August 2015 Moms
Options

Sciatic pain after sex

I've intermitently had sciatic pain throughout my pregnancy, but on two occasions I've had severe episodes right after sex. I get severe pain down my right leg and numbness, I stretch, move positions try to hit trigger points all without effect, anyone else experiencing anything like this?? I did slip down the stairs last week down 5 steps on my back and butt and required the baby to be monitored for four hrs thank God the baby is fine but I'm worried I may have exacerbated things with my back. Although the first attacking happened before my fall today's episode was far worse. I'm 31 weeks.

Re: Sciatic pain after sex

• Options
    mrsb30mrsb30 member
    edited June 2015
    Maybe try having sex in a different position? One that doesn't have pressure or weight on your back?

Edit: to say I'm sorry! I read this in the middle of the night and then responded this am. Clearly I didn't read the whole thing in my sleepy state. I'm sorry about your fall! Glad you and baby are ok! Have you tried a chiropractor for your back? I have seen one the whole pregnancy and it really helps. I'm sorry you're in so much pain!
  • Options
    Mrsb30 thanks for the feedback, I'm starting to think it was the sex because the pain came back tonight after being on my feet all day at work and ran errands after work, going to try heat/ice and try massage next! I used a chiropractor in the past and it caused more pain so now I'm reluctant to try again!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So sorry to hear about this! You could try a tens unit. I'm having the same issue. Mine has saved me along with icing.
  • Options
    I will def look into a Tens thanks, I did start icing and alternating heat which alleviates some pain!
  • Options
    My siatic was acting up a few months ago. Not sure of there was a trigger (other then the life growing inside of me) or not. It was 3 days of barely being able to walk. Laying on heating pad help but only temp. I decided to try yoga a couple nights before bed and that did seem to give long term relief. It was aweful at first because of the pain but if you can power through it (maybe some Tylenol an hour before) it might help you as well. Gl and glad to hear that baby is ok in there!