Cloth Diapering

Transitioning to solid foods - close to giving up on cloth!

Hi everyone,

My apologies, because I am sure this has been covered but I can never get the search thread to work! 

My son is 5.5 months old and just starting to experiment with solids.  I didn't even think he was swallowing any until last night - stinky diaper!

We use Softbums all-in-twos, which we love. We've been having trouble lately with them leaking - trying to size up but the superpod I put him in last night was a complete failure. Then, he had a nice sticky poop last night for the first time since trying solids.  I tried the dunk and swish, but ended up with my whole hand in the toilet and not much coming off the pod.  What am I doing wrong? I do have liners but he hasn't been regular lately.  Do you just use them all the time and flush them with diaper changes whether its wet or poopy?  Seems wasteful, not to mention the hassle of separating things from the diaper pail. And who knows how day care will handle it.

We are in escrow and moving out of state.  We'll be in a short term rental for a few months, so I don't really want to be installing and deinstalling diaper sprayers until we get settled. 

I am close to giving up on cloth for now, and I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it!  With leaks to the sheets 3 of the last 4 nights waking up the kid that'll otherwise sleep through the night, plus the sticky poop, it's getting to be too much!

We wash them all ourselves and line dry, by the way.  It's easy here in so Cal - will be a bit tougher in Seattle!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Transitioning to solid foods - close to giving up on cloth!

• I leave my diaper in the toilet for a soak of the poop won't come off. In all keep tongs and yellow gloves by the toilet for messy jobs.
  • It took me less than 5 minutes to install my diaper sprayer. Didn't require any tools, either, the directions said to only finger-tighten all the pieces. It shouldn't be a big deal.

When we lived in England we couldn't install a sprayer because all the plumbing was hidden behind a wall. We had a designated piece of plastic for scraping, it was really easy.

During the "peanut butter poo" phase we used liners. That phase lasted about a month. It gets easier to get the poo off when they are eating more solid foods. But honestly DS didn't eat significant amounts of solids until about 1 year old.

Why will it be tougher in Seattle? (I'm in Seattle)

PipSqueak0313
  • Loading the player...
  • I keep a piece of plastic, aka a commercial pan scraper, in an old coffee can with old rags in the bottom for the times when I just need a little extra help since I don't have a sprayer. I have used SoftBums as well but I didn't start with them until ds2 was older. Are you trying to go up from the smaller nb pod to the OS pod and having trouble with leaks or.....?

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Invest in a spray pal and sprayer! Spray Pal about $20 and allow you to clip and shield the diaper while you spray it off.
  • Oh and disposable/compostable bamboo liners that you can flush.
  • shantyrae said:

Invest in a spray pal and sprayer! Spray Pal about $20 and allow you to clip and shield the diaper while you spray it off.

I definitely agree! The Spray Pal sprayer and shield are a game changer for starting solids :) You can get them bundled with free shipping on their site.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    shantyrae
  • Just a warning about flushable liners - our news program did a consumer report on them and have reported them to be HORRIBLE for septic/sewer systems.  Basically, just because it can be flushed, doesn't mean it should be.  Plumbers curse them.
    ChichigoAmbermom043twomommiestobe
  • We've moved around a bunch and DH didn't want to install the sprayer. Then when he had to change a nasty, he couldn't install it to the apt.s' toliet. We've just had to keep swishing the best we can. Thankfully, the washer gets everything off. We don't line dry, but good for you! (We double pre-rinse then wash with detergent and vinegar.)

I understand if it's tough, but I'd encourage you not to completely give up on them. Part-time no-chemicals is still healthier (and cheaper) than full-time chemicals.
  • I have a question, just got my spray pal in. We are just starting to get into solids, once a day for dinner and then i started sending an oz of food into daycare as a snack today. My question is: do you spray each diaper as you go? or do you do all the diapers at once before you wash? I wash every two-three days so I don't know how the solids would come off after sitting for a couple of days in the pal before spraying. TYIA!
  • I have a question, just got my spray pal in. We are just starting to get into solids, once a day for dinner and then i started sending an oz of food into daycare as a snack today. My question is: do you spray each diaper as you go? or do you do all the diapers at once before you wash? I wash every two-three days so I don't know how the solids would come off after sitting for a couple of days in the pal before spraying. TYIA!
    If we are at home, I spray as we go ... if we are out or if I have daycare diapers I just take care of them at the end of each day.
    crsanchez87
  • We always use a liner. If just pee you can rinse it (if you want, or toss). We have septic so no flushing... the poop plops right out into toilet, and I put the liner in the garbage. Liners are a lifesaver!!
  • Hook up a sprayer!! Seriously it takes longer to read how to do it than it takes to do it!! Had mine hooked up in 30 seconds!!
    As for when I wash off poop, it depends on my mood!! Most the time I spray as we go, but recently the 2yo has been pooping 2-3 times a day and the 8mo 4-5 times, so I was sick of spraying poop and have changed to doing it 2 times a day! Once during nap time and once after bedtime!! It saves the sanity!!
    Good luck mamas! And know you are doing a great job!!
    crsanchez87
  • Sprayer for the win. 

Also, on the liners there are the paper liners and the more cloth-like liners. I'd recommend the former if you have a septic system. Bummis makes nice paper liners (think toilet paper, but the more like the thickness of paper towels). 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Coming into this discussion late, but I use sometimes G-diaper liners with Rumparooz; I have a 7 1/2 month old. I actually started cloth diapering during the peanut butter poop stage, so it was quite discouraging! Now I just keep rubber gloves nearby for the occasional difficult diaper, but I usually don't need much. I use the liners only occasionally, but they're a life saver when we are going out somewhere and she poops. I either flush them right away or I bag the liners separately and throw them away at home in the Diaper Genie (going to good use since the switch!). As for nighttime leaks, I actually triple layer her diapers right now with no success. About half the time she wakes up wet. It doesn't seem to disturb her, but I would prefer a dry baby! I am hoping once her nighttime feedings stop she will not have such a full bladder overnight.