Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Biting

A few weeks ago my friends son bit my daughter (16 months). Since that happened she's been biting a lot and then laughs. I know she is doing it for attention so I tried to ignore it and redirect her to something different but she has started biting a lot more and other people so I have to bring attention to it. Every time she does it I say firmly no bite! And I put her in a "time out" in her crib for 1 minute. I am not sure what else to do! The ironic thing is I am a special education teacher for children with autism so behavior therapy is one of the biggest parts of my job but it feels so different when it is my own child! (as weird as that sounds?). At work I would know exactly what to do! I feel so defeated at home :( How else can I handle this?

Re: Biting

• mhwoodmhwood member
    I would avoid putting her in her crib for time out, that could backfire on you. At her age, she also doesn't get time out. Using something like redirection and positive reinforcement for acceptable behaviours will work much better.
  • I agree she is probably not making the connection between biting and time out but I feel that there has to be some consequence so she learns it is not appropriate behavior. I have been using redirection and positive reinforcement however if she does bite I need to have reactive strategies that's why I will remove her and put her in crib for 1 minute. If I am not near her crib I obviously can't do that. I also understand this is a phase and something toddlers do but I at least want to make sure I am doing everything I can as a parent to try and teach her appropriate behaviors. Children are never to young to start learning
  • Loading the player...
  • I think all you can really do is just keep telling her no and reinforcing that its not OK. Eventually she will get it. Consistency is key. Our daycare recently told us that our DD started biting other kids at school to get her way.. like a toy they were playing with she wanted. We don't have the same problem at home so I let them know that they could discipline her how they thought best (aside from hitting). They tell me they tell her no and stop her when they can see it about to happen. You just have to be consistent in your message until they understand.
  • Thanks! That makes me feel better. We have been consistent with every bite and even attempts...im happy to say she has not bitten once today!
  • My DS got bit at daycare last month. He (18 mo) started experimenting. For me, I say "oh, you want to bite? You can bite this" and hand him a chewable toy or something. My DH on the other hand squeals and it is a game for them. Thankfully my son is satisfied by these interactions and has not bit another child (or his sister). We haven't punished for biting since he is learning. On the other hand, he hit me hard in the face the other day and I think he knew better (he knows "gentle" - he softly brushes a person's arm or face) so that was his first (and only so far) time out ("in") - similarly 1 min (on the couch with me). Glad your DD is responding well to your efforts!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Do you or your husband play bite with her? We were doing that ("eating" her feet) but she started play biting us so we stopped doing all of that.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • We don't do that and never really did...not for any reason lol. Her biting is primarily targeted at me :( I know she's doing it to get my attention and a reaction but it hurts! We do though when feeding her a snack such as cracker or pretzel tell her to take a bite so now sometimes she will keep saying I bite. The biting has definitely decreased however she does still do it to me when she is being silly.