Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Is this serious?

About 10 days after having my baby girl, the high of having her took a drastic turn to the baby blues. We are now about 5 weeks pp and I still have symptoms of the baby blues and it's really starting to weigh on my relationship. My boyfriend is wanting me to get help for it because he says he can't handle the drastic ups and downs anymore. I don't feel like it's a serious issue that can be helped, I just feel like I am exhausted and I get overwhelmed from not being able to care for myself properly. He doesn't wake in the night for her at all, it's only me, and then he's at work all day and at night he can do what he pleases, so I don't think he really understands how overwhelming it can get. Do I need help? :(

Re: Is this serious?

• Better to be safe than sorry. Reach out to your OB to start, or look for a PPD mental health counselor. PPD/PMAD is a real thing, and can take a toll on every aspect of your life if left untreated. 1 in 7 women will experience postpartum depression.

PPD support groups, individual or couples counseling, or medication (or some combination thereof) can be a great help.
    Married July 2009, Rescue dog adopted September 2010, DS born June 2012
    Expecting LO2 in February 2016
    Ghost of MrsMuq
  • I had a terrible case of the baby blues.  I was anxious over every little thing that was happening with my DS as well as what was going on with my body.  I was so paranoid that I was calling the OB over every little thing worried that something was wrong. 

The second week after having DS I went in to see the OB and talked about how I was feeling.  To be on the safe side I have been put on Depression/Anxiety medication due to the fear of it turning into PPD.  I was also given a counselors name in case I needed to talk to someone other than family and friends. 

While I hate the fact that I am medicating myself in order to be able to function like my old self, I am also thankful that there are resources out there.  I am hoping after a few months I will no longer need the medication.

If I were you, I would reach out to your OB.  And if you haven't already, talk to your boyfriend about needing him to help out a little bit more. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mandapanda806 - I am currently experiencing this also.. Did you go to your OB? I already had my 6 week pp check up at 5w3d. I am wondering if I could go to my PCP for this instead? I am 7 weeks PP and was starting to feel better but now I feel worse again.
  • nursej519 said:
    @mandapanda806 - I am currently experiencing this also.. Did you go to your OB? I already had my 6 week pp check up at 5w3d. I am wondering if I could go to my PCP for this instead? I am 7 weeks PP and was starting to feel better but now I feel worse again.

I would start with your PCP rather than your OB. They should be monitoring you for this.
  • I ended up going to my OB for this, however it was because I was passing clots and I was paranoid that something was wrong.  At my appointment they did an ultrasound to make sure there everything is healing well (which it was thankfully!) When my midwife came in to discuss the ultrasound results we talked about how I've been feeling and she is the one that prescribed it.

Given the fact that you have already had your postpartum appointment, I would go to your PCP about it.  They should be able to help you.
  • I ended up calling my insurance and they said I can bypass my PCP and gave me the number of some counselors near by. I think even just having someone to talk to will help me so much. I am looking forward to my first appointment
  • AshfirthAshfirth member
    edited June 2015
    To me it sounds like you need your partner to be more supportive. Good luck!
  • About 10 days after having my baby girl, the high of having her took a drastic turn to the baby blues. We are now about 5 weeks pp and I still have symptoms of the baby blues and it's really starting to weigh on my relationship. My boyfriend is wanting me to get help for it because he says he can't handle the drastic ups and downs anymore. I don't feel like it's a serious issue that can be helped, I just feel like I am exhausted and I get overwhelmed from not being able to care for myself properly. He doesn't wake in the night for her at all, it's only me, and then he's at work all day and at night he can do what he pleases, so I don't think he really understands how overwhelming it can get. Do I need help? :(

I didn't mean to hijack your thread.. Honestly, if it will help your relationship to seek help, then go for it. You can never have too much help, but you can have a lack of it.