1st Trimester
Options

First night shift since the positive test.. Tips?!

hartungnehartungne member
edited June 2015 in 1st Trimester
I'm a registered nurse in an icu. We work three 12 hour shifts a week, and rotate days and nights. At 5 weeks 2 days pregnant, I've been pretty tired, generally falling asleep around 9pm and waking up before my alarm around 530am, which works perfectly for daylight (7a-730p)... But for the next two weeks I'm night shift (7p-730a). I've also got a 45 minute commute home from work. I was able to sleep till about 1045a and then napped from 1230p-4p, and knowing I can't just chug coffee like I normally would is scaring me. Any tips on surviving and staying awake for my whole shift?

Re: First night shift since the positive test.. Tips?!

• Options
    You can still have some coffee, I would definitely use that for the commute to ensure your safety. Snacking also helps keep me awake, so maybe pack some goldfish or grapes and munch a few every half hour to try and keep yourself up.
  • Options
    Hopefully it is busy enough to stay awake, but not crazy.  During 1st tri, I always liked nice and steady shifts.

And that blows that you have to shift from days to nights to days. I was either nights or days.  I am now days, with a set schedule. It is glorious.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just struggle through and use minimal amounts of caffeine lol. I know everyone is different but I can say for me the extreme tiredness subsided at about 9 weeks.
  • Options
    Solid... Hoping this lets up for me, too. I'm saving my cup of coffee for a bit before the lovely drive home bleh
  • Options
    Nights are definitely calmer... And I'm ridiculously jealous of your set schedule! So hard to plan or do anything or ever have a normal sleep schedule with rotating the way I do.