1st Trimester
Options

Pregnant and emetophobic, anyone??

I am 7 weeks pregnant with my first and I have suffered with emetophobia (phobia of vomiting) for the past 12 years. I am wondering if anyone else is in the same position? It can be a scary time, especially in the beginning, and thought it might be nice for us to have some support in each other! I have been doing well so far, but just thought I would put it out there :)

Re: Pregnant and emetophobic, anyone??

• Options
    I am petrified of vomiting too and will do anything to avoid it. I'm almost 12 weeks now and most of my MS occured between 4-8 weeks but I didnt vomit, thank goodness. I came close a few times, but I kept telling myself it is all worth it in the end. Its definitely scary but whenever I felt terrible I just took some deep breaths and napped. That seemed to help. But now I can't even think of ginger or I want to gag, haha. I associate it with my constant nausea from those few weeks.

It's almost completely gone now as long as I don't skip a meal. Now I panic thinking about vomiting during labor, but at this point there's no turning back.

I hope you have it easy! It's scary not knowing whether it will be severe or not, but just keep thinking about the perfect little bundle of joy in the end. :x
  • Options
    This is me too! It was my biggest fear before getting pregnant and my biggest fear after. I'm 9 weeks now and have been nauseous on and off the past few weeks, but so far have been spared any vomiting. Fingers crossed I make it the rest of the way. I've heard horror stories of women vomiting daily for 9 months. The thought of doing it even once gets me so worked up. I was so glad to see a post from someone with the same issue. Other people don't really understand it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am emetophobic as well, and while I had nausea with both of my pregnancies, I never actually gagged or threw up. Ginger chews, ginger ale, peppermint candies, and peppermint tea helped. 
  • Options
    Read my comment on your other post :)
  • Options
    I am petrified of vomiting too and will do anything to avoid it. I'm almost 12 weeks now and most of my MS occured between 4-8 weeks but I didnt vomit, thank goodness. I came close a few times, but I kept telling myself it is all worth it in the end. Its definitely scary but whenever I felt terrible I just took some deep breaths and napped. That seemed to help. But now I can't even think of ginger or I want to gag, haha. I associate it with my constant nausea from those few weeks. It's almost completely gone now as long as I don't skip a meal. Now I panic thinking about vomiting during labor, but at this point there's no turning back. I hope you have it easy! It's scary not knowing whether it will be severe or not, but just keep thinking about the perfect little bundle of joy in the end. :x
    Glad you're doing better girl! Good news, my friend who also has this phobia had a LONG and PAINFUL labor with NO sickness! :) She asked ahead of time for anti-emetics to be on hand and they did the trick. Best of luck to you :) You're right, it will all be SO worth it!
  • Options
    mypeeps27 said:
    This is me too! It was my biggest fear before getting pregnant and my biggest fear after. I'm 9 weeks now and have been nauseous on and off the past few weeks, but so far have been spared any vomiting. Fingers crossed I make it the rest of the way. I've heard horror stories of women vomiting daily for 9 months. The thought of doing it even once gets me so worked up. I was so glad to see a post from someone with the same issue. Other people don't really understand it.
    So true! It is hard to understand from an outside perspective! Glad to know there are plenty of us on here though :) I have been in emet-"remission" for a few months, but the pregnancy has me on high alert again! I had a gagging episode that brought things into reality for me and now I am taking more precautions! I think if you've made it to 9 weeks, you're likely to have nausea only :)
  • Options
    I am emetophobic as well, and while I had nausea with both of my pregnancies, I never actually gagged or threw up. Ginger chews, ginger ale, peppermint candies, and peppermint tea helped. 
    peppermint tea is such a life saver!! Glad those worked for you too! :)