November 2015 Moms
Options

Baby Shower Registry Question

I have slowly started putting together our registry and something occurred to me. At what point in your babies age do I cut off the products I register for? For instance, do I pick things they can use their whole first year or only stick to new born items? Do I pick things that go beyond a year? I'm so confused :) and the plethora of products out there isn't helping lol. Any advice is appreciated.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Baby Shower Registry Question

• Options
    I registered for clothes spanning up to 9 months and for items I could use within a year. (Example: baby car seat & infant, high chair, some baby books & simple toys). If people don't want to buy something because it doesn't seem "correct" to them, they will just buy something else.
  • Options
    Put stuff on there for the whole year.
    It's nice to have variety.
    We got a jumper that she couldn't use for a few months but ended up loving.
    Especially if you have a big family and lots of friends put some variety on there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agreed with PP's. I personally would do anything for the first year. If you focus solely on the newborn stage, there really isn't a variety to purchase from. Newborns truly don't need much, a place to sleep, some swaddles or blankets, bottles, and a car seat.

The older that LO gets the more fun I find it is to shop for. Personally, when I shop for someone's registry I won't buy clothing smaller than 6 months, diapers smaller than size 2, and try to focus on what they have on their registry for 6-9 months. Plus, it saves you from running out with a 6 month old to buy a ton of toys and clothes.
  • Options
    Agree with all PP I also wouldn't even bother registering for clothes unless it's a specialized item. You're going to get a ton of clothes, and people are just going to buy what they like.
  • Options
    I think it also depends on the amount of space you have. We have a huge basement so I'm more willing to purchase/register for larger things or things we won't use for awhile since we have somewhere to store them. If we lived in an apt I wouldn't register for large things we wouldn't use for several months to a year. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with most of the PP's.  Especially agree with not registering for clothes unless you're doing it for the discount some stores give on anything not purchased from the registry.  People tend to buy what they want in regards to clothing. 
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    mmk29mmk29 member
    The other advantage of registries is that they keep everything you want in a nice tidy list that you could check weekly for sales, even after you deliver. Plus you get completion coupons, so if you see something you want that might be for an older baby by all means place it on there. You might get an amazing sale and end up saving some money.
  • Options

Agreed with PP's. I personally would do anything for the first year. If you focus solely on the newborn stage, there really isn't a variety to purchase from. Newborns truly don't need much, a place to sleep, some swaddles or blankets, bottles, and a car seat.

The older that LO gets the more fun I find it is to shop for. Personally, when I shop for someone's registry I won't buy clothing smaller than 6 months, diapers smaller than size 2, and try to focus on what they have on their registry for 6-9 months. Plus, it saves you from running out with a 6 month old to buy a ton of toys and clothes.

I agree. The newborn stage is easy peasy compared to the 6 month old stage...that was my shopping/going anywhere nightmare stage in year one!