February 2016 Moms
Options

Positive Tests, skeptical Dr?

I guess this starts by saying my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about nine months now. I'm 23 and have never had a sunburn except once when I was on heavy doses of antibiotics 5 years ago for wisdom teeth removal. Well I got a heck of a burn yesterday and I had planned to have some wine last night. A nagging thought had me going to get a test, as my only thought behind the burn was a change in my hormone levels.
I bought the two pack of clear blue plus, the first one came back positive but, I had dipped it into the toilet after urinating on it (thought it was supposed to turn pink and missed it or something, apparently) I was worried this caused a false positive (with some reading I've learned they're very uncommon) I took a second test regardless a few hours later, also came back positive. So I made an appointment today. Dr asked me about symptoms and I realized... Aside from the sunburn, I don't think I've had any. No nausea, tenderness, etc. I've had mild mini almost period like cramps the last 3 or so days (last period was 4 weeks ago) and my sense of small could be a bit off but hard to tell. He seemed very skeptical about my pregnancy results as I've had no symptoms.
It's been a stressful month so I expected a later period I guess.

Basically I'm looking for some insight, does it make sense to get two positive tests a day after your period is due, but have like no symptoms?

Pregnancy Ticker

23 DH is 25
                                         Married August 9th, 2014
                                                    First Baby!

Re: Positive Tests, skeptical Dr?

• Options
    Sounds like your doctor is an idiot, since a positive is a positive even if you have no symptoms.

Congrats on your pregnancy, and see a new doctor if you can since I wouldn't wanna deliver with that one. Lol
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I personally like the pink dye tests. Pick some up and put your mind at ease! Some days I have no symptoms and some days I have some that I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't know I was pregnant. Good luck! Also, I tested the day day after my missed period and I had no symptoms either

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    A lot of people don't have any symptoms until they are at least 6-7 weeks in, so dont worry too much ;) 
  • Options
    I had little to no symptoms, ESPECIALLY EARLY ON, when I was pregnant with my son. At this point in the game, I'm symptomless even. I agree with others that I don't wholly trust a doctor who has no clue that you could be without symptoms.

And on a side note, though I highly doubt your positive results are false, blue dye tests are more likely to give a false positive than pink dye tests. First Response is a brand of pink dye tests (I can't remember any others right now, just how frustrated I was trying to figure it out at the store in the beginning).

I say congrats!
    -Kimberly :) 
    My Ridiculous Chart                                                    
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Please go find a new doctor! A line is a line and symptoms can come and go. You may not every really get symptoms(if you're lucky) your doctor should know this. Was this you're obgyn or a general practice doctor?
  • Options
    I agree with PP's change doctors. I didn't have symptoms with DS in the first Tri other than being tired.
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • Options
    Did this doctor give you a test? I really can't believe a doctor would be so stupid.
  • Options
    Okay actually I can but still...
  • Options
    Yeah that's silly. A + is a +. Lots of people don't get symptoms right away.
  • Options

Please go find a new doctor! A line is a line and symptoms can come and go. You may not every really get symptoms(if you're lucky) your doctor should know this. Was this you're obgyn or a general practice doctor?

He's a family doctor (now) I'm in NB Canada and have been on the wait list for a doctor since last year, the only thing that guarantees you a Dr is pregnancy. An OB will be doing my prenatal care after the first trimester. He took me on as a patient but did seem skeptical and confused about my lack of symptoms. Granted, so am I. I'm not getting my hopes 100% up until the blood test this afternoon. I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either right, or pleasantly surprised :P

Pregnancy Ticker

23 DH is 25
                                             Married August 9th, 2014
                                                        First Baby!
  • Options
    It's not uncommon for symptoms not to show up right away. With both my boys I felt great till about 6/7 weeks then it was like getting hit with a Mac truck! So don't worry you will feel like shit soon enough :) hopefully unicorn shit cause at least it's pretty!image
  • Options
    What is wrong with these doctors? I wasn't sick at all through my entire pregnancy. Only symptoms I had in the beginning were heartburn and breaking out. Congrats on your BFP.
  • Options
    Yeah my first time around I had heartburn and my boobs hurt so bad I wanted to cry. I could hardly stand showering because the water hitting my boobs was torture. Not really anything yet this time other than a bit of nausea.