October 2015 Moms
Options

Is anyone else having to take MiraLAX daily?

Before my pregnancy I suffered with constipation all of my life until I had my gallbladder removed almost a year ago. That seemed to fix all of my problems but now that I'm pregnant my digestive system is slowing down and I seem to get constipated very easily if I do not take MiraLAX daily. My doctor says it's safe to take not always believe everything I read on the Internet. Just wanted to know what other moms experiences were.

Re: Is anyone else having to take MiraLAX daily?

• Options
    I'm not having to take it anymore, but at the beginning of my pregnancy I had to due to severe constipation from my medicine.
  • Options
    I took it PP after DD, and I found that it wasn't great for my system over time. It worked too well after just a couple days, if that makes sense. I had been taking Colace, but my OB told me to switch to Miralax, and I went from feeling relief to need to drop everything. I would absolutely trust your doctor in this case, and do what will promote good digestive health for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep I've been taking it daily for about 2 months. I had severe constipation, had to use an enema at one point. They had me taking 2x a day for while but that was too much and I couldn't stop going. I also have to take zofran as needed for nausea and that makes my constipation worse. I would like to taper off so my body doesn't get so used to it. But if I have to take zofran like I did this weekend on our road trip(1 hour in puking at a gas station ;) ) then I will have to kick my dosage back up because the zofran makes it awful
  • Options
    I drink prune juice and eat prunes every day. Never used miralax, but I may need to.

First Time Mommy!

Due Date: Oct 11th 2015

• Options
    My doctor had me start on a probiotic instead. It has helped so much more than anything else! I now only take it a few days a week. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    journeygirl3journeygirl3 member
    edited June 2015
    i should be taking miralax daily as i suffer from bathroom issues as well - constipation and just a hard time going....had this my whole life...i've been taking colace, drinking prune juice and taking flax oil, and taking natural calm every now and again (powder magnesium supplement) helps a bit....oh and eat yogurt daily
  • Options
    I've been taking 200 mg of Colace daily for the last few weeks per recommended by my doctor.
  • Options
    On this topic, I'm still feeling nervous after every difficult bathroom trip and all the extreme straining.....I'm nervous this will cause a problem internally, assuming this can not? Anyone have feedback?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. @taralohse I tried the probiotics before I was pregnant and after a month of being on them my body seem to get used to them and it never worked again. @journeygirl3 I do eat a prune a day not a fan of prune juice. I think a lot of my problem is I have a hard time consuming the correct amount of water a day unless I'm outside in the sun my body just doesn't crave it. @kaseyhunter85 I have had to use a saline enema many times but I heard they're not very good for you during pregnancy. It may be more in later pregnancy because I think they can cause you to go into labor. I took Zofran also but it was a lower milligram and it dissolved underneath your tongue now that I think about it I think that's when I had my worst constipation.
  • Options
    I'm another one who was told by OB to take miralax daily. I switch between that and metamucil if it feels like the miralax isn't working quite as well as it should. My OB said both are fine to take on a daily basis pregnant or not.
  • Options
    If I eat a lot of bran cereal I poop like a champ! Or oatmeal. Anything high fiber and I drink about a gallon of water a day. I'm still not as regular as I used to be though. I never in my life thought I would miss pooping every day but I really do!
  • Options
    I'm definitely not trying to push anything on anyone or sell anything- I can just tell you what works for me! I take the plexus product biocleanse which is a magnesium supplement. I have been taking it for a while now and continued to take it during pregnancy. I take other products as well but is stopped during the first trimester because I was so sick. I didn't want to waste supplements I pay for. I recently started taking the biocleanse again and I have noticed that I am more regular with BMs and the leg cramps I have been experiencing like crazy have lessened! I always have been an advocate for drinking lots of water- but when I got pregnant- the thought of drinking water made me want to gag. A couple weeks ago I was feeling really awful and it turns out I was dehydrated. So I have been forcing myself to drink water like crazy and that has helped a lot as well! I hope you find some relief!! If anyone wants more info about it- feel free to ask! :)