Babies on the Brain
Options

How early is too early....

How early is too early to start planning and purchasing baby items (ex: strollers, car seats)? We are going to start TTC January 2016. I already bought a baby bag. I just couldn't help myself.

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Options
    We are planning to start TTC in a few months, and I am guilty of picking up a few items of clothing, baby books, and I've been collecting Disney movies, I couldn't help it!  But we decided not to buy larger items (crib, stroller, car seat, etc.) until we are actually pregnant.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    The only thing I occasionally buy is kids books that are cute, but I'll let friends' kids use them when visiting. I've actually done that since even before I was married.
  • Options
    I can totally relate.  DH and I just started TTC and I have been dying to start picking up a few things (Baby GAP kills me), but I have been holding off mostly because DH says we should wait until we a) are pregnant and b) know whether we will have a girl or boy.  That being said, it is your money and your future pregnancy.  If you want to pick up a few things here and there go ahead!  Though, it would probably be smart to wait until you are pregnant to buy anything with safety ratings/expiry dates (car seats in particular).  
  • Options
    It never crossed my mind to buy anything baby related pre-baby. Why step into the possible pain that could cause if something goes wrong/doesn't work out?
  • Options
    I'm with jnnfrrose6.  I don't want to build it up until I'm sure it's definitely happening. We're TTC after a vacation in May 2016. To prep, I am buying books, however: TCOYF, among others to make sure I'm making educated decisions about some things and not just emotional ones. Sometimes the best planning you can do is not about the physical "stuff" for baby.
    DH: 29
    Me: 27
    Married 9/20/14 
    BFP: 7/3/16
    EDD: 3/13/17

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    You know another good point of not to buy things too soon, is because if you wait- there are most likely to be newer things out there for babies that weren't before on the market. Also, if your buying at buy buy baby, it helps to collect as many coupons as possible cause it gets super expensive! Their return policy sucks too, if you have something for over a year they give you problems to return it( I know cause I tried lol). So maybe you could collect just the coupons first to be ready for buying. We were living in a building so we would collect coupons from the trash in the mail room( I know that's terrible, but they take it!! and if your friends and family get those in the mail- take them! $5 here and there goes a long way!) If you plan to have a shower- you will also receive lots of gifts.. or even without one- you get many gifts after the announcement!
  • Options
    Thanks for the feed back! Great tip on the coupons! I'll start stocking up!
  • Options
    Two other things to keep in mind....

Don't stock up on items that commonly cause sensitivities (formula, bottles, diapers, lotions, detergent, etc).  You don't know if you'll have a sensitive baby or if certain brands/styles will work better for you.  

If you live in a place with seasons, don't buy clothes.  You have no idea what size your LO will be in, and you don't want to be stuck with 9m summer clothes if your baby is wearing that size in the middle of a snowstorm.

I agree with other ladies who recommend caution-after a loss, everything that reminds you of your child is painful.  Some women may be able to handle that better than I can, but there's really no need to put yourself through that.  I guarantee there will be a sale (or 20) when you're actually pregnant.
  • Options
    I agree with not buying too much too early. If it takes you a lot of time TTC, it can be a sad reminder every time you get your period. The only thing we bought early was a bigger safer car. We knew we were planning on starting a family so when we needed a new car, we only looked at SUVs and vans.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker