December 2014 Moms
Options

Any moms use CIO with their LO?

sugarbug3212sugarbug3212 member
edited June 2015 in December 2014 Moms
i have been reading a lot, probably too much lately about baby sleep. My LO is just now turning 6 months and has started refusing to let me sit in the rocking chair to rock her, but she won't let me put her in the crib. So she cries/fusses while I sway and hold her for 2 minutes sometimes 5 minutes then goes to sleep. I can then put her in her crib without her waking up, and if she does open her eyes 9 times out of ten she goes back to sleep.

I guess my question is, is this too long to let her fuss trying to get her to fall asleep? How do you get your LO to sleep?

Re: Any moms use CIO with their LO?

• Options
    2-5 minutes of fussing is a bit enviable! Lately our LO starts to cry hysterically at bedtime and nap time. It can take up to an hour at bedtime to get him to sleep and that's with rocking/holding/bouncing and sometimes nursing to sleep. It's a battle! Unsure if it's teething, a developmental leap, separation anxiety or what.

But anyway, to answer your question, that doesn't sound like too long to let her fuss to me, especially because you're holding and comforting her.
  • Options
    This is in no way CIO... A few minutes of fussing while holding her? I'm not sure what your alternative would be?
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Crying it out in the arms of a loving parents is not the same as crying it out alone in a crib- as my ol' buddy Dr Sears would say.

Our nighttime routine is changing as well. I think it's age and events awareness.
  • Options
    Lately my LO will only fall asleep if he cries a bit first. Not sure what that's about but it is nerve racking. I feel so terrible. Rocking just makes him even more pissed. So lately I've been putting him down and patting his bum or holding his hand. Usually after 5-10 mins of whining/crying he is out. Letting him stay awake isn't an option. He gets CRANKY.
  • Options
    skbaum01 said:

2-5 minutes of fussing is a bit enviable! Lately our LO starts to cry hysterically at bedtime and nap time. It can take up to an hour at bedtime to get him to sleep and that's with rocking/holding/bouncing and sometimes nursing to sleep. It's a battle! Unsure if it's teething, a developmental leap, separation anxiety or what.

But anyway, to answer your question, that doesn't sound like too long to let her fuss to me, especially because you're holding and comforting her.

Couple minutes of fussiness is different from an hour of hysterics a couple times a day (nap and bed time). Maybe try an earlier sleep time or talk with your pediatrician.

Test
  • Options
    I don't know, I guess I'm feeling like I might be doing it wrong. All these parenting books, MIL, other people/ society pressures are getting to me. I don't let her fuss for more than 5-10 minutes, if she does I just abort mission and try again later. I don't have her on a schedule, just eat play sleep with about 2 hours in between. Some times she's up for 3 hours other days she can only make it an hour.

Many people: books say to get them on a schedule but I don't see how that is possible when naps are never the same length or we go some where. But she basically takes 3 naps a day and in general is a happy baby. But there are days where I feel like the books say I could be doing a better job. :(
  • Options

I don't know, I guess I'm feeling like I might be doing it wrong. All these parenting books, MIL, other people/ society pressures are getting to me. I don't let her fuss for more than 5-10 minutes, if she does I just abort mission and try again later. I don't have her on a schedule, just eat play sleep with about 2 hours in between. Some times she's up for 3 hours other days she can only make it an hour.

Many people: books say to get them on a schedule but I don't see how that is possible when naps are never the same length or we go some where. But she basically takes 3 naps a day and in general is a happy baby. But there are days where I feel like the books say I could be doing a better job. :(

Stop reading. Stop stop stop. They've never ever written a book about your unique baby and her particular personality and needs. And remember that a book saying "trust your instincts, they'll be fine" wouldn't make any money. They make money by selling *the only answer* which if they had, there wouldn't be anymore books.

Try to relax and just enjoy your baby. Don't compare or worry. You're doing a good job. In ten years her nap schedule will seem like a silly worry.
    imageimage

• Options

This. EXACTLY my life.
  • Options
    I just went to the pediatricians for her 6 month check up and the dr said no more binky sand I should put to bed awake and let her cry it out. I didn't mention her sleep habits at all she just looked at her with her binky and started spewing her own opinions. Ugh
  • Options
    ColeyCannoliColeyCannoli member
    edited June 2015

I just went to the pediatricians for her 6 month check up and the dr said no more binky sand I should put to bed awake and let her cry it out. I didn't mention her sleep habits at all she just looked at her with her binky and started spewing her own opinions. Ugh

There is no harm in a binky/paci until permanent teeth start to come in yeeears from now and why on earth would she tell you to let your baby cry without a soother? I worked pediatrics and never heard such a thing.

Find a new pedi. That's awful advice if you weren't even asking for any.

And again: you are doing a good job. There are a billion experts but your gut trumps all of them.

Edit: just to say once you find a doc you trust, listen to their advice on medical issues but never do anything you aren't comfortable with.
    imageimage

• Options
    @sugarbug3212 you definitely shouldn't feel like you're doing it wrong. My LO is the exact same way as what you described. You're doing great mama! Don't let any book or website tell you any different. If baby is happy and you're happy, keep it up!

I agree with Coley regarding your pedi. Your LO's paci preference at 6mo is irrelevant to her medical needs.