer drink... Beer. But that's really my favorite all year long!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited June 2015
    ewenner said:
     a local organization that helps new parents learn how to sooth baby without constantly feeding.
    @ewenner Do let us know when you find out how! 
  • marijaa333 - Haha!  The woman that visited yesterday was really great.  She stayed with us for two full hours observing behaviors and patterns and the environment.  She got a good dose of LO refusing to sleep and wanting to be fed constantly.  She gave me some good pointers on transitioning him from my arms into the crib after feedings - making sure he's sleeping pretty deeply before putting him down, so he would be less likely to be disturbed by the change, having a consistent routine before putting him down every time, and standing by the crib patting his belly, rubbing his head, etc to make sure he's really asleep before walking away.  She also said that it's important NOT to feed him every single time he cries - try to wait a good two hours from the start of his last feeding, and until then, just keep trying other methods to soothe him.  

She also gave me lots of encouragement, which was probably just as helpful as the actual tips.  She is coming back next week to follow-up and see how we're doing.  I really enjoyed having her come in to help, and I'm hoping that using her suggestions will head s down a road toward better sleep (for the little guy and for me!)  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker