February 2015 Moms

Big Boy on our hands

hi everyone
My son who is now three and a half months weighs 16 pounds already! Do I need to cut him back on his formula which would make him extremely grumpy. I was looking at a weight chart last night and a typical boy for his age weighs 13 pounds. So he's already 3 pounds overweight

Re: Big Boy on our hands

• Where are you seeing this chart?? A baby needs to grow on their own growth curve. My son is over 15 lbs and 4 months. I would never consider cutting back on food unless a doctor suggested it. If you're concerned please discuss this matter with your pediatrician, but by no means start cutting back on food because a chart said your baby was "overweight."
  • My first son was big and the doctor was never concerned. He is still big in comparison to where he should be for a 20 month old. Once they start moving they will thin out
  • Loading the player...
  • It's in a book called your baby's first year. If I cut back on this guy I would have a very mad little boy. If he doesn't eat on time the fit he throws is truly monumental so I can only imagine cutting back would be a nightmare!
  • My baby will be 4 months tomorrow and almost weighs 17 pounds. Shes breastfed so eats whenever she wants it. I would not cut food back. You don't want him to be hungry do you? Which he will be if you cut back on formula for him. He's just a very healthy boy.
  • Thanks if one more person calls him enormous I'm going to holler at them. Like its his fault. He's very healthy and reaching all his milestones. Guess he's going to be a big boy which shouldn't surprise me given that his father and I are tall people.
  • My 16 week old is 16 pounds and happy and healthy! Like someone mentioned above - there's no magical chart you should be going off of...only your baby's own growth line.
  • Hahaha! My son is 3.5 mo and weighs 18.5lbs... He's just a solid boy :) he's happy, sleeps great, obviously eats great, and is doing everything a 3.5 month old should be. Your little one is just fine
  • My little guy is 19 lbs at 14 weeks! Our pediatrician said he looks great. Just more of him to snuggle!