March 2015 Moms
Options

Normal crying fits or not?

Our 3 month old daughter is generally pretty even tempered. She never really cries without us being able to solve the problem..like being hungry. The only time we saw her cry hard was after her 2mo shots. Twice in the last two weeks now she's full out lost her mind...and we cant figure out why. The first time, my husband had handed her to my mom, who she's been with plenty of times, and she started crying to the point where she was so red and gagging, for like 30 minutes. Eventually she just called down. Now yesterday she did the same thing twice and was shaking she was crying so hard. Nothing calmed her down and eventually after 20 minutes she stopped. This happened at my parents house also. Is it normal for babies to just have fits of crying so hard out of seemingly nowhere? The only thing we thought is maybe she was overtired, but my mom is our babysitter and starting to get concerned that its only happened at her house. Its just so hard to see her get so red and upset when she's generally a happy baby!
Maybe I'm just overreacting, this is our first and i really have no other baby experience to compare to.

Re: Normal crying fits or not?

• Options
    Was she wet or hot? My LO had a crying fit for the first time last week and after ruling out hunger, gas and being tired, we figured out he had peed through his diaper and his onesie was completely wet. We were also not at home which added to his rage.

Not sure if that helps but my point that I just go down the list of things it could possibly be. If I couldn't figure it out, I'd call the doc.
  • Options
    My 2.5 month old did that today. She generally only cries when hungry, but today she was wailing and freaking out. She was changed, warm enough , had a nap and was refusing the breast. I eventually gave her oval for gas, a bubble bath and fed her some more and now she's sleeping. But Geeze what a day!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    She wasn't wet...i guess we'll se if it persists and check with the doctor!
  • Options
    My DD is 11 weeks and started doing that last week, mainly at night though. Not sure if it's just colic or if she is exhausted from the day (being a baby is a lot of work ya know
  • Options
    my LO is so even tempered too and she has started an all out fit throwing if she is not with me and I am in the room. I am not a nursing mom either so it floors me. She has also started this "I'm super tired but I am going to fight sleeping during the day!" It's been an all out power struggle for nap time! Let me know if you have any solutions! Maybe it's a phase?? I am praying it is!
  • Options
    Someone on here mentioned The Wonder Weeks awhile back... Google says the third "leap" is around 12 weeks and to expect clingy, cranky and crying during this time... My normally happy baby has had a rough time the past few days... I wonder if this is why!?! Maybe it's the same for your babe?

Anyone have the wonder week app? Is it worth it/helpful?

The one thing I learned from my first baby is that (sometimes fortunately and sometimes not), everything is a phase! The good and the bad- babies are constantly changing! Hang in there during the rough times! :)
  • Options
    My 11 week old has followed the wonder weeks app exactly. She has a really easy temperament but this week (12 weeks after her due date) is doing the crying for longer wanting to be held longer. I totally recommend the app! It's help me to understand these "stormy" days.
  • Options
    Thanks @Geniferr44! Think I will buy it ☺️
  • Options
    Yes!!! Download wonder weeks!! My baby follows the stormy days it really helps you not feel so helpless. My little guy is going through a rough patch or crying just because, I feel it helps him calm down.
  • Options
    Wow is comforting to see my baby is not the only one ..my son is 12 weeks and just did that twice ..he is a good calmed baby but last Saturday he lost it when his aunt was holding him we thought maybe he was too hot but I had never seen him cry that much and he also did it to my mother In law today he cried so much he was red I was starting to worry but after 10 minutes he stopped once he saw I was next to him too . I hope it is just a phase.
  • Options
    @EricandKaren I agree...download it! It gives you some insight and tells you what to look for and what to expect. It's great!

@Sunshi500 My LO just did this earlier. He's a great baby and never cries when it's just he and I at home together. But earlier, he just freaked and started wailing. He wasn't hungry (tried to nurse), wasn't wet...I thought maybe he was sleepy. I still think that's what it was because while daddy fed him tonight, he was falling asleep! If it wasn't that, no clue. I hate when he cries